49% of Americans believe Congress is corrupt; 12% don't care if it is
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:14:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  49% of Americans believe Congress is corrupt; 12% don't care if it is
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 49% of Americans believe Congress is corrupt; 12% don't care if it is  (Read 1010 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:25:16 PM »

Source

Poll: Half believe Congress is dirty

Tuesday, January 3, 2006; Posted: 5:00 p.m. EST (22:00 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- About half of U.S. adults believe most members of Congress are corrupt, a poll released Tuesday suggests.

According to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, 49 percent of respondents said most members of Congress are corrupt. Although 46 percent of respondents said most aren't, the margin of sampling error -- plus or minus 4.5 percent -- makes it clear that the perception of congressional politicians is largely negative.

Congress' image could emerge as an election topic, with 55 percent of respondents saying corruption will be "the most important" or a "very important" issue to consider when voting in November, when all 435 House seats, and 33 Senate seats, will be decided.

Thirty-two percent of people surveyed said corruption was moderately important, and 12 percent called it not important.

But when asked to identify corruption by party, respondents were more hesitant. About half of those polled said "only a few" members of either party are corrupt.

Asked how many congressional Republicans are corrupt, 19 percent of respondents said "almost all" and 28 percent said "many." The response was similar when people were asked about corruption among Democrats: 17 percent said "almost all" and 27 percent said "many."

The poll was conducted among 1,003 adults December 16-18, before former Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty to conspiracy, fraud and tax-evasion charges Tuesday as part of a plea deal with federal prosecutors.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:31:37 PM »

Been saying that for years.  Cheesy 

The problem is, the environment of Congress breeds the potential for corruption.  And while the individual members of Congress themselves might not be correct, the system is corrupt by the access of special interest groups to manipulate and push their own agenda.  And when you have mass funding bills, waste and corruption grows with each Yea vote.  By decreasing how much can be compiled into various bills and force transperancy into individual Congressional books, the friendly environment for corruption will begin to decrease.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm surprised it is only a half.  49% seems like the number who would normally think that Congress is corrupt.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »

The problem is, the environment of Congress breeds the potential for corruption.  And while the individual members of Congress themselves might not be correct, the system is corrupt by the access of special interest groups to manipulate and push their own agenda.  And when you have mass funding bills, waste and corruption grows with each Yea vote.  By decreasing how much can be compiled into various bills and force transperancy into individual Congressional books, the friendly environment for corruption will begin to decrease.

Firebombing the entirety of K Street would be a damn good start.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:36:44 PM »

Firebombing the entirety of K Street would be a damn good start.

HAHAHA . . . hey, that's hitting a little close to home (or should I say work).  Smiley  I still need my government contract funding.  *laughs*
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:07:23 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not how I'd phrase it, but I don't worry about, because it's always been corrupt, and there's nothing that can be done about.

I mean, if my congressman was corrupt, I'd vote to oust him. But I don't pay much attention to other people's.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:52:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not how I'd phrase it, but I don't worry about, because it's always been corrupt, and there's nothing that can be done about.

I mean, if my congressman was corrupt, I'd vote to oust him. But I don't pay much attention to other people's.

The question posed was how important the issue of corruption is in deciding which way to vote.  The twelve percent said it's not important at all.  They probably don't pay attention to other people's congressmen either, but they don't even care if he's corrupt.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 02:07:16 PM »

What's wrong with the other 51%?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God