Michael Bloomberg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:01:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Michael Bloomberg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36
Author Topic: Michael Bloomberg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 50778 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: February 13, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »

https://twitter.com/Chris_arnade/status/1227862668154953728?s=20
@Chris_arnade

Clear now why the guy hates big gulps
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #426 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:44 PM »

I totally agree with this advice for career growth.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #427 on: February 13, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »

So the response to why endorsing Bush is progressive is ‘9/11 was bad’. Much as I thought. Bloomberg’s rise really shows how much the ‘Bernie’s not even a democrat’ critique was made in bad faith.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #428 on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:52 PM »

So the response to why endorsing Bush is progressive is ‘9/11 was bad’. Much as I thought. Bloomberg’s rise really shows how much the ‘Bernie’s not even a democrat’ critique was made in bad faith.

Bloomberg never attacked the Democratic Party as far as I know.  Bernie has been doing it his entire life.

Bloomberg has spent billions in recent years helping the Democratic Party.  His candidates got elected in 21/25 contests in 2018 and are a big reason why we have a House majority.  Meanwhile Bernie won't even share his fundraising list with the party (which all other candidates do) and his slate of candidates got humiliated and demolished in 2018.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #429 on: February 13, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: February 13, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »

Dishonest hit piece.  He hasn't been accused of sexual harassment 40 times.

some 40 sex discrimination and sexual harassment lawsuits brought against him and his organizations by 64 women over the past several decades.

He runs several huge organizations.  Harassment lawsuits are inevitable; bad people will get through no matter how thorough your screening is.   They aren't against him personally.

The best this article could come up with for linking to him personally is the "kill it" quote and the quote book.  Both of these issues were already hashed out in the NYC mayoral election.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #431 on: February 13, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »

My advice is you should see a doctor about bladder damage
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #432 on: February 13, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »

Keep telling yourself he's a Democrat.

Annatar
Australia

« Reply #433 on: February 13, 2020, 11:31:31 PM »

I think Bloomberg would be crushed by Trump but to be fair he seems to be the only democrat with a rational economic message, he's right that cutting corporate taxes is much better for the economy than cutting individual taxes, corporate tax cuts do much more to stimulate investment. Ideally corporate taxes would be really low, say 5% whereas individual tax rates would be as high as required to pay for what the government was doing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #434 on: February 13, 2020, 11:32:57 PM »

The United States had one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world prior to the Trump Tax Cuts.  It was 35%.  Trump lowered it to 21%.  Bloomberg wants to raise it to 28%, right in the middle of the two.  Oh, the heresy!

Notice how Bloomberg also says that the individual tax cuts (mostly on upper income individuals) were bad.  He wants to raise the income tax in the top bracket and raise the capital gains tax.  You can read all the details of his real tax plan here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/01/billionaire-mike-bloomberg-calls-for-tax-on-incomes-over-5-million.html

or, you can get your information from Rose Twitter.  It wont be accurate, but it will make you feel angry, which I guess is kind of like feeling good.

Why on earth does this Bernie Bro asshole Walker Bragman keep getting posted on Atlas?  This guy literally wrote an article in 2016 called "The Liberal Case for Donald Trump."  That ought to discredit him from political analysis for life.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #435 on: February 14, 2020, 12:16:34 AM »

No, all you need is a jug by your desk.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #436 on: February 14, 2020, 12:18:35 AM »

WSJ journo>>>

I wonder why people here have suddenly gone silent about the pragmatic political wisdom of black voters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #437 on: February 14, 2020, 12:23:18 AM »

If anyone's curious to actually see Bloomberg in action, here's a rally he did in Chattanooga, TN yesterday.

https://youtu.be/IZyMyJ6raBs?t=2552
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #438 on: February 14, 2020, 01:19:28 AM »

If anyone's curious to actually see Bloomberg in action, here's a rally he did in Chattanooga, TN yesterday.

A mediocre speech. Perhaps even weak.

The only high points were when he attacked Trump.

He didn't give a single proposal on what he intended to do and how he would do it.
We have no idea what his policy proposals are going to be.

Basically, the reason he is running is to beat Trump and his greatest strength is in that he can get under Trump's skin.

The crowd is not very enthusiastic and only gets roused up when he talks about beating Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #439 on: February 14, 2020, 02:25:38 AM »

A mediocre speech. Perhaps even weak.

The only high points were when he attacked Trump.

He didn't give a single proposal on what he intended to do and how he would do it.
We have no idea what his policy proposals are going to be.

Basically, the reason he is running is to beat Trump and his greatest strength is in that he can get under Trump's skin.

The crowd is not very enthusiastic and only gets roused up when he talks about beating Trump.

Do you just post what you want to be true to take advantage of people who won't click the link?

None of what you said is true.

I just clicked a random timestamp and transcribed thirty seconds.  He talks about what he wants to do, gets four bouts of applause and doesn't mention Trump at all.

I cut New York City's carbon footprint by 13% and I've helped create a grassroots movement to close more than 300 dirt coal-fired power plants across this country

[long applause]

green jobs and greener plan it, we can get it done and, we are not going to forget about people who are losing their jobs because of changes in technology like the coal miners who've been working very hard, and we're going to come as a country and make sure we re-train and help those who need help.

[applause]

now let's talk about stopping gun violence.  In New York city we cut murders by 50%, and I've taken on the NRA by creating a group, a safety group, with 6 million members

[applause]

and we've passed stronger gun laws in more than 20 states thanks to Moms Demand Action, volunteers who have made it happen.

[applause]
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #440 on: February 14, 2020, 02:29:13 AM »

The United States had one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world prior to the Trump Tax Cuts.  It was 35%.  Trump lowered it to 21%.  Bloomberg wants to raise it to 28%, right in the middle of the two.  Oh, the heresy!

Notice how Bloomberg also says that the individual tax cuts (mostly on upper income individuals) were bad.  He wants to raise the income tax in the top bracket and raise the capital gains tax.  You can read all the details of his real tax plan here.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/01/billionaire-mike-bloomberg-calls-for-tax-on-incomes-over-5-million.html

or, you can get your information from Rose Twitter.  It wont be accurate, but it will make you feel angry, which I guess is kind of like feeling good.

Why on earth does this Bernie Bro asshole Walker Bragman keep getting posted on Atlas?  This guy literally wrote an article in 2016 called "The Liberal Case for Donald Trump."  That ought to discredit him from political analysis for life.

And corporations get around that by hiding money in tax havens. I guess that the Panama Papers were must a conspiracy theory.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #441 on: February 14, 2020, 10:25:41 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2020, 10:30:32 AM by Russian Bear »

IMHO, an interesting thread about Bloomberg's perhaps next "phase"

Most self funders do the exact opposite of Bloomberg. They usually try to find the lowest number they can spend and still win. Theyre trying to be efficient, instead of spending to the point of diminishing returns, which is what they should do if they have the wherewithal.

Bloomberg also seems to be avoiding another fatal flaw of self funders. It seems hes giving a clear indication to his team of the budget they have to spend. Most self funders keep their teams guessing month to month or week to week how much they have to spend on the campaign.

Most self funders light money on fire not because they spend too much, but because they spend too little and most importantly they spend it without giving their team enough time to plan and execute a winning campaign

I also dont think were talking enough about what happens when Bloomberg goes negative. Hes been able to vault himself into the top tier through sheer weigh of message on positive bio ads. This isnt the entire campaign, its just phase 1.

Phase 2 will be deploying negatives on his opponents still in the race. He may go at the candidates ahead of him, or just the candidate he gets the most vote share from. Frankly, theyre savvy enough to have a bespoke campaign in each state based on who is performing where.

But the big question: What happens when he turns the Death Star on an goes negative with $50,000,000 a week against his opponent(s)? Weve never seen it before and its an open question.

My hunch is that Pete and Amy both have glass jaws, Warren may be in that category as well. Biden is declining on his own but a softer approach may push people away from him.

Bernie is likely anti-fragile so Bloomberg may never attack him head-on. But he doesnt need to, the establishment is doing it for him right now and all Bloomberg has to do is shrink the vote share of his opponents and sop it all up so that he gets bigger than Bernie.

Anyways, I dont have a grand point except that this is going to be WILD. Weve never seen anything like it, and we may never again. Or, its the new normal? Who knows. But it will sure be interesting to watch.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #442 on: February 14, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »

And corporations get around that by hiding money in tax havens. I guess that the Panama Papers were must a conspiracy theory.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act makes that nearly impossible. In a best case scenario for a company, half of all tax haven income (which still largely requires some proof of activity or risk borne) is now immediately subject to US tax and often more than that.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #443 on: February 14, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

https://www.democracynow.org/2020/2/14/headlines/bloomberg_criticized_for_falsely_blaming_2008_crisis_on_end_of_redlining
win win
dxu8888

« Reply #444 on: February 14, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »

https://electionbettingodds.com/

Bloomberg at 34.7%
Sanders at 32.8%

This is remarkable, a guy, who hasn't won any votes yet, has overtaken the guy who won the most votes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2020, 11:21:19 AM »

I think the punters are overestimating the chances of a complete Biden collapse versus a campaign in decline that cannot win but still get a bunch of votes and still a significant bloc of delegates.   
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2020, 11:22:08 AM »

Quite remarkable, yeah.

I'm not sure I see it though. Infact, I think odds of both those candidates are probably too high. I'm not sure either will get an outright majority and both are seen as too much of wing candidates to win a brokered convention, I guess. Depends on whether a brokered convention tries to come up with some sort of compromise candidate, which I would be all for (except if it is Warren).
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »

I think the punters are overestimating the chances of a complete Biden collapse versus a campaign in decline that cannot win but still get a bunch of votes and still a significant bloc of delegates.   
Exactly. Bernie's ace in the hole could be a lack of consolidation of the moderate vote before it is too late.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #448 on: February 14, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »

In 2008, in the context of this year's financial crisis, Michael Bloomberg has blamed the end of redlining (the systematic denial of various services to residents of specific, often racially associated, neighborhoods or communities, either directly or through the selective raising of prices) as a cause of the 2008 financial crisis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/politics/michael-bloomberg-redlining-housing-crisis/index.html

Will it cost him AA votes in crucial southern Super Tuesday states?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #449 on: February 14, 2020, 11:29:50 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies