HR 20-17: Democracy Is Not For Sale Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:55:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HR 20-17: Democracy Is Not For Sale Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HR 20-17: Democracy Is Not For Sale Amendment (Passed)  (Read 3108 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« on: October 10, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »

Could this be resolved by removing the word corporate in the explanation, maybe by third party spending ?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 06:45:54 PM »

Is the explanation part working like a regular bill, if we want to amend we have to propose an amendment and vote on it ?

The word corporate could lead to confusion, some might think it's for private companies but if I understand it's for all kind of organizations.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »

proposing an amendment to clarify the explanation. Some might think corporate spending is only private business, so I am proposing third party spending instead.

AN AMENDMENT
to the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia

Be it enacted by both houses of Congress, assembled:
Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this Amendment shall be, the "Democracy Is Not For Sale Amendment."

Section 2 (Amendment)
i. Article III§6(i) of the Fourth Constitution is amended to read as follows:
The Congress shall have the power, except where limited elsewhere by this Constitution, [. . .]
xvi. To regulate independent expenditures for political communication.

Explanation:
This amendment would overturn the ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission by allowing Congress to regulate corporate third party spending in political campaigns.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »

Your proposal would make it legal to limit these organizations to only spending $1.00 per election.

I wanted to know if this could legally happen. If the constitution has a right for third party spending  and Congress could regulate this but not eliminate it. I mean it could be restrictions but allowing a respectable spending limit (not a few dollars only).
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »

nay
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 04:29:41 PM »

Nay

I vote Nay because I had no answer about the issue raised of possibility and legality of limiting speanding to ridiculously low amount, only symbolic likee 1$, so I prefer to be cautious and not vote for something to later find out it authorized something I didn't know.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »

Your proposal would make it legal to limit these organizations to only spending $1.00 per election.

I wanted to know if this could legally happen. If the constitution has a right for third party spending  and Congress could regulate this but not eliminate it. I mean it could be restrictions but allowing a respectable spending limit (not a few dollars only).

That's a power that Congress should have IMO if it were to choose, at least from a constitutional standpoint.

Limiting spending to 1$ for example could be seen as stopping freedom of speech.
"Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, nor of the press, nor withholding the freedom to peaceably assemble and to petition for the redress of grievances."
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »

Fails 4-2 (needed 6).

Let me re-introduce this using my own slot and same thread.

Even if a bill is presented again, shouldn't the number be changed ? I think it should start in another thread anf have the minimum debate time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies