Republicans Only: Would You Take This Deal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:04:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Only: Would You Take This Deal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Results

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Republicans Only: Would You Take This Deal?  (Read 920 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »
« edited: November 04, 2019, 01:03:08 AM by Free Bird »

Here's a scenario:

1. Biden/Warren defeats Trump by flipping back Michigan and Florida; Pennsylvania and Wisconsin narrowly stay red.

2. Rs gain ~5-8 seats in the House, give or take, mostly gimmes like Horn and Cunningham. Roy Cooper hangs on in North Carolina while Greg Gianforte flips Montana's governorship red.

3. The Senate is D+1 for 52-48 R. McSally, Jones, and Gardner lose to Kelly, Tuberville, and Hickenlooper, respectively, while Peters, Smith, and Tillis hang on. Collins and Murkowski are effectively in the driver's seat again, meaning President Biden could still conceivably get some things done.

4. Biden manages to pass a repeal of large parts of TCJA, Free College, an infrastructure package, universal background checks, and a public option in his first two years, as well as reentering the PCAs and Iran Deal. Wall construction is halted for one year and DACA reinstated.

5. The 2022 midterms act as midterms usually do. Rs gain a House majority slightly larger than the current Democratic majority and gain two Senate seats by holding everything (Gallagher, Fitzpatrick, and Bishop replace Johnson, Toomey, and Burr respectively) and flipping Arizona and New Hampshire back (Doug Ducey and Chris Sununu specifically). The Senate is back to 54 Rs, and the governorships of Wisconsin (Sean Duffy), Kansas (Jeff Colyer), and Maine (Paul LePage) are back in R hands, too, along with Connecticut (Erin Stewart). Maryland and Massachusetts, with Baker deciding against a third term, however, flip back to blue (John Delaney and Seth Moulton).

6. Biden, in his 80s and having fulfilled his life's dream, decides to retire after one term. The 2024 election is thus between Kamala Harris (Warren decides she is too old) and Ron DeSantis (pick whatever VP you want for them both).

7. DeSantis defeats Harris by running as a consensus-building technocrat with a brand of more palatable MAGAism to keep the WWC base fired up, though not to the same fervent, cult-like levels as Trump (he keeps the Trumps at arms' length despite owing his political viability to still-active 45th President). He wins the Trump map plus Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, and ME-AL. His Hispanic score is a few points below Bush 2004 and his black score about 9%, leading AZ, TX, and GA to more resemble 2012 margins while also making the margins in the Rust Belt all above 1% to varying degrees. The suburbs come back but aren't as strong for DeSantis as they were for Bush due to DeSantis still making a WWC pitch. This combination of the warring GOP factions' respective base visions is what ultimately lets him carry the states. MI-Sen and MN-Sen, however, continue to narrowly escape R hands. TPUSA is reduced to nigh-irrelevance during all this time.  

Do you take this deal if offered to you by the Election Gods? Four years of basically Obama Redux and a reversal of many Trump accomplishments for a more steady, popularizable, but again kinda boring GOP who will have to take some time to reinstate some Trump policies but then is able to start fresh, with a very strong chance of building a more modern, sustainable coalition?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »

Yeah, I would. It is the most long-term sustainable success scenario I can currently see for the GOP. Doesn't have everything I would want, but "everything one would want" doesn't exist in the real world.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:38 AM »

No, I'll take what is likely to actually happen in real life, which is that Trump will be decisively re-elected with the GOP taking back the House, and go all out on as many of the things they were restrained from doing in the first term.

Let's dispel with this fiction that another President would automatically be more 'stable' and that another Republican would automatically be more appealing. Biden would effectively be a puppet for some truly malignant figures that do not deserve the power they would wield and would continue harming the world in the way they've had for decades. Never, ever, ever trust a candidate (especially a President) with a D next to their name. Candidates like DeSantis would have a harder time winning if we let them do what they want to do.

I view Trump as one of our last hopes in truly fixing the major problems that haven't been even attempted to be solved until this point, in some cases problems that haven't even been highlighted by his predecessors.

This board would best be served by shedding its kneejerk, thoughtless, anti-Trump hysteria (not from OP or PiT; I'm talking about...other users). Any scenario that doesn't involve his re-election is effectively a nail in the coffin for this country, and history will not judge those who voted him out in a good light. Smart people in that situation would be focusing on salvaging something out of the death of the country rather than salvaging the country itself.
538Electoral

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:14:38 AM »

Sounds ideal, But I like ACW's idea more.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 01:17:01 AM »

Obviously yes
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 02:43:43 AM »

Not a GOPer and didn't vote, but under this 2020 scenario, Biden (or anyone else) would not be able to pass free college and background checks. Even with a 50-50 senate, it would be extremely difficult. I understand this is a total hypothetical, just sayin'.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »

I would.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »

The election gods don’t exist.  The process isn’t 7 steps.  If you took this deal you might twist yourself into a tape worm.  Oh wait.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »

The election gods don’t exist.  The process isn’t 7 steps.  If you took this deal you might twist yourself into a tape worm.  Oh wait.

I find your lack of faith disturbing lol
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:34:42 AM »

Would you prefer a different nominee?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »

I would prefer Nikki Haley but I would definitely be happy with DeSantis as well .
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:31:59 AM »

I would love this.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »

I would not take this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »

It seems like a great deal to me though I am not a Republican. It solidifies the political establishment around a new paleoconservative intersectionalism and allows for the ascension of a much better "Reagan" figure. It would be a realignment under the most unusual circumstances. It would be as if Reagan won in 1968, ran far to the right, lost in 1972 to someone who was more moderate than McGovern but implemented a lot of his polices and he in turn lost to someone in 1976 that finally went through with a lot of the Reagan Revolution on top of more of The Great Society.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »

Yeah, if that was how things would go down, I would be happy. Unfortunately, I don't think it will.

It would actually me your Realignment theory too just in a radically different way because DeSantis is a different type of Republican who doesnt really fit the Reagan/Bush paradigm at all. 

That is why I made that post that I believe that Republicans shoot root for this result : Trump or Pence narrowly losing in 2020 but Republicans either keeping control of senate, or Democrats controlling senate but only by a 50-50 margin so Manchin will keep the far-left agenda in check .   Then in 2024 Republicans come back with someone like DeSantis
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »

No, I'll take what is likely to actually happen in real life, which is that Trump will be decisively re-elected with the GOP taking back the House, and go all out on as many of the things they were restrained from doing in the first term.

'Taint happening that way, fellow. Trump isn't winning any state that he lost in 2016 in 2020. The electorate already looks more like that of 2018 than like that of 2010 or 2014 -- or even 2016. Democrats might lose a couple seats in the House, as unlikely wins often show why those wins were unlikely in the next election. A hint from that about Donald Trump: his election was unlikely, too.

After winning a close election, winning the next one practically requires that one pick up something to offset losses in the previous election. Donald Trump has delivered nothing except to right-wing special interests, and probably not enough to sate their rapacious dreams.

The Trump - Tea Party dream has become a nightmare for a majority of Americans.

Let's dispel with this fiction that another President would automatically be more 'stable' and that another Republican would automatically be more appealing. Biden would effectively be a puppet for some truly malignant figures that do not deserve the power they would wield and would continue harming the world in the way they've had for decades. Never, ever, ever trust a candidate (especially a President) with a D next to their name. Candidates like DeSantis would have a harder time winning if we let them do what they want to do.

Whom do you mean by "we"?

A political leader with the probity of Barack Obama can be objectionable only for ideology. Trump is going down in 2020 for corruption and having poor relations with federal law enforcement, the Armed Forces, and the intelligence services. He promised loudly what proved unacceptable -- simply add more profit for the elites to everything in America. His idea of fixing the highways is to add tolls where they have not been before.  

I view Trump as one of our last hopes in truly fixing the major problems that haven't been even attempted to be solved until this point, in some cases problems that haven't even been highlighted by his predecessors.

This board would best be served by shedding its kneejerk, thoughtless, anti-Trump hysteria (not from OP or PiT; I'm talking about...other users). Any scenario that doesn't involve his re-election is effectively a nail in the coffin for this country, and history will not judge those who voted him out in a good light. Smart people in that situation would be focusing on salvaging something out of the death of the country rather than salvaging the country itself.

As Colonel Sherman Potter (Harry Morgan, a superb actor) in M*A*S*H would put it:

Horse-hockey!

Donald Trump's despotic style is inconsistent with the vision of our Founding Fathers and all who have followed them. We did well enough before Trump and we will do well without him. This man has created the risk of a military coup that has never happened in America. He is a thoroughly-vile person, and monstrously corrupt. He has created a cult of personality around him, and he has infused political discourse with rancor and outright Newspeak. He exudes contempt for due process and the rule of law.

When Donald Trump was elected, I played Verdi's Requiem Mass, whose Dies Irae is one of the most ominous sections of music in any repertory, on my stereo. When Donald Trump is thoroughly purged from American politics, most likely in a decisive defeat a year from now, I will play Mahler's second "Resurrection" Symphony, a work of similar length and power, but with the happiest ending possible.

If we are lucky we will get Abraham Lincoln's "new Birth of Freedom" without bloodshed, whether in emancipating slaves or the victims of fascist concentration camps.  

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 10:37:48 PM »

This, for the most part.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 11:04:33 PM »

You missed your calling as a comedian.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 01:24:35 AM »

Yes
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »

This is my preferred scenario, actually. Trump losing to Biden, followed by the election of a Constitutional conservative in 2024.

A Trump reelection could easily result in a fluke 2024 win for someone like AOC that the country wouldn't recover from.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »

This is my preferred scenario, actually. Trump losing to Biden, followed by the election of a Constitutional conservative in 2024.

A Trump reelection could easily result in a fluke 2024 win for someone like AOC that the country wouldn't recover from.

That was basically the case for Democrats with Obama's re-election.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 01:15:12 AM »

Can trump be vp?
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:00 AM »

This is the scenario that I fear the most. Yes, even more than a Trump victory in 2020. The Republican Party would have captured not one but two realignments. It'd be like a repeat of 1980-2016 with a more Trumpist Republican Party and I have to say that it's the scenario that keeps me awake.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »

This, for the most part.

You do realize NYC Millennial Minority is trolling, right?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 01:13:30 AM »

no
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies