North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:15:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 86877 times)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: February 16, 2022, 11:01:48 PM »

Least change NC map attempt. The Tech Triad is the area that needs the most reconfiguration thanks to insane growth and also it's the most logical place to squeeze in the 14th seat (which would've narrowly gone to Biden). All the other seats are pretty self-explanatory

Your 14th is pretty strange: why split Cumberland to put Fayettville (not in the Triangle) into the 14th but not Johnston County (actually in the Triangle)?

I was debating it but the remaining half of Johnson County is less populated with Fayetteville which makes things a bit weird. I could try having the 7th take in all of Cumberland but it just works out weirdly population wise.

Here's a quick attempt; Cumberland pretty much has to be split unless the 14th takes in Pender County

Cumberland may have to be split but it's better to keep Johnston whole and take less of Cumberland than more.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1176 on: February 16, 2022, 11:03:19 PM »

Least change NC map attempt. The Tech Triad is the area that needs the most reconfiguration thanks to insane growth and also it's the most logical place to squeeze in the 14th seat (which would've narrowly gone to Biden). All the other seats are pretty self-explanatory

Your 14th is pretty strange: why split Cumberland to put Fayettville (not in the Triangle) into the 14th but not Johnston County (actually in the Triangle)?

I was debating it but the remaining half of Johnson County is less populated with Fayetteville which makes things a bit weird. I could try having the 7th take in all of Cumberland but it just works out weirdly population wise.

Here's a quick attempt; Cumberland pretty much has to be split unless the 14th takes in Pender County

Cumberland may have to be split but it's better to keep Johnston whole and take less of Cumberland than more.

Yeah I think this 2nd map is better the more I think about it, even if it looks uglier.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1177 on: February 16, 2022, 11:06:17 PM »

Senate map with 25 Biden districts.  I don't know if some deviations are too high, I just made sure they're lower than 12k.  I kept most of the proposed map's county groupings the same.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/09fda123-ab7b-4a36-8a43-719f1bfea181

Why do you put black areas of Greensboro, Charlotte, and Fayetteville with white rural/suburban areas?

For Greensboro and Fayetteville - Because Blacks would still easily control the Democratic Primaries in those districts (literally all of them).

I didn't really change much about the Charlotte districts, I tried to just copy the proposed map, no need for any changes there.  (The Fayetteville districts are changed *slightly*)
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1178 on: February 16, 2022, 11:10:14 PM »

Senate map with 25 Biden districts.  I don't know if some deviations are too high, I just made sure they're lower than 12k.  I kept most of the proposed map's county groupings the same.

Why do you put black areas of Greensboro, Charlotte, and Fayetteville with white rural/suburban areas?

For Greensboro and Fayetteville - Because Blacks would still easily control the Democratic Primaries in those districts (literally all of them).

I didn't really change much about the Charlotte districts, I tried to just copy the proposed map, no need for any changes there.  (The Fayetteville districts are changed *slightly*)

Right, but it's also a gerrymander.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1179 on: February 16, 2022, 11:19:36 PM »

Why?  The Rockingham/Guilford district is a heck of a lot more compact that way,  the Fayetteville districts barely change (it's a difference of like 10-12 precincts) and still have the same overall shape.   There's no mandate that Black people are concentrated into districts beyond being able to elect candidates of their choice, which they can.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1180 on: February 16, 2022, 11:22:05 PM »

I didn't really change much about the Charlotte districts, I tried to just copy the proposed map, no need for any changes there.  (The Fayetteville districts are changed *slightly*)

Why?  The Rockingham/Guilford district is a heck of a lot more compact that way,  the Fayetteville districts barely change (it's a difference of like 10-12 precincts) and still have the same overall shape.   There's no mandate that Black people are concentrated into districts beyond being able to elect candidates of their choice, which they can.

Because it violates communities of interest. Putting urban Fayettvile with rural Moore county reduces the ability of both to elect the candidate of their choice. Drawing urban Greensboro with Rockingham county rather than adjacent suburban or urban precincts (Rockingham/Greensboro) unites disjointed areas.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1181 on: February 16, 2022, 11:23:39 PM »

Because it violates communities of interest. Putting urban Fayettvile with rural Moore county reduces the ability of both to elect the candidate of their choice.

Moore/Fayetteville (Cumberland) is the county grouping on the proposed map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1182 on: February 16, 2022, 11:24:55 PM »

Why?  The Rockingham/Guilford district is a heck of a lot more compact that way,  the Fayetteville districts barely change (it's a difference of like 10-12 precincts) and still have the same overall shape.   There's no mandate that Black people are concentrated into districts beyond being able to elect candidates of their choice, which they can.

A triad district is less compact than putting Guilford with Randolph and Forsyth with random rurals but its obvious why that shouldn't happen.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1183 on: February 16, 2022, 11:31:15 PM »

Dang the proposed State House map just passed with near unanimous support.

Seems like the CD map gonna be the real sticker here.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1184 on: February 16, 2022, 11:37:43 PM »

Proposed Chapel Hill district for tomorow.

Found their draft for the 18th.

What's the partisanship of that one?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1185 on: February 16, 2022, 11:45:43 PM »

Because it violates communities of interest. Putting urban Fayettvile with rural Moore county reduces the ability of both to elect the candidate of their choice.

Moore/Fayetteville (Cumberland) is the county grouping on the proposed map.

I am aware. So rural Cumberland should go with rural Moore, and urban Cumberland should get its own district.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1186 on: February 17, 2022, 12:41:29 AM »

About Trump+10 in 2020 if I recall correctly. (Un)fortunately it's also about 120k over population though.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1187 on: February 17, 2022, 09:46:11 AM »

New map released by the senate
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1188 on: February 17, 2022, 09:51:22 AM »

Is it really too much to ask for this state to be normal in redistricting?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2022, 09:52:10 AM »

They're afraid of Cabarrus and Union trending to the Dems so they put the rest of Mecklenburg westward.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1190 on: February 17, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »

...what part of "don't crack Greensboro" is so hard to understand???

There's no way the Court accepts that.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1191 on: February 17, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »

Is it really too much to ask for this state to be normal in redistricting?

I'm pretty sure they're trolling at this point. Trends look atrocious for the GOP in 13 and 14 and pretty bad in 6 and even 8, so they wouldn't want this map beyond 2022. Probably just aiming for a court drawn map which they can easily redraw in 2022. I do wonder why they didn't do this for the state legislature; maybe they thought restricting the court legislative maps to 2 years might have been unconstitutional.
Pink Panther

« Reply #1192 on: February 17, 2022, 09:58:26 AM »

Why is the state the way that it is?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1193 on: February 17, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »

Man you just HAD to bring that guy's ugly face here.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1194 on: February 17, 2022, 10:11:49 AM »

Anyway, it looks like those masters will have to do some work, at least congressionally.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1195 on: February 17, 2022, 10:21:39 AM »

Another map was apparently filed this morning. I quite like this one, actually.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1196 on: February 17, 2022, 10:25:08 AM »

They're afraid of Cabarrus and Union trending to the Dems so they put the rest of Mecklenburg westward.

No, if that was the motive they would have cracked Mecklenburg differently. This is a matter of giving Tim Moore the district he was fantasizing about, and forcing Cawthorn back to the west.
Ritz
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1197 on: February 17, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »

It's by the leading Dem on the redistricting committee, Ben Clark.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1198 on: February 17, 2022, 10:29:17 AM »

This very much feels akin to OHs first map.

Contain Ds to as few seats as possible but still lots of competitive seats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1199 on: February 17, 2022, 10:30:06 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 10:40:07 AM by lfromnj »

Its ben clarks. Notice his split of Durham to really boost the suburban wake seat. He did that in his previous map.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies