Is Bush pro-Islam?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:07:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Bush pro-Islam?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Bush pro-Islam?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Is Bush pro-Islam?  (Read 1341 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:40:42 PM »

Let's look at the facts:

-He's said "Religion of peace" more than anyone else.
-He's met with many prominent Islamic leaders
-He's a very good friend of the human trash running Saudi Arabia
-He has never said anything criticial about Islam
-He has said many times things along the lines of that Muslim terrorists are a vast minority who have distorted the religion which really does not promote violence at all

But no, we all know it's really "politically correct liberals" who love Islam so much Roll Eyes
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »

I don't know, but for someone who's so pro-Islam, he sure lost a lot of the Muslim vote in 2004.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »

I don't know, but for someone who's so pro-Islam, he sure lost a lot of the Muslim vote in 2004.

Despite taking over 80% of it in 2000.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 03:15:43 PM »

Despite taking over 80% of it in 2000.

These "pro-Islam" actions were taken after that election.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:36:53 PM »

He's pro-monotheism, and those are all the same.  So yes. 

He's probably against the less awful religions like Buddhism, anamism, etc. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »

Why on Earth do you even care?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I doubt that's true, and it seems irrelevent in any case.

Bearing in mind the state of the World post-9/11 I don't see the problem with that. Frankly it'd be worrying if he *wasn't* doing that...

Now, why on Earth would the leader of an industrialised country want to keep on good terms with the leader of a country that just happens to be sitting on the largest known reserves of a strange black liquid in the World?

Bearing in mind the state of the World I really, really don't see the problem with that...

So? He isn't all that far off. Fundamentally Islam isn't an especially violent religion (yes, yes, it is more violent than Christianity. And? The central figure of Christianity is the preacher son of a carpenter. That's not exactly the norm for religions) and the loony sect responsible for the current troubles is (thank God) a tiny minority outside the Southwest of the Arabian peninsula. Islam is basically Christianity's cousin and like Christianity there is a tremendous diversity in theology, traditions and almost everything else.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »

Because of the claims of the right that it is really leftists who support Islam and "political correctness" means loving Islam.

As for your last point, you point out that the central figure of Christianity is the preacher son of a carpenter who also killed no one. The central figure of Islam is a violent Arabian warlord and noted polygamist and pedophile. One is clearly more violent.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 04:41:16 PM »

Al ripped you a second asshole. Please STFU now.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »

He is not anti-Islam if that is what you are asking.  He might not actually be pro-Islam.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:31:28 PM »

Because of the claims of the right that it is really leftists who support Islam and "political correctness" means loving Islam.

I think you need to stop taking things so personally; calm down a bit and people might start listening to what you have to say.

True; but the point is that it is extremely unusual for the central figure of a religion, any religion, to have that sort of background. It happens to be one of the biggest differences between Christianity and other religions; it gives (or at least it *should* give. Not always been the case, sadly) the overall religion an egalitarian feel, which is, IMO anyway, one reason for it's longlasting popularity.

Violent by the standards of nowadays... yes. Of course. By the standards of Arabia at the time? Hell no.

Nothing unusual about that at that time and in that place

Not so. First off there's a big dispute (that's been going on for more than just a few centuries) as to how old a certain wife was, and also remember that at the time, and for several reasons, it was very, very common for people to marry women of an age that we would consider to be very young indeed.
There was a *lot* of paedophilia in Arabia before Mohammed came along though... one of the reasons for the rigid morality of Islam is quite how disgusting the dominant culture in that part of the World was before Mohammed.

Well yes, obviously, but that's not really the point. Compare Mohammed to the central figures of non-Abrahamic religions... for all his flaws he comes off pretty well.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »

I think you need to stop taking things so personally; calm down a bit and people might start listening to what you have to say.

It's not reasonable to be annoyed by crap like this?

Why am I not surprised?  We are supposed to be oh so tolerant of a religion that condones terrorism and espouses hatred of all 'infidels,' but we should show no tolerance toward the religion of 90% of the American people.  This is typical leftist politically correct s&$t.  You should get your parents to raise holy hell about it.

True; but the point is that it is extremely unusual for the central figure of a religion, any religion, to have that sort of background. It happens to be one of the biggest differences between Christianity and other religions; it gives (or at least it *should* give. Not always been the case, sadly) the overall religion an egalitarian feel, which is, IMO anyway, one reason for it's longlasting popularity.

While true, I can't think of many other violent religious figures, outside of a few rather recent cult leaders.

Well yes, obviously, but that's not really the point. Compare Mohammed to the central figures of non-Abrahamic religions... for all his flaws he comes off pretty well.

Like who? Buddha was a pretty peaceful cool guy.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 07:18:39 PM »

If you are trying to prove that you are more of a bigot that most modern republicans, you are succeeding wonderfully.

I don't have many good things to say about Bush, but with a few exceptions like the "crusade" slip a few years back, and not relegating nutcases like Boykin to some backwater post where they can't do much harm; he's generally put forward a fairly tollerant face on Islam.  He has had at least the sense to quietly rebuke the "nuke Mecca" nutcases in his own party and so on.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 07:25:37 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2006, 07:31:28 PM by phknrocket1k »

Islam is incompatible with Western Liberalism, well religion in general is incompatible with having an advanced society as religion is inherently anti-technology, anti-science and anti-education.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

Islam is incompatible with Western Liberalism, well religion in general is incompatible with having an advanced society as religion is inherently anti-technology, anti-science and anti-education.

*dies laughin*  Ok, keep believing that.  *dies laughin*
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »

It can be proven via standardized tests that secular students overperform religous ones.

Actually, one truly just has to look at the difference between San Jose and Fresno.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 07:55:08 PM »

It would it have been very smart for the president to come out on September 12th, 2001, and delcare, "Now we all are going to kick some Muslim asses amd take names. That damned pedophile Muham-MUhama- Cheney knows his name, had screwed with our national interests one time too many. We are goiung to raise hell and condemn and destroy all Muslims. Welomce to thje Crusades 2001."

You know, that might have started Holy War and there would be many more casulties now in Afghanistan and Iraq than there are in this actual reality.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 08:00:22 PM »

If you are trying to prove that you are more of a bigot that most modern republicans, you are succeeding wonderfully.

Not about being bigoted, but rather rebuking the moronic "politically correct" strawman.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 08:01:17 PM »

It can be proven via standardized tests that secular students overperform religous ones.

Actually, one truly just has to look at the difference between San Jose and Fresno.

See my comment in the other thread.  The same holds true with "religious" and "non-religious" people.  And when more than 75% of the nation identifies with one form of religion or another, I highly doubt that the other 25% is smarter than the majority.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 07:55:08 AM »

Not so. First off there's a big dispute (that's been going on for more than just a few centuries) as to how old a certain wife was, and also remember that at the time, and for several reasons, it was very, very common for people to marry women of an age that we would consider to be very young indeed.

Yes, they had the right idea.  Prudery has overtaken the world.

Freedom will always be destroyed by the forces of social control, Al.  Most people are prudes.  I would love to know more about those wonderful times before the tyrant mohammed came along!  I suppose prostitution was commonplace?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 12:18:49 PM »

Well if true than maybe people should quit making the idiotic argument that "politically correct" leftists love Islam?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 12:22:35 PM »

You don't seem to realize that your being a bigot doesn't mean the majority of liberals are just like you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 12:41:26 PM »

First of all, I'm overjoyed that people from all edges of the spectrum are pointing out how bigoted some of BRTD's comments are.

On religious matters, George W. Bush is tolerant (I would say that of Clinton).  I see no problem with a leader of a country that constitutionally guaranteed freedom of religion as being tolerant of a particular religion.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 02:31:41 PM »

First of all, I'm overjoyed that people from all edges of the spectrum are pointing out how bigoted some of BRTD's comments are.

On religious matters, George W. Bush is tolerant (I would say that of Clinton).  I see no problem with a leader of a country that constitutionally guaranteed freedom of religion as being tolerant of a particular religion.

Yet for some reason dazzleman never accuses you of being "politically correct".

If I was pro-Islam, the righties would accuse me of being PC. Since I'm not, I'm accused of being a bigot. No win situation. Explain how to be neither PC or a bigot then.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »

BRTD,

The question boils down to this:  "So what if Bush is pro-Islam (or more correctly, he's not anti-Islam)?"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »

BRTD,

The question boils down to this:  "So what if Bush is pro-Islam (or more correctly, he's not anti-Islam)?"

You probably don't care, and there's no reason you should. The problem is the idiotic double standard righties use. Bush's views on Islam are exactly what dazzleman calls politically correct, and if any leftist behaved the same way as Bush he'd be crucifying him for supporting Islam. But Bush gets a free pass. And when a leftist like me criticizes Islam, I get labeled a bigot. Basically it appears to dazzleman and other righties, any right winger's views on Islam can never be wrong, while any leftist is either "politically correct" or a bigot.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies