College Newspaper Apologizes For Basic Journalism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:16:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  College Newspaper Apologizes For Basic Journalism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: College Newspaper Apologizes For Basic Journalism  (Read 1926 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »

The editorial board of a college newspaper is apologizing for mistakes made when covering a visit by Jeff Sessions. They contacted students to ask if they'd be willing to be interviewed, and retraumatized students by photographing the event. They hope they can rebuild trust that was lost through their mistakes.

I wish I was kidding.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/11/10/lateststories/addressing-the-dailys-coverage-of-sessions-protests/
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »

The Weakest Generation

also, in before the Jr. Mods explain why this story isn't worthy enough
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »

It's not like they are the only ones who are this way. They aren't going around saying that they want to sue the press. Yeah. I get it. It sucks but this isn't about kids being cucks or snowflakes or whatever.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:36:06 AM »

The Weakest Generation

I'd say Okay Boomer, but you're young enough to know better.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »

The Weakest Generation

k
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »

I need more context before making any judgements.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »

The Weakest Generation

k

The weakest generation is the one that claims they don't get offended by anything and then meltdown at everything that is the modern world.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

The Weakest Generation

k

The weakest generation is the one that claims they don't get offended by anything and then meltdown at everything that is the modern world.
Calling an entire generation weak crybabies while crying about mods.
///Weak.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:35 AM »

The Weakest Generation

k

///Weak.

Sad, even!
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »

The Weakest Generation

You rang?

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:55:05 PM »

The editorial board of a college newspaper is apologizing for mistakes made when covering a visit by Jeff Sessions. They contacted students to ask if they'd be willing to be interviewed, and retraumatized students by photographing the event. They hope they can rebuild trust that was lost through their mistakes.

I wish I was kidding.

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2019/11/10/lateststories/addressing-the-dailys-coverage-of-sessions-protests/

Speaking of trauma and mods (or lack thereof), the comments section after the article is hilarious.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »

Ashamed of how weak my fellow youth are in this country.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »

I’m getting tired of these stories not because I don’t think they’re worth paying attention to, but because the sheer volume of these types of stories - what’s the word - triggers me.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »

I was utterly convinced until the final line of this editorial that I was reading something brilliantly satirical, on the level of the Babylon Bee.

I could not be more shocked that this is how far the journalism program at such a vaunted college has fallen.

These are not journalists.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »

The Weakest Generation

k

///Weak.
a "Jr Mod" is, by definition, not a mod.  Thanks for playing.
The Weakest Generation

k

I have no idea what generation you're talking about.  I don't know of a generation that doesn't complain about anything.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »

Im still trying to figure out what "traumatic event" they were covering? All it otherwise talks about is a speech by the former Attorney General to a group of college Republicans that no one was required to attend. If that's what counts as a "traumatic event" now, then Gabriel should just go ahead and blow the trumpets.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »

Badgers probably older than Dead0Man lol
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:32 PM »

The Weakest Generation

I mean, it’s objectively not important. There are tens of thousands of college newspapers, and probably millions of student organizations at colleges throughout this country. The last time one of these “College Threads” was important enough for a thread, to me, was when the Ole Miss students shot up the Emmett Till memorial - but nobody made a thread for that. Wonder why?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »

The Weakest Generation

I mean, it’s objectively not important. There are tens of thousands of college newspapers, and probably millions of student organizations at colleges throughout this country. The last time one of these “College Threads” was important enough for a thread, to me, was when the Ole Miss students shot up the Emmett Till memorial - but nobody made a thread for that. Wonder why?
I don't know why you didn't make a thread about it.  Was there something stopping you?  Worried that a Jr Mod would chastise you?  Don't worry about that man.  See, it's just not that big of a deal what threads go where and the posters that do care should have more important things to worry about.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »

Im still trying to figure out what "traumatic event" they were covering? All it otherwise talks about is a speech by the former Attorney General to a group of college Republicans that no one was required to attend. If that's what counts as a "traumatic event" now, then Gabriel should just go ahead and blow the trumpets.

I think the bit they were apologizing for was publishing the names of these random students so that people with nothing better to do could start harassing/threatening them etc.?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »

I think the bit they were apologizing for was publishing the names of these random students so that people with nothing better to do could start harassing/threatening them etc.?

Not to mention, the fact that Northwestern is a private university means that, unlike a public university, the university could very well choose to punish those named students for having taken part in the protest if they wanted to do so.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »

Not to mention, the fact that Northwestern is a private university means that, unlike a public university, the university could very well choose to punish those named students for having taken part in the protest if they wanted to do so.

How is that traumatic though? Being seen is the logical outcome of being in public.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »

I’m getting tired of these stories not because I don’t think they’re worth paying attention to, but because the sheer volume of these types of stories - what’s the word - triggers me.

It's the sort of death-by-a-thousand-papercuts type of thing that conservatives get when living in hyper liberal areas (basically all mainstream college campuses count). It doesn't really mean much for the nation's governance as a whole, but it sure does color one's vantage points on things.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:49 PM »

The Weakest Generation

Random Ole Miss students shooting up a memorial was disgusting, and pretty much everyone acknowledges this.

Here, the staff of a college newspaper reacted in a particular way to pressure from the community, so it's an indictment of a larger group of people as we consider the circumstances under which anyone could have believed that this was the right thing to do.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »

I'll admit that this is absurd, as are many similar stories of what goes on in certain colleges. There, I said it. Now conservatives are more than welcome to criticize some of the "issues" on their side when it comes up.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies