Potential 2023 GOP nominees for KY governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:17:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Potential 2023 GOP nominees for KY governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Potential 2023 GOP nominees for KY governor?  (Read 3008 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »

I know that it's probably way too early to ask this question, as Democrat Andy Beshear literally JUST defeated incumbent governor Matt Bevin, but you have to wonder, where do the Republicans go from here to take back the governor's mansion? Considering the partisan leanings of the state, the Republicans probably don't have to worry too much about winning back the seat, especially if the Democrats lose the traction that they currently have by 2023. However, it doesn't hurt to speculate who the Kentucky GOP might nominate during the next gubernatorial election. Could lame duck and soon-to-be former governor Matt Bevin come back to take back his throne? Could some state congressman take the bid? Is this question being asked way too prematurely? Who knows!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »

Difficult not to look to the Congressional bench for recruits — Barr, Guthrie, and especially Comer (who ran in 2015, and is young enough to run again in '23) are all names who might be interested. Also a solid bench (re)elected to statewide office this cycle: Allison Ball, Ryan Quarles, and perhaps the most obvious first choice, Daniel Cameron.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:35:57 AM »

I have no idea who the Republican will be, but I'm sure that most Republican politicians in the state are thinking about it. Beshear will have a very difficult time getting re-elected in 2023.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »

Difficult not to look to the Congressional bench for recruits — Barr, Guthrie, and especially Comer (who ran in 2015, and is young enough to run again in '23) are all names who might be interested. Also a solid bench (re)elected to statewide office this cycle: Allison Ball, Ryan Quarles, and perhaps the most obvious first choice, Daniel Cameron.

Both Ball and Quarles will be term-limited in 2023, so it'd make sense for both of them to run if they want to continue their political careers. Cameron would probably be better of running for an easy re-election than fight it out in what is likely to be a crowded primary.

How about Robert Goforth? Does he have a potential future career in KY? He had a surprisingly strong result against Bevin in the primary and is rather young. Though I'm unsure how much of that is actual political talent and how much was people just hating Bevin and looking for any alternative they could find.   
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:41:01 AM »

I would go with Alison Ball-- she won her reelection by the largest margin of any Republican, with a particularly impressive showing in the coalfields, is a woman, still young, etc... If I had to guess though, she would lose the primary to most of the other officeholders.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »

Hopefully Cameron.
JMT

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »

Both Ball and Quarles will be term-limited in 2023, so it'd make sense for both of them to run if they want to continue their political careers. Cameron would probably be better of running for an easy re-election than fight it out in what is likely to be a crowded primary.

How about Robert Goforth? Does he have a potential future career in KY? He had a surprisingly strong result against Bevin in the primary and is rather young. Though I'm unsure how much of that is actual political talent and how much was people just hating Bevin and looking for any alternative they could find.   

I think James Comer is a likely candidate. He ran in 2015, expressed interest in the governor's race this year, and wouldn't have to give up his Congressional seat to run. If he were to lose, he'd still be in Congress, so there's little risk in him running.

I agree that any of the reelected statewide officials (Mike Harmon, Allison Ball, or Ryan Quarles) would consider running for governor as well, given they will all be term limited. You may get one or more of them to run for governor, or perhaps some of them will run for each other's positions so they don't have to compete in primaries against each other (e.g. Mike Harmon runs for State Treasurer, or something).

Given his strong showing in the primary, perhaps Robert Goforth makes another run in 2023. But I think that his strong showing was likely due to him being the "non-Bevin" candidate.

I think Daniel Cameron is unlikely to run for Governor in 2023, given that he is in his first term and can afford to wait to run for higher office. He wouldn't want to risk losing the primary, or losing the general election to Beshear. Cameron will likely win reelection as AG easily, and could run for Governor in 2027 if Beshear wins reelection in 2023, or could run for Senate when Mitch McConnell or Rand Paul retires from the Senate.

And lastly, I wouldn't rule out Bevin running again in 2023, he seems pretty stubborn. I doubt he wins the Republican nomination again, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him trying to run again.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies