NBA vs NFL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  NBA vs NFL
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which league do you prefer
NBA

NFL

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: NBA vs NFL  (Read 975 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:13:25 PM »

Obviously NBA
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 01:20:18 PM »

Yeah, NBA, no questions asked. Even if my team (Sac Kings) is bad. I don’t like how football seems like it needs a ref’s ruling on every single play. Sure, there’s fouls in basketball, but the game is still much faster paced than football.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:25:05 PM »

the only year I would take NFL over NBA is that I would take the 2016-17 NFL season over the 2016-17 NBA season
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

NFL.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 03:28:02 PM »

Wake me up when the NBA isn't 1 or 2 team-top heavy.

Wait...you say that should be this season??? Count me in!

I love the NBA Finals, but the NBA regular season has been BRUTAL to watch ever since my dog in the fight dropped off into irrelevancy. But with how spread out the talent is looking this year, I am REALLY excited for a change (as long as no one reminds me that Jim Boylen is the Bulls head coach...).

Still, the NFL is the best league with the best regular season and best championship game.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:26:58 PM »

Wake me up when the NBA isn't 1 or 2 team-top heavy.

Wait...you say that should be this season??? Count me in!

I love the NBA Finals, but the NBA regular season has been BRUTAL to watch ever since my dog in the fight dropped off into irrelevancy. But with how spread out the talent is looking this year, I am REALLY excited for a change (as long as no one reminds me that Jim Boylen is the Bulls head coach...).

Still, the NFL is the best league with the best regular season and best championship game.

Just this past season lol as this year's playoffs was amazing in every way possible.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »

NFL, easily

I try to catch all of the 4:25 and primetime games that I can
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »

Professional football > professional basketball, but NBA>NFL
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »

I don't really like the NFL, but I at least understand how one could like it.

• There is Tom Brady.
  • There are legendary franchises with valuable brands (Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Patriots) and more than a few good second tier brands. The NBA has...the Lakers and maybe the Celtics? The second tier franchises have even more trouble with consistency.
  • The value of defense is taken seriously much more so than it is at the amateur level and is the true art of the game as opposed to an offense doing the same play 20 times a game.
  • We have three decades of Gardner Minshew outfits to look forward to.
  • Every franchise except the Jets and perhaps Bengals has a reason to believe they will be highly competitive within three years, and it isn't because 15 of them are all targeting the same free agent and/or back-to-back draft lottery wins.

That being said, I've watched more NBA in recent history because I hate GSW - not really because I find the sport interesting. If Gardner is playing playoff football, I will probably begin watching.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »

NFL, but college football is superior to both.  College basketball is also far superior to the NBA.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »

NFL, but college football is superior to both.  College basketball is also far superior to the NBA.

College football is better than the NFL but the NBA is way way better than College Basketball . The quality of play in the NBA is so much better than College that it’s not even funny.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 01:04:11 AM »

Now that the NBA is a competitive league again, the NBA.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »

NFL
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »

Easily NFL
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2019, 09:13:00 PM »

NBA; LA wil finally win one, we wont have to wait to wait anymore for Rams or Chargers. Lakers is the dominant team, but so is Justin Turner and Dodgers
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 03:03:09 AM »

Given that your favorite sport is basketball I have no idea why this choice isnt the NBA for you even though if College Basketball was in the mix would would choose College Basketball . I have no idea why you think the NBA being too talanted is too bad, that is literally what makes the game so much better than College Basketball.

An example of this is in College, I see literally all the time players in transition stop driving to the hoop the second they no longer have a wide-open lane and then immediately go back into slow set plays which result in misses. In the NBA players take it to the hoop on transition because they know the opposing defender arent properly set yet on defense which gives the offensive player the advantage on the drive  or they instead will quickly knock down a open jumper in transition as well. Going back into set plays on transition literally just gives the opposing team the time they need to get properly set on defense and as a viewer it literally slows the game down significantly as well.

The reason I know NBA players are able to do this while college players arent is because they are significantly more skilled to take advantage of any opportunity they can get which is far more exciting to watch. That makes the last 2 minutes of a close game far far better as well. In College, many players most likely would not be able to finish a drive on transition while being defended nearly to the same degree as NBA players can or  knock down open shots on the transition at the same level as the NBA.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 11:05:20 PM »

Given that your favorite sport is basketball I have no idea why this choice isnt the NBA for you even though if College Basketball was in the mix would would choose College Basketball . I have no idea why you think the NBA being too talanted is too bad, that is literally what makes the game so much better than College Basketball.

An example of this is in College, I see literally all the time players in transition stop driving to the hoop the second they no longer have a wide-open lane and then immediately go back into slow set plays which result in misses. In the NBA players take it to the hoop on transition because they know the opposing defender arent properly set yet on defense which gives the offensive player the advantage on the drive  or they instead will quickly knock down a open jumper in transition as well. Going back into set plays on transition literally just gives the opposing team the time they need to get properly set on defense and as a viewer it literally slows the game down significantly as well.

The reason I know NBA players are able to do this while college players arent is because they are significantly more skilled to take advantage of any opportunity they can get which is far more exciting to watch. That makes the last 2 minutes of a close game far far better as well. In College, many players most likely would not be able to finish a drive on transition while being defended nearly to the same degree as NBA players can or  knock down open shots on the transition at the same level as the NBA.

Oh wow lol but my favorite sport is baseball.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 01:45:37 PM »

NFL.

I actually think basketball is the more fun sport to watch, and my favorite sporting event across all sports is March Madness (love the chaos, the buzzer beaters, filling out a bracket, etc).

But the NFL is the more competitive league.  Dynasties exist in all sports, and sure, in the NFL you have the Patriots.  But even they go down (sometimes in the Super Bowl even), and every year there are a much higher number of teams that have a realistic shot to go all the way.  "Any given Sunday" is a real thing.

It has to do with the way the game is designed- football has so many more players and moving parts, that any one man can't make or break a team all by themselves (even a QB).  The constant stoppage of play (while, granted, slows down the game) also leads to sophisticated play-making, so the strategic element is much higher in football than basketball (which is more reliant on sheer athleticism and improvisation).  In football (this is more true for the NFL, not so much college), you can actually out-coach the other team to victory, even if you have inferior talent.. Joe Gibbs proved that in the 80s with his Redskins Super Bowls.  If you don't have a great team, superior management and coaching can make you a realistic playoff contender within only a couple years.

The same really isn't true in the NBA- you basically have to have a superstar to be in the discussion for the Finals, and there are only a handful of those to go around.  So before the season even begins, you can eliminate around 25 teams right off the bat from Finals contention.  On top of that, the season is way too long.  Once the playoffs begin, I do tune in and find them exciting to watch, but before that, the NBA is just not as compelling as the NFL.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 01:57:16 PM »

MLB >>>>> NFL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »

Once upon a time I might've agreed with you, but MLB has its own problems- the game has become significantly less exciting with stuff like the shift, disappearance of contact hitting and at-bats becoming either a strikeout or homer, the fact that like half the teams are deliberately tanking, and I could go on.

Not to mention that dysfunctional management has arguably the longest effects in baseball.  NFL- you can turn around a franchise with a few smart moves, drafts, and a good coach.  MLB, if your front office, farm system, etc., are in disarray, it could take 10 years to reverse that.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 02:24:52 PM »

MLB >>>>> NFL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NBA

This
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »

Once upon a time I might've agreed with you, but MLB has its own problems- the game has become significantly less exciting with stuff like the shift, disappearance of contact hitting and at-bats becoming either a strikeout or homer, the fact that like half the teams are deliberately tanking, and I could go on.

Not to mention that dysfunctional management has arguably the longest effects in baseball.  NFL- you can turn around a franchise with a few smart moves, drafts, and a good coach.  MLB, if your front office, farm system, etc., are in disarray, it could take 10 years to reverse that.

Agreed but I still find baseball more fun since I am a fan of a team at the top, but I get why NFL is in front for most. Houston and Kansas City proved what a successful wait can be worth - especially the former. But I would appreciate much more balance. I used to advocate for a salary cap, but I now may prefer a minimum salary floor. Miami is a disgrace. Baltimore is a baseball town that deserves to be great.

Unfortunately a salary floor doesn't help teams like Detroit and Anaheim - handicapped for several years by bad long term contracts. They're paying for non-talent.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »

Parity is the best thing the NFL has going for it.  The fact that your team has a semi-decent shot of winning pretty much any game it plays keeps fans tuned in.  What percentage of games come down to the final drive?  I would say over 50%.

The NBA is a joke and should be shut down.  Its basically one step above professional wrestling.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 05:51:05 PM »

LAKERS are gonna win title; whereas, Pats are all about the NFL
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon