Which issue are rural white Americans more passionate about?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which issue are rural white Americans more passionate about?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which one?
Tariffs and trade

Where trans people take a piss

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Which issue are rural white Americans more passionate about?  (Read 530 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »

Option 2 (sane)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 06:12:14 PM »

Neither
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:24:31 PM »

Depends on where in the country they are.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »

I live in a county that is extremely rural and like 98% white according to the census. From what I can tell it's probably the transgender thing. Not a lot of LGBT acceptance around here, even among young people. Like, take my friends from around here and what they post on Facebook. I swear for every economic related post I see, I probably see 10+ more about "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!" or "Abortion is murder!" and stuff like that. So yeah.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 06:59:54 PM »

I live in a county that is extremely rural and like 98% white according to the census. From what I can tell it's probably the transgender thing. Not a lot of LGBT acceptance around here, even among young people. Like, take my friends from around here and what they post on Facebook. I swear for every economic related post I see, I probably see 10+ more about "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve!" or "Abortion is murder!" and stuff like that. So yeah.

Wow, yet another person who actually lives/lived in rural America insisting that the Atlas #populists Purple heart have no clue what they're talking about when they wax poetic about what "issues" motivate rural whites from their homes in Massachusetts and California. Who would've guessed?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »

Option 2, but as a whole, they're probably even more passionate about keeping Mexicans out and preventing Colin Kaepernick from kneeling.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 11:26:21 PM »

Wow, yet another person who actually lives/lived in rural America insisting that the Atlas #populists Purple heart have no clue what they're talking about when they wax poetic about what "issues" motivate rural whites from their homes in Massachusetts and California. Who would've guessed?

To be fair, I don't think most people who argue in favor of campaigns that emphasize populist economics deny that rural whites are backwards on these issues, but more that it's the only thing that might slowly pry some of them away from the repubs.

If all they know about Democrats are social issues, they have no incentive to vote for them.  Most will probably still cling to their guns / religion, though, so it's stupid for Democrats to go totally overboard trying to cater to these people in the short term, and the strategy should be to try to keep winning the suburbs while picking up as many rurals as possible and gradually promoting class consciousness.

ETA: it's actually worth noting that many of these racist / homophobic bastards are actually not working class, they just are old and don't have a college degree.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »

Option 2, but as a whole, they're probably even more passionate about keeping Mexicans out and preventing Colin Kaepernick from kneeling.

the Left is far more obsessed with Kap than the Right is
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »

I only care about option 2 since it actually be has become perhaps the greatest moral issue if our time. (Not itself, but the children transitioning and the drag queens)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 12:18:48 AM »

the Left is far more obsessed with Kap than the Right is

Absolutely not.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 04:12:07 AM »

Yes, clearly this is the reason voters in agricultural regions vote Republican. It’s not like areas dominated by farming have been voting GOP and for other Conservative parties, even when they were far more protectionist, across the anglosphere for aeons before trans issues were prominent in political discourse...

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »

Oh yes I remember being told that my rural white area cares more about economic bread and bitter issues than Collin Kaepernick kneeling. Never mind my actual experience growing up there when people on my actual football team wore towels on their heads to school the morning after Obama’s won because he would implement Sharia Law and the school didn’t do anything besides tell them to take them off
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »

There's plenty of evidence that the right cares more about social issues while the left cares more about economic issues (assuming climate change is counted as an economic issue).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »

Yes, clearly this is the reason voters in agricultural regions vote Republican. It’s not like areas dominated by farming have been voting GOP and for other Conservative parties, even when they were far more protectionist, across the anglosphere for aeons before trans issues were prominent in political discourse...

When did I say it was? I simply asked which issue they cared more about in 2019. Curious you did not give a response. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2019, 01:41:39 PM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Even in coastal areas, outspoken conservatives will say they are "OK" with a $15.00 an hour minimum wage, gun control,  unions, heavy workplace and safety regulations, and social security. The main issues they bring up are their opposition to immigration, environmental protection, abortion, civil rights protesters and police reform. They complain about flags on clearance and how "they don't see" racism.  They don't really care that much about LBGT, the trade war, or the EU.

So yeah. Identity politics and virtue signaling policies are a big thing. That's how it has been since at least 2000. They are very moderate on non-identity issues.

Like HS, I can attest to this.
I went to my senior year of HS and college in Wyoming. Back then during Bush's presidency, they brought up the exact same issues...but gun control, too. It was interesting how a lot of them "pivoted" on the war. I did too but in the opposite way.

Right now, I rent a room in a million dollar house (its like 5000 sqft in the main area and has a 1000 sqft basement rented by an alcoholic leftist couple downstairs) in the north NYC suburbs (literally across the street from Westchester County) where the owner is a pretty rank and file establishment Connecticut person who doesn't like the president but the two other roommates are part of the general alt-Right appeal. They at least act like they like my girlfriend when she comes up for the weekend from Florida (she's black)... so...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies