Gay marriage map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:26:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay marriage map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Gay marriage map  (Read 30430 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 12:59:29 AM »

I don't think there was a referendum.

No, there wasn't -but then Jesus didn't specify whether he wanted us to give figures on those states that did, specifically, pass referendums banning gay marriage, or whether those gay marriage bans were passed by state legislatures. 

Either way, the gay marriage ban in Virginia probably passed solidly. 

I do mean referendums.

Great -then say so at the beginning of this thread. 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »

Tennessee will have the ban on the ballot this year.

Banning gay marriage is fine.  The problem are the resolutions that ban civil unions or any other form of recognized partnerships as well.

No its not fine, people's lives are destroyed. Its so easy for others to just casually say "gay marriage should be banned", they don't have to worry about it, they can marry anyone they like.

And civil unions are a joke. Connecticut legalized them this year and less than 300 have been done, in a state with 3.5 million people. They are "separate but equal" (equal to the rights of marriage but separate in name) and not worth the effort. Those thousands of marriages in California and Oregon last year took place b/c people thought they were getting a meaningful contract, not a poll-tested compromise.

Christmas Cookies- A poll last spring (sorry I don't have source) of Connecticut residents/voters said that they were split 50/50 on legalizing same-sex marriage, but a big majority (somewhere around 65-75%) were for civil unions. Thats why the State Assembly took the latter route. The sad thing is 50% in favor of full marriage rights would be one of the highest rates in the country.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 02:08:07 AM »

Would you accept the state declaring state involvement in marriage a violation of the establishment clause?  So civil unions all around?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 02:12:17 AM »

Would you accept the state declaring state involvement in marriage a violation of the establishment clause?  So civil unions all around?

No

I don't want to change the entire concept of marriage, I just want to include same-sex couples. Polygamy and other forms would still be off limits. This debate is about including gays into the mainstream of society, and changing gov't involvement just avoids that question.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2005, 02:35:12 AM »

Tennessee will have the ban on the ballot this year.

Banning gay marriage is fine.  The problem are the resolutions that ban civil unions or any other form of recognized partnerships as well.

No its not fine, people's lives are destroyed.

WTF?  How can people's lives be "destroyed" by not having gay marriage.  We dont' currently have gay marriage in the state of Tennessee, so I really don't understand how banning a change the status quo changes anything.

Connecticut legalized them this year and less than 300 have been done, in a state with 3.5 million people. They are "separate but equal" (equal to the rights of marriage but separate in name) and not worth the effort.

So let me see if I understand your point:

You don't want the legal protections and civil rights that come with marriage -- you just want to steal the religious tradition called "marriage".   Interesting.  That really screws up those of us who argue that gays deserve the rights of hospital visitation, insurance sharing, etc.  You don't want equality, you just want to take something that isn't yours.

Those thousands of marriages in California and Oregon last year took place b/c people thought they were getting a meaningful contract, not a poll-tested compromise.

Civil unions are not a poll-tested compromise, they extend the civil rights that come with marriage to gay and lesbian couples.
Dan
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2005, 07:41:28 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, they just haven't voted on it yet, states in the northeast lack initiative rights.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 11:25:34 AM »

I don't want to change the entire concept of marriage, I just want to include same-sex couples. Polygamy and other forms would still be off limits. This debate is about including gays into the mainstream of society, and changing gov't involvement just avoids that question.

Why should gays be included, but not incestuous couples?

More importantly, why should government decide what should or should not be "mainstream?" You are apparently a fascist.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 11:47:33 AM »

Why should gays be included, but not incestuous couples?

More importantly, why should government decide what should or should not be "mainstream?" You are apparently a fascist.

Last time I checked, gays were in the mainstream of society.  Of course, so are poker players, drug dealers, and school kids. 
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 11:52:02 AM »

Would you accept the state declaring state involvement in marriage a violation of the establishment clause?
No.

Better than having civil unions for everyone, the government should simply separate itself completely from the institution of marriage. The government give official recognition to "marriages," "civil unions," or anything else. Instead, the institution should be completely private.

I don't want to change the entire concept of marriage, I just want to include same-sex couples. Polygamy and other forms would still be off limits.
That seems like an extremely arbitrary distinction. Why should polygamy be "off limits," but not same-sex marriage?
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 11:39:38 PM »

Travis County voted 59.94%-40.05% (81,170 to 54,246) against the Texas gay marriage amendment (only county to do so).  

The amendment passed 76.25%-23.75% statewide (1,723,782 to 536,913)

Amusingly, if you remove Travis County from the results, the percentage would increase to 78.56%-21.44% statewide.

Similarly - and also amusing - if you remove Travis county from Texas the state's average IQ drops from 87 to 59! Smiley

Opebo have you ever been to Texas?  I can smell the ignorance from here, you reek of it.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »

I believe in michigan it was 59-41
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 08:39:39 PM »

I was stunned when the ban passed in Oregon. I was sure they would reject it and then follow the lead of MA. So gay marriage has never been rejected in a popular vote. Dare we conclude that this might mean something?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

Travis County voted 59.94%-40.05% (81,170 to 54,246) against the Texas gay marriage amendment (only county to do so).  

Amusingly, if you remove Travis County from the results, the percentage would increase to 78.56%-21.44% statewide.

Similarly - and also amusing - if you remove Travis county from Texas the state's average IQ drops from 87 to 59! Smiley

Travis county also has the highest STD rates in Texas.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 11:09:12 PM »

Athens County was the only one to vote against the amendment here last year.  Not too surprising.  And people still talk about Cuyahoga being the most socially liberal....

Green = Yes
Red = No
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 09:22:44 AM »

Now we just need to spread that around the country. I suspect gay marraige would be banned in most states, New England would be the places I'd look for it to pass though.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 09:24:22 AM »

Now we just need to spread that around the country. I suspect gay marraige would be banned in most states, New England would be the places I'd look for it to pass though.

And Hawai'i. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 09:29:20 AM »

And Hawai'i. 

That's also a possibility but I believe it will be passed there as well though by a much reduced margin.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 09:36:20 AM »

And Hawai'i. 

That's also a possibility but I believe it will be passed there as well though by a much reduced margin.

I remember when Hawaii passed their legislation to allow gay marriage, and then turned right around and cancelled it.  hehehe . . . gotta love states that can't make up their mind.  Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2005, 09:38:38 AM »

Travis county also has the highest STD rates in Texas.

Sounds like a fun place, jmfcst.  Young people having sex - I like it!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2005, 10:57:11 AM »

They do have the same rights. Each member of each has the right to marry someone of the opposite sex.

How about incestuous couples?

I think this is one of the worse arguments ever thought up for anything.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2005, 11:15:25 AM »

Then I'm sorry your reasoning skills are so poor.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2005, 04:59:57 PM »

They should. I was simply pointing out his hypocrisy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2005, 05:01:15 PM »

They should. I was simply pointing out his hypocrisy.

What hypocrisy?  You were complaining about his argument.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2005, 06:00:28 PM »

He refuses to endorse incestuous marriage, while whining about "equal rights" for homosexual couples.

What are you talking about?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2005, 06:28:29 PM »

He refuses to endorse incestuous marriage, while whining about "equal rights" for homosexual couples.

What are you talking about?

Oh, somehow I managed to read only the first sentence of your post and missed the question about incestuous couples.  I'm a moron.  Sorry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies