Sharon suffers "significant" stroke
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:11:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Sharon suffers "significant" stroke
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sharon suffers "significant" stroke  (Read 2295 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2006, 04:51:12 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/04/sharon/index.html
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »

Things are not looking good for Sharon, I must say.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

Two strokes in under two months?! I don't think he has much longer to live.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:28:35 PM »

Apparently he has suffered a cerebral hemmorhage and there has been "massive bleeding" in his brain.  He is in surgery now but his doctors say he might have low chances of recovery.  Powers have been transferred to deputy Ehud Olmert, who I assume would take over the Kadima if Sharon isn't well enough. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 06:13:56 PM »

What will this do to the peace process?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 07:13:50 PM »

This is really sad. I was rooting for Kadima, but it seems like too old now, what with Peres and Sharon, neither of which are exactly young and vibrant.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 07:17:52 PM »

I believe that Sharon's chances are slim. It's too bad, and just when some things were really looking up over there! Just like when Rabin was assasinated.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:27:31 PM »

Holy sh**t!
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 09:19:37 PM »

I can already see the biographic revisionism happening with the same "martyr for peace" bullsh**t we saw with Rabin.

Quite ironic that today the Rafah border has been attacked by bulldozers as Bulldozer was Sharon's nickname.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »

I can already see the biographic revisionism happening with the same "martyr for peace" bullsh**t we saw with Rabin.

Quite ironic that today the Rafah border has been attacked by bulldozers as Bulldozer was Sharon's nickname.

hahaha . . . it's a bit ironic that you are posting about him, "Angel of Death."  Wink

Sad to see him having so many major medical problems though.  He has definitely lived two different lives.  I don't think there would be any true revisionism of his history, since both his military and political lives are so full of information and lasting impact in the region.
M

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 02:11:39 AM »

I believe that Sharon's chances are slim. It's too bad, and just when some things were really looking up over there! Just like when Rabin was assasinated.

Much worse, in fact, as Rabin had no peace partner (witness the fall of Peres after Arafat at least permits 4 bombs in 9 days right before the election).

Where Ben-Gurion had made the state, Sharon would have made the peace, sharing a Nobel prize with Abu Mazen and redefining the world's oldest region. And so falls the Israeli Camelot.

Now? Everything is thrown into confusion. Olmert becomes Kadima head, probably. Good for consistency- he's a Sharon protege and adheres to the same program (continued pullouts, presumably at least semi-unilateral, and waiting for the Palestinians to observe their Road Map phase one requirements of halting terror and ending encitement). In some ways he is even more of a visionary, having publicly suggested a division of Jerusalem 2 years ago, when the issue was taboo.

The downside is that he's less popular and charismatic. Which makes this election a true three-way race with Peretz, an overenthusiastic and inexperienced peacenik, and Netanyahu, the best talker in modern politics with a tragic lack of follow-up political ability or will, and an equally tragic inability to cope with a new era ripe with opportunity.

The ideal scenario is that Olmert rides a sympathy wave to a narrower win then Sharon would have enjoyed, and after assembling a coalition mainly with left-wing parties, continues the process. This sadly may mean a return to scoialism and subsequent economic downturn in Israel, but Israelis are maybe the only democratic people to really vote on politics- war, peace, the rise and fall of nations- rather than culture (U.S.) or economics (Europe, Japan). And in the new regional environment, the optimists may finally win, even without Israel's Great Man.

And sooner Bashar al-NixonNow is out, the faster the biggest menace, Ahmadinejad, will fall. Inevitably, this will mean victory in Iraq and Afghanistan, security for Israel and Lebanon, and peace in the entire Greater Middle East Region, accompanied by Freedom on the March over the next decade or so. Almost there...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 10:44:44 AM »

Lol.

Back on topic. Yeah, not good news, say what you will about Sharon.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »

Well this is sure some terrible news.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »

And sooner Bashar al-NixonNow is out, the faster the biggest menace, Ahmadinejad, will fall.

aahahahahha. The fact that you are comparing a dictator to a figurehead who doesn't even control his country's armed forces and can't really do anything besides talk sh!t, and then claim the big mouth is the bigger threat is hilarious. Also I doubt the Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad because of NixonNow. Bush is the man to blame for him.
M

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »

And sooner Bashar al-NixonNow is out, the faster the biggest menace, Ahmadinejad, will fall.

aahahahahha. The fact that you are comparing a dictator to a figurehead who doesn't even control his country's armed forces and can't really do anything besides talk sh!t, and then claim the big mouth is the bigger threat is hilarious. Also I doubt the Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad because of NixonNow. Bush is the man to blame for him.

True, NixonNow's inner clique does most of the actual governance in Damascus, though the gaffes, verbal and otherwise, this figurehead have made have been bad enough. But yes, Ahmadinejad does have much more significant control over his country.

I doubt Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad at all; the evidence of fraud (in terms of millions of votes) is massive and well-documented. It is a bizarre suggestion that having watched the Iraqis, Iran's ancient enemies, and the Afghans, who they consider to be country bumpkins, achieve the beginnings of the liberty Iranians are constantly protesting, being tortured and executed for, the Iranians would respond by voluntarily increasing their own bondage and national humiliation.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 03:58:11 PM »

It is a bizarre suggestion that having watched the Iraqis, Iran's ancient enemies, and the Afghans, who they consider to be country bumpkins, achieve the beginnings of the liberty Iranians are constantly protesting, being tortured and executed for, the Iranians would respond by voluntarily increasing their own bondage and national humiliation.

Ah, well, never underestimate the capability of the voter to make decisions which seem to be, uh,... "unwise". I think it's at least possible that a majority of those Iranians who went to the polls (as opposed to the large portion who understandably thought that it wouldn't make a difference anyway and stayed home) actually wanted Ahmadinejad to become president.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 06:48:52 PM »

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for ``dividing God's land.''

``God considers this land to be his,'' Robertson said on his TV program ``The 700 Club.'' ``You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine.'''

hahaha pat never ceases to crack me up with his nonsense
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 06:51:41 PM »

NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine punishment for ``dividing God's land.''

``God considers this land to be his,'' Robertson said on his TV program ``The 700 Club.'' ``You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine.'''

So, when Pat Robertson dies, we can conclude it was God's punishment for making such idiotic comments.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 07:02:13 PM »

That took longer than I thought it would.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »

The stupidest thing about his comment is that Gaza was never part of Israel, modern or ancient.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 12:07:16 AM »

This is the worst way this year could have started, short of a major terror attack hitting the ball drop event in Manahttan.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 01:46:54 AM »

May he die quickly and rot in hell where he belongs. I don't feel sympathy for civilian murdering Israelies or Palestinians.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 02:00:29 AM »

So, when Pat Robertson dies, we can conclude it was God's punishment for making such idiotic comments.
^^^^^
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 07:52:19 AM »

I doubt Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad at all; the evidence of fraud (in terms of millions of votes) is massive and well-documented.
You've posted this grotesque lie before.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
except they're not, not at the moment, and never most of them
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's not as if the alternative was better. And it's not as if attitudes to Israel played any role at all in the election in Iran.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 09:08:33 AM »

He's getting surgery again; more bleeding.  That's not good.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies