Dream Candidates.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Dream Candidates.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dream Candidates.  (Read 1738 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2005, 06:53:13 PM »

Let’s assume your head of the DSCC or NRSC and have the ability to hand urge/cajole candidates into Senate races across the country who do you put up?

Who do the Democrats nominate in Ohio? How about the GOP in Tennessee?

How would you play it? And what about House or Gubernatorial races who would you try to get to run there?

Any Thoughts? 
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 07:35:20 PM »

Fred Thompson comes back Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 02:09:35 AM »

Florida - Get Jeb or one of the House members (Weldon, Foley, etc.)
Tennesse - Hilleary
Michigan - Rep. Miller, for the love of God jump in this race.
Washington - Rossi could make it close(r).
Wisconsin - It's Thompson time.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 02:19:35 AM »

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:41:15 AM »

I like Van... hell I dressed up in a bird costume for him for crying out loud... but I don't think he's anyone's dream candidate Smiley

Marsha Blackburn is an ideal candidate for either Senate or Gov, but she'll wait a few more years.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 04:23:27 AM »

Senate:

AZ: Gov. Janet Napolitano, AG Terry Goddard, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon
UT: Rep. Jim Matheson, University President, Gov-nominee Scott Matheson
MT: Gov. Brian Schweitzer, AG Mike McGrath
WY: Gov. Dave Freudenthal, AG Patrick J. Crank
TX: Houston Mayor Bill White, Congressman Jim Turner
MO: State Auditor Claire McCaskill, AG Jay Nixon
TN: Gov. Phil Brehedson, Dem congressmen not named Ford
MS: frmr AG Michael Moore
OH: Rep. Ted Strickland, Rep. Tim Ryan
PA: Treasurer Bob Casey, Gov. Ed Rendell
NJ: Gov. Dick Codey
MD: Rep. Elijah Cummings, Doug Duncan
RI: Rep. Jim Langevin
ME: frmr Gov. Angus King, Rep. Tom Allen
VT: Rep. Bernie Sanders
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 06:09:10 AM »

Senate

Forget it, waste no money in these states

Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Texas, Maine

The Dream Team 2006

Montana: State Auditor John Morrison.  Schweitzer is tempting here in dreamland, but still I'll let him be a Governor for at least a full term before office hopping.  It probably wouldn't play well anyway, running for senate 2 years after being elected Gov.  What's next, President in 2008?

Missouri: State Auditor Claire McCaskill.  McCaskill almost won the Gov. race in '04, correct?  She's the best bet to take out Talent, although still a slight underdog.  Honorable Mention: Former Congressman Dick Gephardt.

Tennessee: Congressman Harold Ford.  Can a Memphis black do anything at all outside of Memphis and Nashville?  No, but he remains the best bet.  Bredesen isn't popular enough to say he'd do a better job than Ford.  Hopefully Ford can win big in the urban areas and run on his moderate record to fend off getting slaughtered in the rural areas.  Honorable Mention: Former President-Elect Al Gore.  (Because I can)

Mississippi: Former State Attorney General Mike Moore.  I honestly know nothing about the guy, but everyone else thinks he's got a shot so he's the guy.  Gene Taylor would be good, too, but I'd rather keep the house seat as it would flip to the GOP should Taylor chase the senate.

Ohio: Congressman Tim Ryan.  He's certainly better than Hackett and Brown, in that he's from a part of the state that makes him attractive.  Brown's locale is a detractor; the Dem will rout in Cuyahoga no matter what.  But Ryan's a moderate, blue-dog type who can not get slapped badly rurally.  Let Ted Strickland run for Governor.

Pennsylvania: State Treasurer Bob Casey.  He's up doubles in every poll, there's no need to even think about a candidate switch.  He's got Klink written all over him, but we can't do much about that as he's far and away the best candidate.

New Jersey: Governor Richard Codey.  The numbers show that Codey is wildly popular, and he'd slaughter Kean.  In dreamland, his wife can't wait to get to Washington.

Maryland: Senator Paul Sarbanes.  I can't pick him?  Well, then I go with Congressman Ben Cardin.  He seems to be a nice traditional liberal who isn't a nutball (unlike Mfume) and he should have no problems beating Steele.

Rhode Island: Congressman Patrick Kennedy.  This will be Teddy's last term, so we need another liberal Kennedy to roam the Senate floor for  a good half-century.  Another option is putting Lincoln Chafee through conversion, but that doesn't seem likely.

Vermont: Former Governor Howard Dean.  The ultimate outsider takes the show to Washington!  Of course, Sanders will be fine and win by 40%, but I like Dean better.
----

'Tis all.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 06:36:48 AM »

Rhode Island: Congressman Patrick Kennedy.  This will be Teddy's last term, so we need another liberal Kennedy to roam the Senate floor for  a good half-century.  Another option is putting Lincoln Chafee through conversion, but that doesn't seem likely.

Pat Kennedy seems pretty moderate compared to Teddy... but i agree with this being Teddy's last term it'd be nice to have Pat get into the senate some time soon Smiley It also helps that he'd win, might even be able to beat Chafee... which helps!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »

Pat Kennedy's approvals in his district are usually in the '20's. Just thought you all ought to know...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »

Senate

Forget it, waste no money in these states

Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Texas, Maine

The Dream Team 2006

Montana: State Auditor John Morrison.  Schweitzer is tempting here in dreamland, but still I'll let him be a Governor for at least a full term before office hopping.  It probably wouldn't play well anyway, running for senate 2 years after being elected Gov.  What's next, President in 2008?

Missouri: State Auditor Claire McCaskill.  McCaskill almost won the Gov. race in '04, correct?  She's the best bet to take out Talent, although still a slight underdog.  Honorable Mention: Former Congressman Dick Gephardt.

Tennessee: Congressman Harold Ford.  Can a Memphis black do anything at all outside of Memphis and Nashville?  No, but he remains the best bet.  Bredesen isn't popular enough to say he'd do a better job than Ford.  Hopefully Ford can win big in the urban areas and run on his moderate record to fend off getting slaughtered in the rural areas.  Honorable Mention: Former President-Elect Al Gore.  (Because I can)

Mississippi: Former State Attorney General Mike Moore.  I honestly know nothing about the guy, but everyone else thinks he's got a shot so he's the guy.  Gene Taylor would be good, too, but I'd rather keep the house seat as it would flip to the GOP should Taylor chase the senate.

Ohio: Congressman Tim Ryan.  He's certainly better than Hackett and Brown, in that he's from a part of the state that makes him attractive.  Brown's locale is a detractor; the Dem will rout in Cuyahoga no matter what.  But Ryan's a moderate, blue-dog type who can not get slapped badly rurally.  Let Ted Strickland run for Governor.

Pennsylvania: State Treasurer Bob Casey.  He's up doubles in every poll, there's no need to even think about a candidate switch.  He's got Klink written all over him, but we can't do much about that as he's far and away the best candidate.

New Jersey: Governor Richard Codey.  The numbers show that Codey is wildly popular, and he'd slaughter Kean.  In dreamland, his wife can't wait to get to Washington.

Maryland: Senator Paul Sarbanes.  I can't pick him?  Well, then I go with Congressman Ben Cardin.  He seems to be a nice traditional liberal who isn't a nutball (unlike Mfume) and he should have no problems beating Steele.

Vermont: Former Governor Howard Dean.  The ultimate outsider takes the show to Washington!  Of course, Sanders will be fine and win by 40%, but I like Dean better.
----

'Tis all.

I like your picks except Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Ohio:  US Rep. Sherrod Brown.  Elected in swing district (OH 13) in Northern Ohio.  He can bring out the base and there will be no questions as to some of his social views unlike Tim Ryan and Ted Strickland.  The latter two might do better in rural areas, but where is most of the population?  My point exaclty.  I would be happy with Paul Hackett, but would rather him take out that chickenhawk bitch Jean Schmidt.

Pennsylvania: Former US Rep. Joe Hoeffel.  I may have Alan Sandals in my sig, but that is merely to give a vote of disgust knowing Casey will win anyway.  I maybe biased considering he is one of my favorite and former Reps, but I think he's the best chance.  He has been elected to what was once a heavily Republican PA 13 in 1998 and 2000 by getting a lot of liberal to moderate Republicans in Montgomery County.  While 2002 was close, you have to remember that Northeast Philadelphia was a rapidly changing neighborhood at the time plus 9/11 and Melissa Brown's success there was merely a fluke (Phil wil disagree).  Allyson Schwartz would have likely lost in 2002 if she ran against Brown then, but Hoeffel still hung on.  A poll was done recently saying that 23% of pro-choice voters would stay home if they found out Casey was pro-life.  This dynamic scares the living hell out of me for we need pro-choice Montgomery County to win.  Joe Hoeffel would have those votes, Casey is questionable.             
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:00:14 PM »

MD: Rep. Elijah Cummings, Doug Duncan

Whats wrong with Cardin?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 04:17:09 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2005, 04:21:59 PM by nickshepDEM »

MT:  Gov. Brian Schweitzer or Jon Tester
PA:  Bob Casey Jr
VA:  Creigh Deeds or Fmr Sen. Chuck Robb
IN:  Fmr. Rep. Tim Roemer or Fmr. Gov. Mitch Daniels
UT:  Rep. Jim Matheson
TN:  Rep. Harold Ford Jr.
TX:  Houston Mayor Bill White or Rep. Lloyd Doggett
OH:  Rep. Tim Ryan or Paul Hackett
NV:  Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman
MS:  Fmr. Atty. Gen. Mike Moore
RI:  Rep. Jim Langevin
MO:  Attorney General Jay Nixon
AZ:  Gov. Janet Napolitano
WY:  Gov. Dave Freudenthal
MD:  Rep. Ben Cardin or Mayor Martin O'Malley or Del. Anthony G. Brown.
NJ:  Gov. Dick Codey
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »

Ohio:  US Rep. Sherrod Brown.  Elected in swing district (OH 13) in Northern Ohio.  He can bring out the base and there will be no questions as to some of his social views unlike Tim Ryan and Ted Strickland.  The latter two might do better in rural areas, but where is most of the population?  My point exaclty.  I would be happy with Paul Hackett, but would rather him take out that chickenhawk bitch Jean Schmidt.

LOL! Brown electable oh now that a good one!

Putting the allegations about cocaine abuse while Ohio SoS which seem set to blow up if he becomes the Dem Senate candidate to one side…

Brown’s politics are way to the left of the mainstream in Ohio, ask Joe Republic – whose pretty indicatives of your average Ohio voter.

Brown’s a man who voted hand in glove with the Union Lobby on any and every issue from NAFTA and CAFTA to calling for the USA to withdraw from the WTO!

On Social issues, while Ryan and Strickland are less liberal than the archetypal Democrat Brown is way to the left of both most Democrats and certainly the majority of Ohio voters -  categorically opposing any restrictions on abortion, denouncing state support for faith based initiatives, voting against permitting school prayer and opposing anti drug trafficking measures. – Not only will such a voting record bring the RR firmly out behind the comparatively moderate DeWine but it will alienate large swaths of moderate Ohio voters.

Beyond domestic issues Brown’s record is one of a classic dove, on a par with his fellow Ohioan Denis Kucinich – opposed fairly basic anti terror measures such as the
 federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists, voted against the recommendations of the 9/11 commission and voted to ban military recruiters from college campuses, in contrast to many Democrats Brown’s views on Iraq and US foreign policy have been shrill and verging on the pacifistic - yet again this provides plenty of ammunition for the GOP and more importantly alienates broad swaths of swing voters, disaffected republicans and even conservative blue collar dems in Ohio.

If you want to nominate a candidate with Brown’s positions just nominate Denis Kucinich and have done with it – there politics are nye on indistinguishable.

While Ryan and Strickland don’t tick the right boxes for some on the left they balance views on social and international largely in tune with Democratic voters with interventionist, classically populist approaches to fiscal concerns what is more both are expert at presenting their positions in a considered and accessible way – in contrast to the likes of Brown or Kucinich who are very abrasive and alienating in their unbendingly ideological approach to issues.

Ryan would have been the best candidate but I think he’s playing a much longer game… Brown would not be a disaster, but he would lose, DeWine is not as unpopular as Dems like to believe but he’s beatable, however he is not beatable by a candidate who has shown himself egotistical and vain and what’s more who’s views alienate all but the Democratic base – and you need more than the base to win, which is something you don’t seem to take into account, sure Brown could win in the Democrat strongholds but he would be hammered in the suburbs and rural parts of the state.

Hackett isn’t perfect he can be temperamental and is largely untried, but he has a good campaigning form and has a proven appeal amongst moderates and suburban/ rural voters with a well honed, almost western, libertarian leaning narrative similar to the likes of Brian Schweitzer or Ken Salazar. Hackett would hold the Democratic base with ease and would critically be competive in rural Ohio giving him a chance at defeating DeWine.

Verdict in short – You have to be competive outside of Cleveland in order to win state-wide in Ohio – Brown can’t compete beyond the Democratic base and you’ve done nothing to suggest otherwise, short of Strickland or Ryan, Hackett is the Dems best bet for this seat.                                        

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I rather think you dislike Casey not because he might lose but because he isn’t liberal enough for your liking, but far be it from me to suggest you where being intolerant towards someone because of their political views.

Casey’s not perfect, he’s still has a lot to learn about campaigning and yes not all of the Democratic base will be happy with him – but critically unlike other Dems he’s called Casey what’s more he has deep to the blue collar, moderate Dems in the west of the state who otherwise might very well back Santorum over a more liberal or less well known figure.

Most importantly while he might not get as much of the liberal vote as other Democrats he’s leading Santorum by double digits thanks in large part to the fact that he can appeal to the west of the state unlike Hoeffel etc… what is more in a contest between Santorum and any Democrat people for who being pro-choice is a big issue will either sit on their hands or, more likely, come out and vote for Casey as the Democrat – are you telling me they won’t come out and vote for Rendell coz Casey’s on the ticket – they’ll vote for Casey and he stand every chance of winning.

Though I take your point that he far from a perfect candidate – if he had some of his dad’s piazzas he be doing even better right now and would probably be able to stave off a Santorum recovery that’s likely to kick in during the summer of 06, though I’d hazard that it simply won’t be enough to overcome Casey’s lead.                      
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 05:01:45 PM »

What is with the love affair of pro-life Democrats on here.  I'm seeing a lot of Tim Ryan and Ted Strickland for OH, Bob Casey for PA, and Jim Langevin of RI.  Can anyone say RON KLINK 2000?Huh??
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 05:09:19 PM »

Ben, again-  Bob Casey=Ron Klink with a namesake.  You furthered my point by saying Santorum will recover. Guess where?  The suburban , and population rich Southeastern Pennsylvania where Santorum won in 2000 because we nominated a socially conservative dud like Klink instead of Allyson Schwartz like we should have.  People we simply unenthused about Ron Klink and withheld their vote for him.  That would not be the case if we nominated Joe Hoeffel.  The area is flying left by the second.  We also don't want to send mixed messages to these voters and you and I should know Santorum will make it loud and clear that Casey is a social conservative and has even flip-flopped on stem cell research. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 05:29:47 PM »

Ben, again-  Bob Casey=Ron Klink with a namesake.  You furthered my point by saying Santorum will recover. Guess where?  The suburban , and population rich Southeastern Pennsylvania where Santorum won in 2000 because we nominated a socially conservative dud like Klink instead of Allyson Schwartz like we should have.  People we simply unenthused about Ron Klink and withheld their vote for him.  That would not be the case if we nominated Joe Hoeffel.  The area is flying left by the second.  We also don't want to send mixed messages to these voters and you and I should know Santorum will make it loud and clear that Casey is a social conservative and has even flip-flopped on stem cell research. 

But you can’t win without the blue collar voters in the west of the state -  Casey is the only candidate who stand a shot at beating Santorum then.

I’m a pro-life Dem but its not something I base my support upon – Tim Ryan is an excellent candidate and would have probably beaten DeWine, Brown is a very weak candidate and Hackett is the best that is available but has a chance that’s my reason for backing him over Brown, and also the fact that Brown seems like a rather unpleasant sort of person.

In PA I agree that Casey isn’t an impressive campaigning, and we both agree that Santorum will narrow the gap during the summer, thing is Casey has his name and an appeal to culturally conservative and populist dems especially in the west of the state for those two reason he’ll win (though by somewhere between 3-6% rather than the 14-15% the polls currently show)… Hoeffel wouldn’t appeal to the blue collar voters out west and would never poll as far ahead of Santorum as Casey currently is, he might stand a shot at winning but while Casey has flaws he is absolutely the best that the Dems can put up in PA – like Ryan would have - he’ll lose some votes on the left but he’ll more than make up for that amongst the moderate and swing voters he picks up as a result of his politics and his name, which alone gives him a credibility amongst voters that no other potential Dem can boast of.           
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 06:29:27 PM »

But you can’t win without the blue collar voters in the west of the state -  Casey is the only candidate who stand a shot at beating Santorum then.

I’m a pro-life Dem but its not something I base my support upon – Tim Ryan is an excellent candidate and would have probably beaten DeWine, Brown is a very weak candidate and Hackett is the best that is available but has a chance that’s my reason for backing him over Brown, and also the fact that Brown seems like a rather unpleasant sort of person.

In PA I agree that Casey isn’t an impressive campaigning, and we both agree that Santorum will narrow the gap during the summer, thing is Casey has his name and an appeal to culturally conservative and populist dems especially in the west of the state for those two reason he’ll win (though by somewhere between 3-6% rather than the 14-15% the polls currently show)… Hoeffel wouldn’t appeal to the blue collar voters out west and would never poll as far ahead of Santorum as Casey currently is, he might stand a shot at winning but while Casey has flaws he is absolutely the best that the Dems can put up in PA – like Ryan would have - he’ll lose some votes on the left but he’ll more than make up for that amongst the moderate and swing voters he picks up as a result of his politics and his name, which alone gives him a credibility amongst voters that no other potential Dem can boast of.           

Santorum has screwed over these blue collar voters enough to the point they may in fact swallow their social values and vote their wallet.  Santorum is also not popular out there due to the Penn Hills scandal.  Even people that don't know much about politics know that.  If I were Joe Hoeffel, and considering my position and where I live I very well could be in his position someday, I would definitely run against Casey, but let it be known I will strongly support Casey if he were to win and let the Democratic voters of PA decide who they want- a social liberal or a social conservative.  I would also nail Santorum on many of his gross hypocricies i.e. His wife and the chiropractor, the fact his first house was purchased with FHA, shallI continue?  Even social conservatives I know are having trouble tolerating his bullsh**t.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 02:10:27 PM »

What is with the love affair of pro-life Democrats on here.  I'm seeing a lot of Tim Ryan and Ted Strickland for OH, Bob Casey for PA, and Jim Langevin of RI.  Can anyone say RON KLINK 2000?Huh??

You really have to stop applying Ron Klink to every candidate that you think will lose.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies