Confessions of Atlas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:24:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Confessions of Atlas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
Author Topic: Confessions of Atlas  (Read 26443 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2023, 12:47:29 AM »

On the Wikipedia page for the Pig War, one of the alternate names given is the "Pig and Potato War." This is the result of an edit I made way back in the early days of Wikipedia, based on the source of "that's what they called it on a field trip I went on in 3rd grade, and I'm from Washington, so that's a legit source." And while I think that is a legit source, I have found no evidence that the war was called that in any other source before I made that edit. However, since I made that edit, it seems to have become a very commonly used name for the conflict.

And while that's basically the definition of harmless, it just goes to show how much influence random teens on Wikipedia can have in shaping how actual important things are studied. See also: Random dude who has completely upended all research on Scots by accidentally writing most Scots Wikipedia articles in what he thought was Scots, but that was actually just him trying to write English with a Scottish accent.

I've always thought the best way to be notable is to start an edit war/vandalize a page on Wikipedia.
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2023, 01:01:35 PM »

I watched Anime recently, why are half the people in there 10 year old girls?
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:14 AM »

Seven years ago, I set my now-wife's ex-boyfriend's car on fire.

Never since then have I indulged my flamer tendencies.

Did the gas tank explode? Did you get caught?

No. No. He got the message and moved to Cleveland to live with his mother.

Psycho.  LOL. 
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2023, 11:00:57 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2023, 11:04:58 PM by NYDem »

I have a confession to make: I think I accidentally created a deathnote that’s been killing the remaining members of the 93rd Congress.

Shortly after Joe Biden took office as our oldest president, I was curious about how many people were left in politics from his first term in congress. I made a list, and found out he was not only the last one left in politics by a wide margin, but that only 12 of his colleagues from the 93rd Senate were even alive at the inauguration. Literally the same day I made this list, Bill Brock died. Coincidence? Maybe. Then Walter Mondale died. Then Mike Gravel died. All in a couple of months. James Abourzek makes 6/12 dead in less than 2 years. I’ve considered deleting the list on multiple occasions, but worry that it would only make things worse.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2023, 11:07:49 PM »

I have a confession to make: I think I accidentally created a deathnote that’s been killing the remaining members of the 93rd Congress.

Shortly after Joe Biden took office as our oldest president, I was curious about how many people were left in politics from his first term in congress. I made a list, and found out he was not only the last one left in politics by a wide margin, but that only 12 of his colleagues from the 93rd Senate were even alive at the inauguration. Literally the same day I made this list, Bill Brock died. Coincidence? Maybe. Then Walter Mondale died. Then Mike Gravel died. All in a couple of months. James Abourzek makes 6/12 dead in less than 2 years. I’ve considered deleting the list on multiple occasions, but worry that it would only make things worse.

Biden is the earliest serving member of congress still in politics. Elizabeth Holtzman won in 1972 and tried to make a comeback last year, but failed. Chuck Grassley has a longer career though, dating to 1959 in the Iowa House of Representatives. Bernie Sanders ran unsuccessfully for congress in 1972.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies