Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 11:48:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 130057 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:18 PM »

I believe your colleague from Washington has already said he'll do the same. Lord knows this Warren spat gives me a hell of a lot more appreciation for Biden. At the end of the day, he's a good man, and that's a hell of a lot more I can say about him than Warren.

Biden is most certainly not a good man.

This whole ordeal may have had me lose some respect for Warren, but let's not pretend that it somehow raises Biden above her in any respect.

Biden is genuinely one of the best people in politics.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1101 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »

Meanwhile Bernie was a deadbeat who didn’t work while the mother of his child lived on welfare.

A mess.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1102 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:05 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2020, 11:11:15 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

Oh ffs I am giving Sanders a chance. If he acts like how I fear he will act, I will vote for a GOP senator and/or representative to make sure there’s a check on a madman. If Sanders doesn’t try to break Democratic norms in the ways I fear, I will gladly vote blue.

I don't think Sanders could possibly break Democratic norms more than Trump has.  And I don't think Sanders + a Dem Senate could possibly break Democratic norms more than McConnell has.

He's given no indication that he's interested in doing that.  He even rejects the idea of using the nuclear option to pass his agenda.

Sanders has many problems but being an anti-Democratic, un-constitutional tyrant isn't one of them.  If anything, it's the opposite.  He's destined to be a totally weak and ineffective president because he has no interest in the detailed analysis and deal-making required to actually pass legislation.  Trump, for all his faults, has been able to accompany his wild, norm-shattering regime with a deft ear for what the Republican Party wants and an ability to merge his agenda with the mainstream of the GOP-controlled Congress, which is why they've empowered him to go as far as he has.
Well I hope you’re right. Maybe Trump has scared me too much, but I am still concerned that Sanders is intentionally acting like he doesn’t know the details (kinda like Trump in 2016) and has some Trump-esque plans to force his legislation. Regardless I’m voting Sanders and straight blue in 2020 if he gets the nomination anyways.

What has Trump even gotten done?  The only really horrible policy he actually succeeded at was the immigration ban, and that was written by Bannon+Miller.
  • He campaigned on building a wall and making Mexico pay for it.  He ended up shutting down the government for a month to force Congress to pay for the wall, and it failed.
  • He campaigned on repealing Obamacare.  The only thing he was able to repeal was the individual mandate, which was the only unpopular part, and now Obamacare is extremely popular.
  • He had all these kooky ideas about the economy, but at the end of the day he just signed a tax cut bill that Paul Ryan wrote, replaced Yellen with another well-respected econ lifer, and otherwise left the Obama economy untouched.
  • He promised to bring back jobs from overseas, but we're still losing jobs at the same rate, and in the meantime he's been hammering farmers and rust belt workers with high tariffs that are universally condemned.
  • He promised to stop illegal immigration, but instead all he's done is put out policies to be cruel to people and scare them into not coming, and it's failed as illegal immigration is higher now than it was under Obama.
  • He said he had a secret plan to beat ISIS, but instead just sat back and let the Kurds beat ISIS for him, then stabbed them in the back and withdrew from Iraq and Syria, and now ISIS is resurgent.
  • He campaigned on tearing up the Iran nuclear deal, but now that Iran is moving towards nukes again he wants a new nuclear deal.
Trump has hardly been a nefarious mastermind.  He's just been stumbling from failure to failure while occasionally taking credit for other people's major policy successes that he had nothing to do with.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1103 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:17 PM »

I believe your colleague from Washington has already said he'll do the same. Lord knows this Warren spat gives me a hell of a lot more appreciation for Biden. At the end of the day, he's a good man, and that's a hell of a lot more I can say about him than Warren.

This whole ordeal may have had me lose some respect for Warren, but let's not pretend that it somehow raises Biden above her in any respect.

snip

I know you're like his surrogate here, but it's genuinely tiring to see such a blatantly untrue statement.
oraclebones
Rookie
« Reply #1104 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »

I'll never be able to get over the fact that Biden bragged about the 1994 crime bill and how it created 60 new death penalty-eligible crimes and 125,000 new prison cells--prison cells which were intended to further fuel mass imprisonment of black and Latino communities.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1105 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:31 PM »

Oh ffs I am giving Sanders a chance. If he acts like how I fear he will act, I will vote for a GOP senator and/or representative to make sure there’s a check on a madman. If Sanders doesn’t try to break Democratic norms in the ways I fear, I will gladly vote blue.

I don't think Sanders could possibly break Democratic norms more than Trump has.  And I don't think Sanders + a Dem Senate could possibly break Democratic norms more than McConnell has.

He's given no indication that he's interested in doing that.  He even rejects the idea of using the nuclear option to pass his agenda.

Sanders has many problems but being an anti-Democratic, un-constitutional tyrant isn't one of them.  If anything, it's the opposite.  He's destined to be a totally weak and ineffective president because he has no interest in the detailed analysis and deal-making required to actually pass legislation.  Trump, for all his faults, has been able to accompany his wild, norm-shattering regime with a deft ear for what the Republican Party wants and an ability to merge his agenda with the mainstream of the GOP-controlled Congress, which is why they've empowered him to go as far as he has.
Well I hope you’re right. Maybe Trump has scared me too much, but I am still concerned that Sanders is intentionally acting like he doesn’t know the details (kinda like Trump in 2016) and has some Trump-esque plans to force his legislation. Regardless I’m voting Sanders and straight blue in 2020 if he gets the nomination anyways.

What has Trump even gotten done?  The only really horrible policy he actually succeeded at was the immigration ban, and that was written by Bannon+Miller.  The wall failed.  The Obamacare repeal failed.  He had all these kooky ideas about the economy but at the end of the day he just signed a tax cut bill that Paul Ryan wrote, replaced Yellen with another well-respected econ lifer, and otherwise left the Obama economy untouched.  His tariffs have all failed as we're still losing jobs overseas.  His immigration policies failed as illegal immigration is higher now than it was under the Obama administration.  The Kurds beat ISIS for him and he shanked them in the back and cleared out of Iraq and Syria so ISIS could come back.

Trump has hardly been a nefarious mastermind.  He's just been stumbling from failure to failure while occasionally taking credit for other people's major policy successes that he had nothing to do with.
Well he has repeatedly abused his power while in office and has broken several precedents. He’s screwed this country up and has set our future generations for fiscal failure and has begun the process of isolating us from the World. None of it is good, but he did technically get all those things done and abused power on the way.

More importantly, the genius in him is his people skills. Like it or not, but he hijacked one of the two major political parties of the US and has created a cult with millions of members. He could do anything and millions will still give him credit for it. He has basically crushed any GOP resistance (not that they were doing much anyways) and has effectively changed US politics for at least decades, if not longer. Trump isn’t conventionally smart, but he knows what he is doing and is extremely manipulative.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1106 on: January 15, 2020, 11:13:52 PM »

snip

I know you're like his surrogate here, but it's genuinely tiring to see such a blatantly untrue statement.

This is a belief that was widely held by people in both parties prior to the election.  Everyone loved Joe.

What, cause he was mean to Anita Hill thirty years ago you're now going to claim he's some awful guy?  Get outta here, Jack.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1107 on: January 16, 2020, 12:19:07 AM »

snip

This is a belief that was widely held by people in both parties prior to the election.  Everyone loved Joe.

What, cause he was mean to Anita Hill thirty years ago you're now going to claim he's some awful guy?  Get outta here, Jack.

I question the judgement of anyone who voted for the Iraq War.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1108 on: January 16, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »

Proud Trump supporter here (in case any of you might not be aware). I'm thinking of voting for Bernie in the New York primary to #StickItToTheEstablishment. Should I?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1109 on: January 16, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »

Proud Trump supporter here (in case any of you might not be aware). I'm thinking of voting for Bernie in the New York primary to #StickItToTheEstablishment. Should I?

Absolutely. I'll give you a high-five as an added bonus if you do.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1110 on: January 16, 2020, 01:01:29 AM »

Thank you. Wanna hang out if I ever visit Seattle this year?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1111 on: January 16, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »

Sure
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1112 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:46 AM »

Anywhere from 7-10% of Democratic presidential primary voters this year are projected to be Trump 2016 voters, so what's one more?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1113 on: January 16, 2020, 02:23:12 AM »

East Coasters never come out West unless they got family or good friends out here, or at looking at "exotic locations"....

Would invite you down to my neck of the woods, but extremely doubt a "City Slicker" would take me up on it....  (Although got family in PDX, Seattle, LA, and London)

Would def buy you a few beers and some food at a restaurant, but you would need to cover your own accommodations (Apartment living isn't conducive to house guests and cooking outside of family)....

Could certainly provide recommendations as to where to visit, but in my neck of the woods (not Metro PDX nor Metro Eugene-Springfield HRC still got beat by huge margins by Sanders in '16)....

Can show you some of the Shutdown Timber and Pulp Mills, Tech Industry jobs lost, the clear-cutting and destruction of our forests.

Oregon has historically had one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation every time America goes through a Recession....

Needless to say the hipsters, and those that recovered from the Great Recession in Metro PDX that are invading Oregon don't have any empathy for the suffering of Oregonians downstate....

It's more like the "No Hope... No Future" generation from I-5 in Salem all the way down until you start to hit the retiree communities in the Rogue River Valley where once again locals can't afford to live because "Oregon is so cool"....

Screw that....gentrification is real, and although Metro PDX shifts Left and Downstate OR shifts Right, I can be a tour guide to give a different perspective from the glittery urban images from a high rise hotel room in Seattle or Portland, and show you the dirty under-belly of the beast..

This is exactly the part of Oregon where there were significant swings towards Trump in '16 compared to '12 Romney (Even adjusting in some communities for 3rd Party voters)....

Thing is downstate Bernie and Trump voters still hunt together, work in the same factories, hospitals, and government agencies, have family members from different perspectives....

Anyways... can likely give you a better deal than Xing if you really are interested in a compare/contrast of the Pacific Northwest politically and culturally speaking....
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1114 on: January 16, 2020, 04:48:13 AM »

Are you a registered Democrat?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1115 on: January 16, 2020, 06:20:48 AM »

Yes. I will do the same in Wisconsin.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1116 on: January 16, 2020, 12:08:54 PM »

Seems New Yorkers never actually come out here, but sure. Tongue
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1117 on: January 16, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »

Bernie Sanders is getting a lot of support from Trump circles lately.  First it was Kevin McCarthy and Donald Trump echoing the Bernie Bro accusation that Pelosi impeaching Trump is a conspiracy to hurt Sanders.

Now Trump, Trump Jr., and Tucker Carlson are all joining in on the Bernie Bro crusade against CNN, with all three declaring the debate "rigged" against Sanders and part of a broader Democratic Party conspiracy to deny him the nomination.

Maybe I was wrong about Sanders all along, based on the last 48 hours it seems he is capable of building a bipartisan coalition... just so long as the goal is to promote outlandish conspiracy theories and attack the Democratic Party.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1118 on: January 16, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »

How on earth does anyone support Bernie??

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1119 on: January 16, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »

Please do!
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #1120 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »

If you are a liberal, if you are a progressive, if you are anyone to the left of Donald J. Trump, it is your responsibility to grit your teeth and vote for Sanders in the GE in 2020, in the disastrous event that he is actually at the top of our ticket.  The threat Trump imposes on this country is too great to let your desire to be morally pure take the high ground.
Not buying it.

I have every reason to believe that you'll vote for Trump if Sanders is the nominee. On the rare occasions when you attack Trump instead of the left, it's not because of the draconian domestic policies that are ruining people's lives on a daily basis. You criticize him because he's a Russian puppet or whatever (which is, of course, purely a figment of the #Resistance's imagination).
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1121 on: January 16, 2020, 02:04:21 PM »

Bernie Sanders is getting a lot of support from Trump circles lately.  First it was Kevin McCarthy and Donald Trump echoing the Bernie Bro accusation that Pelosi impeaching Trump is a conspiracy to hurt Sanders.

Now Trump, Trump Jr., and Tucker Carlson are all joining in on the Bernie Bro crusade against CNN, with all three declaring the debate "rigged" against Sanders and part of a broader Democratic Party conspiracy to deny him the nomination.

Maybe I was wrong about Sanders all along, based on the last 48 hours it seems he is capable of building a bipartisan coalition... just so long as the goal is to promote outlandish conspiracy theories and attack the Democratic Party.

Yes, because it was rigged. While the moderators provided a contentious atmosphere, it crossed the line into openly calling BS in the debate stage, reporting hearsay as facts, and starting conflicts for money. To put it as plainly as I can, CNN is fake news, meant to back the current establishment and boost their bottom line.

Sure, the Trumpists may agree with us, but we're also not the one defending false charges of sexism with actual sexism, so we have that going for us.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1122 on: January 16, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »

There was some bias against Bernie regarding debate question phrasing, even I could see it. But it’s hard to take it seriously for those who aren’t observant because Bernie Supporters have been crying wolf for months.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1123 on: January 16, 2020, 02:11:48 PM »

How on earth does anyone support Bernie??

LOL. Biden voted against it too.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1124 on: January 16, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2020, 02:17:14 PM by Forumlurker161 »

Yes, because it was rigged. While the moderators provided a contentious atmosphere, it crossed the line into openly calling BS in the debate stage, reporting hearsay as facts, and starting conflicts for money. To put it as plainly as I can, CNN is fake news, meant to back the current establishment and boost their bottom line.

Sure, the Trumpists may agree with us, but we're also not the one defending false charges of sexism with actual sexism, so we have that going for us.
God I sometimes wish CNN would actually spread fake news about Bernie just to show you people what fake news is. Criticism of your candidate isn’t fake news.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies