Proposed EU Reforms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Proposed EU Reforms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should...
The European Commission be Democratically Elected (Yes)

The European Commission be Democratically Elected (No)

MEPs be Allowed to Propose Their Own Legislation (Yes)

MEPs be Allowed to Propose Their Own Legislation (No)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Proposed EU Reforms  (Read 344 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »

These are the two biggest problems I have with the EU as it stands. I can tell it was made with good intentions, and a peaceful, more cooperative Europe is, of course, a good thing, but these bits still strike me as extremely undemocratic. Debate things like immigration, fisheries, and so on all you'd like, but these, to me, are core issues that would have to be addressed first and foremost. In essence, I think the EU legislative system, leaving the Council, which basically works fine, alone, needs to resemble the US system more.

Thoughts?
Pick Up the Phone

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »

Just to better understand the question: What do you mean by "the European Commission should be democratically elected"? Unless I'm mistaken, it already is. The President of the Commission is for instance chosen by the European Council (where the democratically elected Heads of Government represent the member states) and then confirmed by the European Parliament (where the democratically elected MEPs represent the European voters).

I don't see how this is structurally different from (or less democratic than) other parliamentary systems (e.g. Germany, UK...) in which the Head of Government is elected by parliament. If anything, it's even more democratic as the candidate is proposed by the member states and not by a party.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 11:52:23 PM »

No and yes
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 01:05:22 AM »

Just to better understand the question: What do you mean by "the European Commission should be democratically elected"? Unless I'm mistaken, it already is. The President of the Commission is for instance chosen by the European Council (where the democratically elected Heads of Government represent the member states) and then confirmed by the European Parliament (where the democratically elected MEPs represent the European voters).

I don't see how this is structurally different from (or less democratic than) other parliamentary systems (e.g. Germany, UK...) in which the Head of Government is elected by parliament. If anything, it's even more democratic as the candidate is proposed by the member states and not by a party.

I meant the Commission would then be elected directly by the people much as MEPs are; no degrees of separation. It would be kind of similar to the 17th Amendment in that respect. Appointed officeholders should hold legislative power, even if they are confirmed by the people's representatives. It's the same reason the Lords can't draft legislation themselves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 01:50:13 AM »

^

The EU should be a parliamentary democracy. It's that simple.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 05:11:28 AM »

Yes on parliament being able to propose its own laws. It is such an easy and straighforward reform that would give the EU a lot more democratic credibility that I am surprised it has not happened.

Also surprisingly, yes on the directly elected commission, but it is a very hard question.

My reasoning is:

a) It would give the EU a lot of democratic credibility, even if at a big cost.

b) After the fact that the Spitzencandidat process was killed, I have lost faith that the EU can function as a parliamentary democracy, so a presidential style one is probably the lesser evil at this point.

Of course, a directly elected comission comes into a lot of problems. The biggest one being the electoral system. I can't see a straight popular vote being used. Maybe the EU could use some sort of Electoral College, but I think we all know how well that works Tongue

Another option would be each country choosing its own commissioner via popular vote, but I have no idea how it would work to pick the president of the comission.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 06:47:43 AM »

tbh the biggest issue is the governing pf the Eurozone. I can't begin to understand the complexities of currencies/central banks etc. but I know enough that the current set-up is insane, undemocratic and is suffocating growth.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »

In regards to the first proposal, no thank you. Direct presidential elections (let alone a direct election of the Commission as a whole) would mean more pressure on candidates to pander to emotions, meaning the EU would end up with s*itshow popularity contests. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have somebody who's elected by the already democratically-accountable Council (since they're already the national-level heads of government) & confirmed by the democratically-elected Parliament; at least they're the ones who'd actually have to work with him/her on a daily basis. Nobody needs more promises of godlike healthcare, rainbows, unicorns, & pies in the sky.

In regards to the second proposal, yes, the EP should definitely have legislative initiative rights.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies