Manufacturing index falls to lowest level in a decade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:16:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manufacturing index falls to lowest level in a decade
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manufacturing index falls to lowest level in a decade  (Read 644 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:14:56 PM »

Manufacturing contracted for a second consecutive month in September, falling to its lowest level of activity in a decade, according to the Institute for Supply Management (ISM).

The group's production manufacturing index slid to 47.8, down from 49.1 percent in August. Any reading below 50 percent indicates contraction.
“Global trade remains the most significant issue, as demonstrated by the contraction in new export orders that began in July 2019. Overall, sentiment this month remains cautious regarding near-term growth,” said ISM Chairman Timothy R. Fiore.

President Trump, who made manufacturing a central part of his 2016 campaign, blamed the decrease on the Federal Reserve and its chairman, Jerome Powell.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »

So. much. winning.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »

So much for winning the trade war!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »

Lowest since the last month of the 2008/9 Great Recession. 

Of course a lot of this is uncertainty and if a decisive deal is made (it will be with plenty of time to spare before the election...by design), manufacturing will bounce back.

If Iran and domestic political battles go badly, people will subconsciously respond by cutting back consumption, which might dampen good spirits from any trade deal.

But I suspect there will be a pullback like in 2016...people are gonna be so focused on politics they will forget to spend money.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »

Of course a lot of this is uncertainty and if a decisive deal is made (it will be with plenty of time to spare before the election...by design), manufacturing will bounce back.

If Iran and domestic political battles go badly, people will subconsciously respond by cutting back consumption, which might dampen good spirits from any trade deal.

But I suspect there will be a pullback like in 2016...people are gonna be so focused on politics they will forget to spend money.

I just thought that was caused by a minor credit crunch in China in early 2016.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 02:33:48 PM »

I just thought that was caused by a minor credit crunch in China in early 2016.
It was caused initially by the commodity price collapse in 2014 which tanked investment in oil exploration and hurt energy, ag, and manufacturing...but I believe the rebound was delayed and impacted by the election campaign...especially since those most impacted...farmers, oil men, and factory workers...were probably very pessimistic until Trump really started in on his message that targeted them...this would inspire confidence even before he won.  

Separate rant that doesn’t necessarily apply to you.

I think every time you disagree with somebody and want to correct them...you should ask yourself if your correction addresses the “why” or if you’re just disagreeing and then restating the “what” as a substitution for “why”.

I see this so much on Atlas...

Questioner:  “why did this happen?  I think it was because of this.”

Answerer:  “No!  actually, what happened is (proceeds to explain what happened step by step as if that provides the answer to WHY it happened the way it did...which was already understood by implication so now you’re just dealing with somebody who repeats what he is told and literally cannot ask why because they were not told to or they were told not to)”
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »

Blumpf is finished now! I bet THIS will cause all his "WWC" supporters to vote Democratic! Because Americans totally vote based on economic statistics when many of them can't even do basic math!

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »

Blumpf is finished now! I bet THIS will cause all his "WWC" supporters to vote Democratic! Because Americans totally vote based on economic statistics when many of them can't even do basic math!

The "kitchen table" photo is of a neoliberal kitchen table (look at that red wine and fine cake!). We need a real WWC kitchen table for full effect.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »

The "kitchen table" photo is of a neoliberal kitchen table (look at that red wine and fine cake!). We need a real WWC kitchen table for full effect.

It even has a bottle of wine on it, FFS!!!
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »

The bread and butter populists will take nothing other than Natty Light!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »

The bread and butter populists will take nothing other than Natty Light!

PBR vs Natty Lite! Discuss with maps!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »

I'm dead. 🤣🤣

Fine, will this one I found from Owsley County, Kentucky suffice?

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 07:19:02 AM »

We are at the point at which we are not getting more prosperous by making more stuff.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies