North Carolina 2020 Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 86916 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« on: December 09, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »

BTW here is the full order details. We are not going to get delays it appears, and if there is a remap there will be time for it.
It seems they are skipping the appellate court and directly hear appeals in the SC? I remembered the CJ will appoint a three appellate court judge panel. How do they avoid it?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »

This is pointless. The SCONC will flip anyway and republicans will draw another gerrymander mid decade

There’s no downside for us; why not fight it in court and see what we can get?

This.  It's also unconstitutional in NC to redraw the state legislative districts mid-decade, so if either of those maps get thrown out, the changes will stick.  Dems could plausibly flip a chamber over the course of the decade.
Did they explicitly forbid it? If not, this will be up to the likely GOP SC in 2022.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 12:46:08 PM »

This is pointless. The SCONC will flip anyway and republicans will draw another gerrymander mid decade

This.  It's also unconstitutional in NC to redraw the state legislative districts mid-decade, so if either of those maps get thrown out, the changes will stick.  Dems could plausibly flip a chamber over the course of the decade.
Did they explicitly forbid it? If not, this will be up to the likely GOP SC in 2022.

It says the process is done at the first legislative session after the census is released. 
Have you checked TX, GA, NV constitutions? I believe such language should be there as well. I am curious which state does not have this type of language.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 06:51:47 PM »

It says the process is done at the first legislative session after the census is released. 
Have you checked TX, GA, NV constitutions? I believe such language should be there as well. I am curious which state does not have this type of language.

TX and NV have this language for the legislative districts.  Georgia’s language is a bit more open.
TX did this back in 2000s. NV threatened to do this in 2010s. Hence I don't think such languages are major obstacles, especially with a friendly court.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies