Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:58:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129848 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: February 05, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »

"A group of prominent Upstate Republicans is preparing to launch a wide-scale effort this week to encourage GOP voters across South Carolina to vote for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Feb. 29 Democratic primary, The Post and Courier has learned.

The Republican plan to impact the Democratic race, emerging just weeks before the “First in the South” primary, has two goals: Boost the candidate who the Republicans believe presents the weakest general election threat to President Donald Trump and pressure Democrats to support closing state primaries in the future.

South Carolina has open primaries, meaning voters do not have to register by party and can participate in either party’s contest. But some conservative activists have long pushed to change that, arguing it would ensure a more pure party process, and they are hoping this effort will win over Democrats to that cause."

Republicans are so terrified of Bernie Sanders, you guys.

Of course, Hillary Clinton also wanted Trump has her opponent, and she only beat him by 3 million votes, so obviously any time any party wants to run against a particular candidate it means that candidate will win.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1851 on: February 05, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »

"A group of prominent Upstate Republicans is preparing to launch a wide-scale effort this week to encourage GOP voters across South Carolina to vote for U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders in the Feb. 29 Democratic primary, The Post and Courier has learned.

The Republican plan to impact the Democratic race, emerging just weeks before the “First in the South” primary, has two goals: Boost the candidate who the Republicans believe presents the weakest general election threat to President Donald Trump and pressure Democrats to support closing state primaries in the future.

South Carolina has open primaries, meaning voters do not have to register by party and can participate in either party’s contest. But some conservative activists have long pushed to change that, arguing it would ensure a more pure party process, and they are hoping this effort will win over Democrats to that cause."

Of course, Hillary Clinton also wanted Trump has her opponent, and she only beat him by 3 million votes, so obviously any time any party wants to run against a particular candidate it means that candidate will win.

Blast from the past:

Rush Limbaugh urges vote for Obama

5/7/2008

Talk radio host says he wants Barack Obama to get Democratic nomination. Limbaugh: "He would be the weakest" of the Democratic nominees

"I now believe he would be the weakest of the Democrat nominees," Limbaugh, among the most powerful voices in conservative radio, said on his program. "I now urge the Democrat superdelegates to make your mind up and publicly go for Obama."

"Barack Obama has shown he cannot get the votes Democrats need to win -- blue-collar, working-class people," Limbaugh said. "He can get effete snobs, he can get wealthy academics, he can get the young, and he can get the black vote, but Democrats do not win with that."
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1852 on: February 05, 2020, 03:20:07 PM »

Republicans better be careful what they wish for...If Bernie gets in he legalizes Marijuana and reigns in the war machine, two issues with majority support. He could also try lowering the Medicare eligibility age to 0 via EO but I don't know whether that holds up in the courts. But it would be the elitist Supreme Court that stopped Medicare for all, and not infighting among Democrats. Bernie will ensure the young base doesn't become apathetic like they did under Obama.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1853 on: February 05, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »

Let's have some more fun with this. Did you know that the overwhelming elite wanted Carter to go up against Reagan? They thought he'd be easy to beat because Reagan was a right wing extremist who campaigned for spooky man Barry Goldwater

TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1854 on: February 05, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »

I just read the first page of this thread and I didn’t realize that MacAulrthurbhas been going psychotic on Bernie for months on end. For some reason I thought that was recent
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1855 on: February 05, 2020, 04:53:37 PM »

Bernie will ensure the young base doesn't become apathetic like they did under Obama.
LMAO. Please. He couldn’t even top 2016’s IA caucus turnout let alone Obama’s 2008 performance. Sanders can’t sit with Obama on his WORST day.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1856 on: February 05, 2020, 05:05:46 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2020, 05:10:21 PM by Sbane »

Bernie will ensure the young base doesn't become apathetic like they did under Obama.
LMAO. Please. He couldn’t even top 2016’s IA caucus turnout let alone Obama’s 2008 performance. Sanders can’t sit with Obama on his WORST day.

My statement was assuming a Bernie general election win. That is a big assumption to make at this stage. I just think he has a better shot at winning it than Biden and probably Buttigieg. Maybe Klobuchar is the most electable at this point and perhaps Bloomberg. Klobuchar isn't winning the primary though, and if Bloomberg buys the nomination the left stays home and he loses. Only scenario where Bloomberg is a viable general election candidate is if he gets more people voting for him than Bernie and has at least a plurality of delegates. If Bernie has the plurality but Bloomberg gets the nomination....say hello to four more years of Trump.

And if a Democrat does win in 2020, they need to be able to get sh**t done or they will be replaced in 2024. People want someone who gets things done. That is one thing I like about Bloomberg. He understands what people want.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1857 on: February 05, 2020, 05:07:59 PM »

Tactically, Iowa was a good result for Bernie. Since New Hampshire doesn't like to follow Iowa historically (with the notable exception of 2004, when media mockery of the so-called "Dean scream" damaged Dean as badly as the results themselves did -- it's remarkable in retrospect that he was seen as this wild-eyed extremist), losing Iowa by 1 point while winning the final round allocation was probably the best possible outcome for him. The winner is nationally the lowest polling and with the biggest problems with POC; and his biggest real threat, Biden, collapsed.

However, more broadly there are some warning signs for Bernie. Despite his argument for a movement to bring new people into the system, and massive organizing efforts to that end, turnout looks to be about the same as 2016. Further, Sanders' support is concentrated in more liberal urban areas, suggesting his coalition would not look that different from Hillary Clinton's.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #1858 on: February 05, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »

1960: Lyndon Johnson - Don't vote for JFK, he's young, has Addisons and he's Irish and Catholic!
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1859 on: February 05, 2020, 05:37:44 PM »

Not a fan at all but looking at it from a horserace perspective Bernie is in great shape after this. He'll finish at worst a strong 2nd in Iowa and could win and will win NH. Biden is done after this performance. I don't see how Bernie can't be called the frontrunner now.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1860 on: February 05, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »

Fpur leading candidates in 2020 vs. 2 in 2008
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #1861 on: February 05, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »

The more I watch of the State of the Union, the more tempted I am to jump on Bernie’s bandwagon. We don’t need a return to normalcy, we need a Democratic Trump who will trigger the right with incendiary red meat. The pendulum swings equally as far in the opposite direction. I’m tired of getting treated like Germany after WWI.

Triggering the right is literally the only thing Sanders would accomplish since his agenda is a big joke that has a 0% chance of getting done.

It's a choice between actually wanting to change stuff, or just wanting to trigger the right by going as extreme as possible.

The pendulum wouldn't swing at all since he wouldn't do anything.
The only reason that you think he couldn't change anything is that you (like most of your ilk) are just unimaginative.

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/02/wielding-the-imperial-presidency

You can whine about it being Jacobin all you want, but those are real ideas.

What has Sanders been able to accomplish in Congress?

Nothing. But that’s the thing—no one would. Bernie will at least make EO’s while Biden will sit and let McConnell steal his lunch money and then proceed and try to Neville Chamberlain himself with Republicans

Trump completely reformed the Republican Party
Bernie would do the same thing to the Democratic Party.

There is absolutely no evidence of that. Liberals don't want that. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the thinking of a Progressive is closer to the thinking of a White Supremacist than a Liberal. Liberals are individualists while Progressives are racist collectivists just like White Supremacists, only Progressives push an anti-White agenda instead of a pro-White agenda.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1862 on: February 05, 2020, 06:06:58 PM »

The more I watch of the State of the Union, the more tempted I am to jump on Bernie’s bandwagon. We don’t need a return to normalcy, we need a Democratic Trump who will trigger the right with incendiary red meat. The pendulum swings equally as far in the opposite direction. I’m tired of getting treated like Germany after WWI.

Triggering the right is literally the only thing Sanders would accomplish since his agenda is a big joke that has a 0% chance of getting done.

It's a choice between actually wanting to change stuff, or just wanting to trigger the right by going as extreme as possible.

The only reason that you think he couldn't change anything is that you (like most of your ilk) are just unimaginative.

Nothing. But that’s the thing—no one would. Bernie will at least make EO’s while Biden will sit and let McConnell steal his lunch money and then proceed and try to Neville Chamberlain himself with Republicans

Trump completely reformed the Republican Party
Bernie would do the same thing to the Democratic Party.

There is absolutely no evidence of that. Liberals don't want that. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the thinking of a Progressive is closer to the thinking of a White Supremacist than a Liberal. Liberals are individualists while Progressives are racist collectivists just like White Supremacists, only Progressives push an anti-White agenda instead of a pro-White agenda.
You're an absolute idiot if you think this is the case. This post reeks of insecurity and lack of political knowledge.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #1863 on: February 05, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »

Trump completely reformed the Republican Party, is building a wall, passed criminal justice reform, got out of the TPP, NAFTA, PCA among other agreements, put tariffs on many countries and has done other things the Republican establishment historically never would've accepted.

Is that supposed to challenge my point in some relevant way?

It shows that Trump has been able to reform the Republican establishment, mostly by himself. Sanders has not been able to despite being in Congress for an extended period of time.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1864 on: February 05, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »

Trump completely reformed the Republican Party, is building a wall, passed criminal justice reform, got out of the TPP, NAFTA, PCA among other agreements, put tariffs on many countries and has done other things the Republican establishment historically never would've accepted.

It shows that Trump has been able to reform the Republican establishment, mostly by himself. Sanders has not been able to despite being in Congress for an extended period of time.
Yeah... it stands to reason that it's much easier for a f**king President to transform a party than for a congressman/Senator to.
atheist4thecause
United States

« Reply #1865 on: February 05, 2020, 06:24:31 PM »

Yeah... it stands to reason that it's much easier for a f**king President to transform a party than for a congressman/Senator to.

First of all, that's looking at the middle of the situation because President Trump had to get elected first. Once he did despite the wishes of the Republican Establishment (which is something Bernie hasn't been able to do among the Democrats), he then had to convince the entire Republican establishment to get on board with his entirely new set of agendas. We're talking about a drastic and transformational shift where they not only shift on policies but also demographics.

Second of all, I don't agree that it's easier for a President, at least not coming from no political experience. Sanders should have been able to build strong coalitions in Congress by now. He should be able to use those coalitions to change the Democratic Party. Then as the Democratic Establishment changes, he could run for President, win, and implement his agenda from the office of the Presidency. Sanders hasn't been able to do any of that. He couldn't even get Elizabeth Warren on board last cycle, and now she is attacking him as a sexist this time around, which is more than mere intra-party disagreement during a nomination cycle. Rarely do you see personal attacks like that in the nomination process.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1866 on: February 05, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »

Can we stop calling him Bernie and start calling him Bernard. It sounds much cooler tbh
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1867 on: February 05, 2020, 09:23:46 PM »

Republicans better be careful what they wish for...If Bernie gets in he legalizes Marijuana and reigns in the war machine, two issues with majority support. He could also try lowering the Medicare eligibility age to 0 via EO but I don't know whether that holds up in the courts. But it would be the elitist Supreme Court that stopped Medicare for all, and not infighting among Democrats. Bernie will ensure the young base doesn't become apathetic like they did under Obama.

I don't think its that Republicans want to face Bernie specifically. It's just that Republicans would love to do to the Democrats what the UK Conservatives have done to Labor. It's their best shot at staying in power, really - to get the rest of us so angry that our fellows are "too socialist" or "too capitalist"  that we let the GOP squat in DC and statehouses nationwide, running their criminal cult to abuse and exploit the entire nation until its a wreck.

Don't fall for Republican scams. Vote Blue, no matter who. Argue and campaign over the nomination and the platform all you want. Just remember that the real job, the most important job of the next nominee, possibly the most important job of any nominee in the long history of our Republic, is to get the criminal, treasonous cult known as the modern Republican Party out of power, and keep them out of power until they all die of natural causes.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1868 on: February 05, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »

I am tired of Bernie's same 'ol same 'ol. He's old and boring, and he doesn't appeal to a wide swath of voters.

That socialism thing is a deal killer for most of America, in my view.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1869 on: February 05, 2020, 10:57:28 PM »

I am tired of Bernie's same 'ol same 'ol. He's old and boring, and he doesn't appeal to a wide swath of voters.

Out of curiosity, who do you support?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1870 on: February 05, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »

I am tired of Bernie's same 'ol same 'ol. He's old and boring

Some of us think politics isn't just entertainment. Crazy I know.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1871 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:17 PM »

Didn't kill Obama. Nor did racism Trump.

You're smarter than this.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1872 on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:50 PM »

I am tired of Bernie's same 'ol same 'ol.

Yeah, I hate politicians who just keep repeating the same mantras and beliefs for 40+ years. I prefer candidates who change their opinions every news cycle, like Hillary Clinton.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1873 on: February 05, 2020, 11:58:05 PM »

So glad that people with this mindset will be politically irrelevant in 10 years.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1874 on: February 06, 2020, 12:50:17 AM »

I am tired of Bernie's same 'ol same 'ol.

Yeah, I hate politicians who just keep repeating the same mantras and beliefs for 40+ years. I prefer candidates who change their opinions every news cycle, like Hillary Clinton.
*cough* Kamala *cough*
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies