North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:55:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 86520 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: November 05, 2021, 02:22:00 AM »

If you honestly think that is why the Democrats in then states do that. Then you are fooling yourself.

I’m not saying it’s the only reason. But it was definitely republicans that started the modern gerrymandering war with the old Texas, Louisiana, Florida maps of the 2000s & 2010s. Democrats also are playing in this, but we’re the ones trying to end it.

I think you are forgetting what Democrats did in NC for years. Republicans in NC at least are making maps that are too crazy

...back when the Democratic party in states like NC and TX was still led by white conservatives. You may not be aware that a decade ago, Republicans saw gerrymandering as a necessary tool to achieve power, while the people advocating for commissions and independent redistricting were Democrats. Good government and independent redistricting are liberal priorities. After Republicans used gerrymandering to lock up state legislatures and Congress, many liberals said Inks this, let's go for the jugular, too.

NC and Ohio actually have the Republicans gerrymandering aggressively, but so far this cycle Dems have arguably been more aggressive than Republicans. Illinois and Oregon Dems both did near maximal gerrymanders, NY seems to be on that path, while Indiana Republicans avoided making IN-01 a swing or R seat when they easily could've, same with NE Republicans and Omaha.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #751 on: November 05, 2021, 06:27:48 AM »

If you honestly think that is why the Democrats in then states do that. Then you are fooling yourself.

I’m not saying it’s the only reason. But it was definitely republicans that started the modern gerrymandering war with the old Texas, Louisiana, Florida maps of the 2000s & 2010s. Democrats also are playing in this, but we’re the ones trying to end it.

I think you are forgetting what Democrats did in NC for years. Republicans in NC at least are making maps that are too crazy

...back when the Democratic party in states like NC and TX was still led by white conservatives. You may not be aware that a decade ago, Republicans saw gerrymandering as a necessary tool to achieve power, while the people advocating for commissions and independent redistricting were Democrats. Good government and independent redistricting are liberal priorities. After Republicans used gerrymandering to lock up state legislatures and Congress, many liberals said Inks this, let's go for the jugular, too.

NC and Ohio actually have the Republicans gerrymandering aggressively, but so far this cycle Dems have arguably been more aggressive than Republicans. Illinois and Oregon Dems both did near maximal gerrymanders, NY seems to be on that path, while Indiana Republicans avoided making IN-01 a swing or R seat when they easily could've, same with NE Republicans and Omaha.

Oregon is literally the only state where Dems have actually passed a gerrymander, and I wouldn’t call it quite a “maximal” gerrymander either. In some states, Rs chose to play safer (IN), in others Rs had to fight bad geography (TX) and in states like NE they couldn’t do it all on their own. IL if passed would look hideous but at the end of the day is really no more aggressive than say NC.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #752 on: November 05, 2021, 08:53:03 AM »

I’m not sure why dems are so holier thou here, look we all understand that politics is power and that gerrymandering is a means to power, it’s okay that you like dem gerrymanders, no one will
Judge you
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #753 on: November 05, 2021, 10:05:16 AM »

I’m not sure why dems are so holier thou here, look we all understand that politics is power and that gerrymandering is a means to power, it’s okay that you like dem gerrymanders, no one will
Judge you

I don't like dem gerrymanders, I think they're bad for democracy. I just think they're better than having only Republican gerrymanders, which seems to be the only other option, and that's what I'm mad about.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #754 on: November 05, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »

Gerrymandering is not an evil, it's merely a tool that can be used for good or for bad. Like so many other things in politics.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #755 on: November 05, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »

Would it have been that hard to keep the district numbers the same?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #756 on: November 05, 2021, 10:17:27 AM »

Gerrymandering is not an evil, it's merely a tool that can be used for good or for bad. Like so many other things in politics.

And it's nothing more than an attempt to take advantage of the predictability of the voters. Gerrymandering doesn't succeed if the voters choose to vote unpredictably, particularly so if a significant number of them choose to vote for split tickets.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #757 on: November 05, 2021, 10:20:07 AM »

And it's nothing more than an attempt to take advantage of the predictability of the voters. Gerrymandering doesn't succeed if the voters choose to vote unpredictably, particularly so if a significant number of them choose to vote for split tickets.
I agree completely.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #758 on: November 05, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2021, 02:56:49 PM by lfromnj »

By the way is the new Charlotte district the most compact district in the entire nation?
(And yes Circle > Square such as in Wyoming.)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #759 on: November 05, 2021, 03:44:58 PM »

dra link plz
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #760 on: November 05, 2021, 08:11:14 PM »

Are the R districts without incumbents designed for anyone in particular. I believe one was made for Speaker Tim Moore, but are the other two perhaps meant for Mark Walker and George Holding to come back?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #761 on: November 05, 2021, 08:19:09 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/1e8d1758-f26e-407a-bebd-cf74e01a58b9
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #762 on: November 05, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »

Funny how overall NC-6 is actually pretty compact and clean except for the bottom part which is absolutely horrendous lol. From what I've heard though it's more for the sake of roughly following some city lines rather than for real partisan reasons.

This is why after a certain point following these lines to a tea really ain't worth it IMO.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #763 on: November 05, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »

Funny how overall NC-6 is actually pretty compact and clean except for the bottom part which is absolutely horrendous lol. From what I've heard though it's more for the sake of roughly following some city lines rather than for real partisan reasons.

This is why after a certain point following these lines to a tea really ain't worth it IMO.

Yeah it also makes it such a headache for election administrators as each split precinct is a pain to deal with. It definitely is going to be the new earmuffs if the lines stand.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #764 on: November 05, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »

Yeah it also makes it such a headache for election administrators as each split precinct is a pain to deal with. It definitely is going to be the new earmuffs if the lines stand.

And weirdly, if the court case is successful, we'll probably get earmuffs 2.0 with a Durham-East Raleigh majority-minority seat since you can do this now while still nesting NC-02/NC-05 inside Wake.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #765 on: November 06, 2021, 12:10:31 AM »

The main road I live just off of is in the 4th, but my home is in the 2nd.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #766 on: November 06, 2021, 01:10:12 PM »

Had only the Democrats controlled the NC legislature and been as aggressive as they could, we could have seen something like this...

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #767 on: November 08, 2021, 07:42:17 PM »

What are the odds that the lawsuit works again and this map gets drawn by the NC SC?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #768 on: November 08, 2021, 07:51:00 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2021, 08:03:05 PM by lfromnj »

What are the odds that the lawsuit works again and this map gets drawn by the NC SC?

A lot of situations

Scenario 1: Gets struck down and NC GOP is allowed a redraw to something resulting in 9-5 with a narrow Trump district in the Fayetteville region

Scenario 2: Gets struck down and court takes over and the court takes a dem/special master plan. The Court could theoretically get impeached over this as well.

Scenario 3: About to get struck down but the NC GOP decide to impeach the state supreme court.

Scenario 4: Doesn't reach trial and stuck in appeals if 4 dems decide not to overrule Newby.  Dems are probably on the path to lose the court in 2022

Other scenarios could include a limited VRA intervention in Butterfields district ec.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #769 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:24 AM »

Finally, similar to District 11 in the 2016 Plan, Legislative Defendants created a
safe Republican seat in District 14 by capturing heavily Republican counties in the western part
of the state, pairing them with Asheville’s Democratic voters to ensure that they cannot elect a
candidate of their choice. District 14 pairs Watauga County and Buncombe for the first time
since the 1870s and meticulously avoids the Watauga County boot covering Republican
incumbent Virginia Fox

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e909f4422f7a40a188de597/t/61859e7b8789a02515e620e2/1636146812238/2021.11.05+Supplemental+Complaint.pdf

According to the lawsuit Asheville voters should be afforded a VRA district.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #770 on: November 10, 2021, 01:49:12 AM »

Finally, similar to District 11 in the 2016 Plan, Legislative Defendants created a
safe Republican seat in District 14 by capturing heavily Republican counties in the western part
of the state, pairing them with Asheville’s Democratic voters to ensure that they cannot elect a
candidate of their choice. District 14 pairs Watauga County and Buncombe for the first time
since the 1870s and meticulously avoids the Watauga County boot covering Republican
incumbent Virginia Fox

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e909f4422f7a40a188de597/t/61859e7b8789a02515e620e2/1636146812238/2021.11.05+Supplemental+Complaint.pdf

According to the lawsuit Asheville voters should be afforded a VRA district.

The 14th district is actually more Democratic than I would have guessed, if anything. Not only do they not try to get Asheville out of it like the old maps did they even have it give up some blood red rurals in the South to take in most of Watauga, which is literally the only other blue county west of Charlotte. I mean, the Colorado commission did more to shore up Boebert. I can only assume that Cawthorn has not made many friends in the state legislature.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #771 on: November 10, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »

Posting here as well.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #772 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »

Wow. This must be really new news. I'm real-life friends with Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (D candidate in NC-14) and I haven't heard from her campaign about this yet.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #773 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »

Wow. This must be really new news. I'm real-life friends with Jasmine Beach-Ferrara (D candidate in NC-14) and I haven't heard from her campaign about this yet.

RIP money machine.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #774 on: November 10, 2021, 11:14:56 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 11:23:56 PM by Vern »

Who do you guys think will run in NC-7?

People I would like to run would be: