Keith Olbermann Smacks Down O'Reilly and Gibson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 11:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Keith Olbermann Smacks Down O'Reilly and Gibson
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Keith Olbermann Smacks Down O'Reilly and Gibson  (Read 8728 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2005, 07:13:45 PM »
« edited: December 30, 2005, 07:18:04 PM by jmfcst »

And another interesting thread gets ruined.

Sorry you didn't catch that this started with Olbermann took issue with Gibson's claim that Christian was the only true religion. 

Maybe you should rewatch the clip. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2005, 07:51:27 PM »

Again, you're using that book to decide what is good for other people.  How about you let them decide for themselves whether, (A) what they do is 'wrong', and (B) whether they should continue doing it.  As long as they are consenting and not hurting anybody else, what right do you and your book have to tell them what to do?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2005, 09:26:48 PM »

Again, you're using that book to decide what is good for other people.  How about you let them decide for themselves whether, (A) what they do is 'wrong', and (B) whether they should continue doing it.  As long as they are consenting and not hurting anybody else, what right do you and your book have to tell them what to do?

Judge for yourself whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God.  I am under commandment from God to offer correction to my fellow Christian brothers.  Obviously, I am not forcefully making him listen.  And there is always the ignore button.

I also accept correction from other Christians, but I weigh what they say against scripture.  If what they say is true, I accept the correction.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2005, 10:21:30 PM »

Olbermann has the highest rated show on MSNBC.

That's not saying much.....Cheesy
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2005, 01:05:21 AM »

Don’t know of any differing accounts, except for two separate accounts of a single battle in the old testament giving a very long list of items that were destroyed or captured.  On one item, one account says 500 (I think the item was captured chariots or something like that), the other account says 5000.  I think this “difference” is due to a scribe making an error while copying one of the accounts.

You don't know of differing accounts in the gospels?  I'm not a Christian and off the top of my head I can think of dozens.  Ex:  Joseph and Mary are already in bethlehem in one account while in others they need to travel there.  Both can not be true.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Teachings that were popular in the immediate post Jesus times but were essentially struck from the record by Paul etc.

You’ll have to clarify what you mean.[/quote]

Obviously the gospels were not written in English and odds are they were first passed along as verbal traditions and then written in Aramaic and Greek before ending up in Latin etc.  How do you account for historical and linguistic errors made by men even if originally Jesus' words were that directly of God.

While I appreciate the story you really didn't answer my question.  If you had never heard of Jesus would you be able to find faith elsewhere?

Sounds like a cop out to me.  Trying to understand historical events (regardless if you believe that Jesus was the only son of God who was raised from the dead) without putting them in historical context is just trying to delude ones self.

Doesn't answer my question. What is more important living by Jesus' example and teachings or having faith that he was the only son of God?

Yes it is.  But you didn't answer the question.  Would Jesus have voted for George W Bush?  Why or Why not?

I'm going to be completely upfront with you.  I think end of the worlders have silly beliefs.  Both the people who think that aliens are hiding behind comets and coming to save them or those who think that Jesus is comming back to take them all away.  However I am trying to determine if you are intellectually honest with yourself about your beliefs and you truely seek God where no matter how silly your beliefs might seem to me they are still deserving of respect or if you like most end of the worlders are a nut job worthy of a straight jacket and ductape.  You've said some things on here that make me want to give you credit.  If you feel that you don't wish to answer some of my questions publically that is cool and if you do so in PMs I will promise that no other will ever read the responses. 

Please ignore any spelling mistakes or things that don't make sense.  I'm pretty drunk. =)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2005, 01:06:51 AM »

Olbermann has the highest rated show on MSNBC.

That's akin to saying you're the most educated person in Niger.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2005, 02:32:58 AM »

Wow, so you guys are about the 11 people who watch the show.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2005, 03:35:30 AM »

i watch it occassionally, but I much prefer Matthews's Hardball.
MSNBC is my favorite station to watch, CNN has the better website - much more balanced.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2005, 03:39:21 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2005, 05:06:02 AM by jmfcst »

You don't know of differing accounts in the gospels?  I'm not a Christian and off the top of my head I can think of dozens.  Ex:  Joseph and Mary are already in Bethlehem in one account while in others they need to travel there.  Both can not be true.

Matthew

1:8-24 Joseph discovers Mary's pregnancy prior to their marriage. Angels reassure Joseph.  Joseph takes Mary home as his wife.  No location of these events is given.

2:1 reads…”After Jesus was born in Bethlehem…”  Location of Jesus’ birth is given as Bethlehem.

Luke

1:26 recounts angels foretelling the birth of Jesus to Mary.  The location of the angels visit to Mary is given as Nazareth.

2:4 Joseph takes Mary to Bethlehem for the census.

2:6 Jesus is born in Bethlehem

John and Mark begin at the beginning of Jesus’ ministry, and therefore tell nothing about his birth.

Sorry, I don’t see any contradiction at all in these accounts.  Just because Matthew does not cite the location of Joseph’s discovery of Mary’s pregnancy doesn’t force a contradiction with Luke any more than Mark and John not citing Jesus’ birth.  None of the accounts claim to be exhaustive.  You’re just being purposely silly.

---

Obviously the gospels were not written in English and odds are they were first passed along as verbal traditions and then written in Aramaic and Greek before ending up in Latin etc.

Matthew was one of the 12 Apostles and was an eyewitness, so there was absolutely no reason for Matthew to have had to rely upon “verbal traditions” being passed down.  He was there.

Mark was a companion of Peter and is mentioned in Acts 12:12, so he would have received the gospel account directly from Peter’s eyewitness.  Mark then is mentioned with Paul (Acts 12:25;13:5), who received the gospel directly from Jesus through revelation.  Mark is then mentioned accompanying Barnabas in Acts 15:36-39.  Mark is with Paul towards the end of Paul’s life (2Tim 2:11).

Luke was a companion of Paul starting at Acts 16:10.

John was one of the 12 Apostles and was an eyewitness, so there was absolutely no reason for John to have had to rely upon “verbal traditions” being passed down.  He was there.

So 2 of the gospels were written directly by eyewitnesses.  And the other 2 gospels were written by people who were companions of Peter and/or Paul.

Therefore, I don’t know what this talk about “verbal traditions” is all about. 

Nor do I see a problem in their translations.  If you know of one example, then present it to me.

---

How do you account for historical and linguistic errors made by men even if originally Jesus' words were that directly of God.

I don’t understand the question.  I believe the writers of the New Testament were directed by God.

---

While I appreciate the story you really didn't answer my question.  If you had never heard of Jesus would you be able to find faith elsewhere?

Sure, if it wasn’t for Jesus, I could be worshipping demons as the Muslims are.  But the point of me telling my story was to demonstrate that I didn’t find Jesus, rather Jesus found me.  So I guess if Jesus hadn’t found me, I would have been open to the influence of demons and led to believe a lie...or maybe I would have remained non-religious.

---

Sounds like a cop out to me.  Trying to understand historical events (regardless if you believe that Jesus was the only son of God who was raised from the dead) without putting them in historical context is just trying to delude ones self.

I never said I didn’t put the biblical events in historical context.  You asked me what I felt about non-believers historical attempts to understand Jesus.  And I replied that non-believers try to look for logical explanations to explain away the accounts so that they can convince themselves they made a good decision when they rejected Jesus as the Messiah.

---

Doesn't answer my question. What is more important living by Jesus' example and teachings or having faith that he was the only son of God?

Maybe you should rephrase you question because I view it as you asking me to choose between the importance of faith or the importance of obedience.  As I said, I view them with equal importance as did James:

“Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” (James 2:17)

---

Yes it is.  But you didn't answer the question.  Would Jesus have voted for George W Bush?  Why or Why not?

If Jesus would have been willing to choose between the lesser of two evils, which I doubt he would have, he would have only voted in one presidential election cycle, for it only took him 3.5 years to make people mad enough to kill him.

So, my answer is:  I don’t think Jesus would have participated in voting unless he himself was running for office.

Platform wise, I believe the GOP is closer to the rules of the New Testament than the Dems.  But I don’t think Jesus would have settled for just being “closer”.  He was an all or nothing type.

---

I'm going to be completely upfront with you.  I think end of the worlders have silly beliefs.  Both the people who think that aliens are hiding behind comets and coming to save them or those who think that Jesus is comming back to take them all away.

If you haven’t noticed, I am not advocating suicide, nor have I ever been a member of the Heaven’s Gate cult.

Nor am I setting a date for Jesus’ return, nor am I even claiming that the antichrist has even been born yet.

So, let’s not compare apples with oranges.

---

or if you like most end of the worlders are a nut job worthy of a straight jacket and ductape.

The vast majority of Christians believe this world is coming to an end, yet we function in life just fine.  You’re just trying to define us by the actions of the Branch Davidians, instead of allowing our own actions to speak for themselves.

---

If you feel that you don't wish to answer some of my questions publically that is cool and if you do so in PMs.

The only topic that is off limits is my identity.  I’m an open book for any other question. 

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2005, 03:45:13 AM »

jm,

When you get the chance, can you respond to this?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=33944.0

Thanks.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2005, 03:53:17 AM »

Done

Economic score: 2.46
Social score: 4.00
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length