Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 07:55:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 Megathread v2 (pg 35 - Emily List support)  (Read 58985 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: January 30, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »

Warren's momentum is surging. Recently she's been endorsed by 45 Michigan electeds, the Oregon House Speaker, UNITE-HERE Local 11, 3,000 activists, and the Storm Lake Times. A poll recently came out with her favorables the highest in Iowa, and the least % of Democrats would be disappointed by her nomination. Meanwhile Sanders' net favorables plummeted by 20 points.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »

Warren's momentum is surging. Recently she's been endorsed by 45 Michigan electeds, the Oregon House Speaker, UNITE-HERE Local 11, 3,000 activists, and the Storm Lake Times. A poll recently came out with her favorables the highest in Iowa, and the least % of Democrats would be disappointed by her nomination. Meanwhile Sanders' net favorables plummeted by 20 points.

That’s a bizarre way of looking at momentum when she’s stayed stagnant or she’d support in most polls
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »

I wouldn't be shocked if she outperformed her supposed current standing.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »

Unprecedented levels of cringe from Warren here. Hopefully Klobuchar can put this disastrous identity politics campaign out of its misery.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #479 on: January 30, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »

Unprecedented levels of cringe from Warren here. Hopefully Klobuchar can put this disastrous identity politics campaign out of its misery.

If you look hard enough, you can find a young trans person who approves of even Betsy Devos. The Warren campaign has been pure cringe so far this year.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #480 on: January 30, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2020, 12:47:42 PM by GP270watch »

What's so cringe about having a Secretary of Education who will protect the most vulnerable instead of a billionaire know-nothing airhead who is a christofascist. One who wants to gut public education, saddle students with debt and promote for-profit education instead.

The ridiculous identity politics belong to the right.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #481 on: January 30, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »

It's desperate pandering to a community that has no interest in supporting Warren.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #482 on: January 30, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »

For those implying that Warren was somehow a conservative when she was a Republican (she was almost certainly more liberal than Joe Biden):

Also:

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #483 on: January 30, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »

I think this is just a stunt to win rich white suburban women
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #484 on: January 31, 2020, 01:28:04 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2020, 01:31:05 AM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

I thought she had plan for everything, but she couldn't answer a simple question. Well, she is used to CNN & MSNBC. They don't ask tough questions.

Bernie and Pete went to Fox News Town Hall. Warren didn't. This video explains why.

The counterpoints are staggeringly bad, even when they don't rely on the rhetorical trick of equating arguments for higher ed reform with arguments for universal debt forgiveness.

"An entire generation is getting screwed." No, that's only a minority who either drop out with debt or who graduate with more than they can afford. Even now, many Americans do not attend college, and most graduates are in much better financial shape:

The typical graduate is unlikely to reach their full earnings potential for many years, but average earnings straight out of a four-year degree are in the high $40s. Following an unambitious payment schedule, the typical debtor can expect to reduce their student loans to below the list price of a Nissan Versa by the end of their twenties. And most graduates have the means to be more ambitious.

When all else fails, they fall back to calling critics selfish, as if there were no other morally just way to spend $1.6 trillion.

In fairness, any college graduate who believes that "the idea that a bachelor’s degree nowadays is a springboard to high earnings is false" clearly has been cheated. They have graduated without basic skills in research or critical thinking.

Clearly all else being equal, a college education is a big plus, and so a blanket debt cancellation for everyone would be unsound.  But even with a substantially higher income on average, there can be wide variation in the distribution.  Some populations, including some among those with the largest debt loads, might not be in as great financial shape.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #485 on: January 31, 2020, 01:29:24 AM »

It's desperate pandering to a community that has no interest in supporting Warren.

why do you say they don't have interest in supporting Warren?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #486 on: January 31, 2020, 10:05:14 AM »

Those people don’t “get nothing”. The point of these reforms is to radically reduce the cost of college.

Every discussion of student loan forgiveness seems to turn on the trick of wrapping up debt cancellation with higher education reform, but the reality is that one does not imply the other. We could make public colleges free tomorrow without forgiving a dollar of student debt.

Moreover, we could make those loans dischargeable through bankruptcy, force schools to eat at least some of the debt held by drop-outs, make public service debt forgiveness programs better, and so on without a jubilee. It's dishonest to treat this as an all or nothing question when every Democratic candidate other than Sanders and Warren has a more targeted plan for the problem.

Warren’s proposed plans to pay for public college as well as wipe out student loan debt. The people who deferred continuing their education due to the costs will be able to do so after that.

But, for a wide variety of reasons, most of them won't.

Universal debt cancellation is a $1.6 trillion dollar boondoggle directed mostly toward well-off voters who are likely to support Warren, cloaked as a social benefit for "vulnerable populations."

Don't bother trying to sell me on it. If I join that class war, I intend to be on the side of working people.

We have people who paid student loan debt when college was more affordable and we have incoming generations who will have easier access to free community college.

So I would think its only fair that we go to a repayment system that bases it off 5% of your discretionary income after the first 25,000 you  earn.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #487 on: January 31, 2020, 10:16:44 AM »

Her campaign is beyond embarrassing at this point. Hopefully, she crashes and burns with 4th place in both Iowa and NH and then promptly drops out.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #488 on: January 31, 2020, 11:18:34 AM »

If you look hard enough, you can find a young trans person who approves of even Betsy Devos. The Warren campaign has been pure cringe so far this year.

Nice try, guys.

These desperate attacks are getting more and more shameless. First it was that Warren was going to censor free speech (actually it was voter suppression via misinformation, which frankly is amazingly not already illegal), now this. I expect more of this nonsense this week.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #489 on: January 31, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »

It would be in her best interest to lose in Iowa. It will put a quick end to her campaign and save her the humility that she will face later on in the race.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #490 on: January 31, 2020, 12:45:11 PM »

This thread is going to be hilarious if she somehow does well on Tuesday. That being said if she does do poorly as most are expecting, her campaign is one of the best positioned to last through Super Tuesday no matter what. There's no real point in dropping out when anything can happen. Keep amassing delegates as long as you can, you never know when a sudden scandal might take down another candidate.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #491 on: January 31, 2020, 01:01:10 PM »

If she is losing every state she is going to run out of money sooner or later. I would bet sooner.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #492 on: January 31, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »

This thread is going to be hilarious if she somehow does well on Tuesday. That being said if she does do poorly as most are expecting, her campaign is one of the best positioned to last through Super Tuesday no matter what. There's no real point in dropping out when anything can happen. Keep amassing delegates as long as you can, you never know when a sudden scandal might take down another candidate.

Or a health related crisis for one of the two old men. Klobuchar already seems to be in real trouble with her scandal and the NAACP and BLM demanding she withdraw and Mayor Pete will likely drop out after losing Iowa. Warren also has decent organizational strength in NV.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2020, 03:25:23 AM »

No major issues with Warren on policy related items, but starting to wonder if her gamble and stunt of challenging Bernie on "Lying" might start to explain some of the recent polling shifts that we have seen recently ....

Dunno if there is anything close to cause and effect, but it appears apparent that Warren voting block has collapsed, while at the same time Bernie is a surgin'
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2020, 03:32:26 AM »

No major issues with Warren on policy related items, but starting to wonder if her gamble and stunt of challenging Bernie on "Lying" might start to explain some of the recent polling shifts that we have seen recently ....

Dunno if there is anything close to cause and effect, but it appears apparent that Warren voting block has collapsed, while at the same time Bernie is a surgin'

I don't think it has much to do with that.  From my perspective, what's happening is that a lot of progressives are coalescing around the more viable choice.  Warren and Sanders had a mini-primary and it's been pretty clear for two months now that Warren lost it.  Many of her supporters held out hope that she could make a comeback but are now moving to Bernie's camp.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #495 on: February 01, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #496 on: February 01, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »

Warren is the only Presidential candidate in my whole life who I am actually excited to vote for because of her own policies and attributes. She's not somebody I wanted to vote for defensively, or who I was skeptical of, or who I had to hold my nose and vote for like Gore/Lieberman.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #497 on: February 01, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #498 on: February 02, 2020, 12:00:53 AM »

I still really like Warren, and I will enthusiastically support her as the nominee if we’re so lucky. But at the moment, it definitely looks like the energy and momentum is going in Bernie’s direction.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #499 on: February 02, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies