Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:45:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129881 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: February 08, 2020, 10:28:17 PM »

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1926 on: February 08, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »

Change your avatar color immediately.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1927 on: February 08, 2020, 10:34:53 PM »

Yay UCLA! Purple heart
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1928 on: February 08, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »

Yay UCLA! Purple heart

Well although it's hard to tell from County Data alone:

Highest % of Latinos by County:

Here's a map of Latino Pop by County in IA...

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1929 on: February 09, 2020, 01:11:22 AM »

No country outside the UK thinks it's a good idea. It is more expensive and provides worse outcomes than the Nordic model. The only reason anyone would support it is because of some sad, ideological passion for nationalizing everything.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1930 on: February 09, 2020, 02:21:59 AM »
« Edited: February 09, 2020, 02:28:18 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

Um, excuse me, I was told this was just a small handful of assholes on the internet and had nothing do with the campaign?  Is that still the talking point?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1931 on: February 09, 2020, 02:50:53 AM »

Another day, another GeneralMacArthur "Why I hate Bernie" post
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1932 on: February 09, 2020, 02:58:10 AM »

Another day, another GeneralMacArthur "Why I hate Bernie" post

It's literally just a tweet.  Of an event that happened in the real world in New Hampshire.

You guys constantly criticize me for derailing threads.  This is what derailing looks like: me just posting something innocuous and you immediately launching a personal attack at me for daring to open my mouth.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1933 on: February 09, 2020, 04:56:29 AM »

Um, excuse me, I was told this was just a small handful of assholes on the internet and had nothing do with the campaign?  Is that still the talking point?

This post has big cuck energy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1934 on: February 09, 2020, 06:56:25 AM »

No country outside the UK thinks it's a good idea. It is more expensive and provides worse outcomes than the Nordic model. The only reason anyone would support it is because of some sad, ideological passion for nationalizing everything.

Then why did people in the UK literally march to save it from being privatised? Do you feel proud to be using Repiblican talking points?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1935 on: February 09, 2020, 06:57:35 AM »

You tell us to shut up on conspiracy theories, yet are directly posting a conspiracy theory.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1936 on: February 09, 2020, 07:50:26 AM »

Dave Wasserman (Cook Political) says it's probably Bernie.
Brilliant Harry Enter says it is probably Bernie (likely if he wins NH).
Nate Silver's model says it is probably Bernie.

F**k yeah, it is probably Bernie!

Plurality ≠ nominee, but no f**king way they deny Bernie nomination - may be it is a true destiny of Bernie Bros to make sure they don't.

*unless it is not like 34%, 33%, 33%.

Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #1937 on: February 09, 2020, 11:17:15 AM »

It's too early to start acting like Bernie is the favorite. It's not difficult to imagine him winning all four early states and still losing the nomination. Consider this:

IA: Bernie won, but reporting issues and media spin have buried this
NH: If Bernie only wins by a couple points (very possible), the story will be Buttigieg's surge. If Warren also beats her (low) expectations, that could hamstring Bernie
NV: Expect more reporting errors and media spin to make the caucus result seem inconclusive to the general public
SC: Bernie might win with a narrow plurality over Biden, Steyer, Buttigieg, and whoever else is still in, but will that really make him an overwhelming favorite going into Super Tuesday?

Then from Super Tuesday and beyond, he will have to go toe to toe with the Bloomberg machine. I do think Bernie will most likely win the most votes and amass the most delegates, but getting to 50%+1 before the convention will be a major challenge.
Roblox

« Reply #1938 on: February 09, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »

Democratic party officials: *Spill acid on a group of school children, accidentally knock a bookshelf onto a fish tank, spilled water comes into contact with loose wire and electrocutes everyone*

Bernie Sanders: That was quite incompetent on their part. They really screwed up.

#Resistance twitter folk: I'm tired of Sanders running against the party! He likes fish tanks, so he's responsible for this disaster! What a piece of trash.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1939 on: February 09, 2020, 01:07:05 PM »

You tell us to shut up on conspiracy theories, yet are directly posting a conspiracy theory.

This isn't a "conspiracy theory."  It's something that someone directly saw.  Watching members of the campaign lead chants is not open to interpretation.

You may think she's making it up, but this is something Sanders organizers also did in 2016.  Little has changed.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1940 on: February 09, 2020, 03:48:00 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2020, 04:31:28 PM by YE »

Um, excuse me, I was told this was just a small handful of assholes on the internet and had nothing do with the campaign?  Is that still the talking point?

This isn't a "conspiracy theory."  It's something that someone directly saw.  Watching members of the campaign lead chants is not open to interpretation.

You may think she's making it up, but this is something Sanders organizers also did in 2016.  Little has changed.

No, it is a conspiracy theory with no evidence to prove that the campaign headquarters ordered it.

Either prove that the campaign hq ordered it, never, ever call us comspiracy theorists again.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1941 on: February 09, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »

This one was even better. Warren supporters even joined in. #Unity

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1942 on: February 09, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »

This isn't a "conspiracy theory."  It's something that someone directly saw.  Watching members of the campaign lead chants is not open to interpretation.

You may think she's making it up, but this is something Sanders organizers also did in 2016.  Little has changed.

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1943 on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:06 PM »

Plurality ≠ nominee, but no f**king way they deny Bernie nomination - may be it is a true destiny of Bernie Bros to make sure they don't.

As long as Bernie has <50%, the rest of the party will fight him tooth and nail to ensure he doesn't win the nomination.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1944 on: February 09, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »

Sorry Bernie Bros, but right now Buttigieg is winning in Iowa. The only thing that matters for the caucus is the SDE's.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1945 on: February 09, 2020, 04:56:56 PM »

Basic questions about Sanders have been asked and gone unanswered since 2016.  You can plug your ears and say "screw the haters, screw the whiners, they're all losers, especially MacArthur, la la la la la" but that won't change reality.  Which is why he's lost more than half of the support he had in 2016.

There's still no good answer to how he would pass his policies.

There's still no good answer to how he would pay for his policies.

There's still no good answer for why he wouldn't be the most suicidal nominee since 1972.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1946 on: February 09, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »

Basic questions about Sanders have been asked and gone unanswered since 2016.  You can plug your ears and say "screw the haters, screw the whiners, they're all losers, especially MacArthur, la la la la la" but that won't change reality.  Which is why he's lost more than half of the support he had in 2016.

There's still no good answer for why he wouldn't be the most suicidal nominee since 1972.
He doesn't have an answer for the first and last question
For the 2nd one he will "raise taxes"
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1947 on: February 09, 2020, 05:03:46 PM »

When will you stop attacking Bernie and turn your attention to Trump? Biden is done. At this point by attacking the nominee, you are only helping Trump. You say that you are a Democrat, so why don't you support the inevitable nominee, and encourage other Democrats to do likewise? The longer you delay transitioning to the General, the more you sabotage the party and sow the seeds of discord, disunity, and defeatism for the fall campaign.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1948 on: February 09, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2020, 06:25:49 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Basic questions about Sanders have been asked and gone unanswered since 2016.  You can plug your ears and say "screw the haters, screw the whiners, they're all losers, especially MacArthur, la la la la la" but that won't change reality.  Which is why he's lost more than half of the support he had in 2016.

He doesn't have an answer for the first and last question
For the 2nd one he will "raise taxes"

I feel like too many people, especially young people, just have no context for the numbers they hear, no understanding of scale.  So they hear that M4A will cost $32T over ten years, but "we can pay for it by raising taxes on the rich" and say oh ok that works.

I mean, here are some basic numbers.  I know we live in a post-truth world but I don't think anyone can seriously dispute them.

Some basic tentpoles of Bernie Sanders plans:
  • Medicare for all:  $34T over ten years in new federal spending according to the Urban Institute
  • Climate plan:  $16.3T over 15 years according to his website, so about $11T over ten years
  • Federal job guarantee:  $840B/yr according to Paul et al., or $8.4T/10yr
  • Free college + forgive student debt:  $2.9T/10yr according to his website.  Since not all students will go to public colleges, student debt from private colleges will pile up and presumably be forgiven recurrently.
  • Affordable housing plan:  $2.5T/10yr according to his website.

So that's just five policies and you're already at $64.1T, using generous estimates from his website or friendly institutions (actually costs of M4A, for instance, would be far higher since you can't pay doctors the Medicare rate).  And literally every Sanders policy is like this.  Something people need but don't have?  Make it free for everyone.  Something we don't have enough of?  Have the government provide enough for everyone.  Just keep throwing money at problems until they go away.  And this is all new federal spending -- he's adding this onto the existing budget.

Now let's put that $64.1T in perspective.

Price (trillions)Item
0.08Goldman Sachs market cap
0.13Jeff Bezos' net worth
0.2310Y profit estimate for health insurance industry
0.31Total cost of U.S. space program since JFK's "moonshot" speech (2020 dollars)
0.70Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008
0.74Total cost of U.S. involvement in Vietnam (2020 dollars)
0.83American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
1.07Total value of all real estate in New York City
1.40Apple market cap (most valuable company in the world)
1.5010Y cost of Buttigieg's Medicare For All Who Want It
1.76Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (updated 2012)
1.90Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2018
2.40Total cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars (CBO)
4.68Total cost of U.S. involvement in World War II (2020 dollars)
6.83U.S. military spending (last 10Y)
9.00Total net worth of every billionaire in the world
22.60Combined value of all 500 companies on the Fortune 500 list
23.27U.S. national debt
29.50Total net worth of the top 1% of wealthiest Americans
34.0010Y cost of Bernie Sanders' Medicare For All
38.10U.S. Federal Budget (last 10Y)
64.10Partial 10Y cost of Sanders' agenda (plans selected above)
98.00Total net worth of all households in the United States
107.10U.S. Federal Budget over next ten years with current spending + Sanders plans
172.00U.S. Real GDP (last 10Y)

(this was really fun to make)

I get it, you can't expect politicians to pay for their plans.  Every politician since Washington has come out with expensive-sounding proposals, made generous assumptions in their math, and hand-waved it away with "oh we'll just raise taxes on people who aren't you."

But the scale is completely different.  The Republicans hand-waved away about $2T in their tax plan.  Hillary Clinton was proposing about $2.5T over ten years in new spending.  Biden and Buttigieg are proposing 3-4T.  Sanders is proposing 20-30 times that much.  And this isn't something he can compromise on.  He can't just go from $64T down to $3T without erasing essentially his entire agenda.

How's he going to pay for it?  He says he'll raise taxes on the wealthy and cut down on military spending.  That's like trying to lease a Lamborghini by clipping grocery coupons.  You could literally make all the groceries free and it'd pay for maybe 5% of the Lambo.  Similarly, you could eliminate the entire military and confiscate the entire net worth of the 1% and you've paid for about half of Sanders' agenda.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1949 on: February 09, 2020, 07:17:38 PM »

The federal government will convert your ability to write infinitely to currency. The United States will become the most prosperous nation in the world thanks to your posts on US Election Atlas forum, and Bernie Sanders will save the world. Thank you for your future service.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies