Trump's New Math: Inside the Plan to Flip Blue States in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:35:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump's New Math: Inside the Plan to Flip Blue States in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump's New Math: Inside the Plan to Flip Blue States in 2020  (Read 1635 times)
Barack Oganja

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »

Nonetheless, Trump’s campaign is betting it can win in New Mexico. Flush with cash, the campaign is planning to announce a state director and additional ground staff there in the coming weeks, a campaign official tells TIME. Internal campaign data has convinced Trump’s political advisors they can energize a slice of the state’s Hispanic voters to vote for Trump in 2020 by emphasizing Trump’s handling of the economy, border security and his trade confrontation with China. According to U.S. Census data, 49.1 percent of New Mexico’s residents identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino.

The move is part of a series of bets Trump is making to win states that went for Clinton in 2016. Trump’s son-in-law and senior White House advisor Jared Kushner says that voter data has convinced the reelection effort to fund robust field operations in a much larger number of states than in 2016. “I can see us very aggressively playing in 18 swing states,” Jared Kushner tells TIME, adding that in his view, the 2016 Trump campaign “seriously played” in about 11 swing states.

Not all the blue states are long shots like New Mexico. While the GOP hasn’t won Minnesota since Richard Nixon took the state during his landslide victory in 1972, Trump lost to Clinton there in 2016 by a slim 1.5 percentage points. The Trump campaign hired a full-time state director in June and saw an uptick in Republican voter registrations in recent months.

The Trump campaign is also building out substantial ground operations in New Hampshire, where Trump lost by less than 1%, and Nevada, where Trump trailed Clinton by 2.4%. In both states, Trump was on the ticket with Senate candidates, Kelly Ayotte in New Hampshire and Joe Heck in Nevada, who distanced themselves from Trump. The Trump campaign and the RNC have told local party officials in those states they hope more unified support for Trump could help increase Republican turnout and tip those states for Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-new-math-inside-the-plan-to-flip-blue-states-in-2020/ar-AAH1IzQ?li=BBnb7Kz

Good or bad strategy?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »

Nonetheless, Trump’s campaign is betting it can win in New Mexico. Flush with cash, the campaign is planning to announce a state director and additional ground staff there in the coming weeks, a campaign official tells TIME. Internal campaign data has convinced Trump’s political advisors they can energize a slice of the state’s Hispanic voters to vote for Trump in 2020 by emphasizing Trump’s handling of the economy, border security and his trade confrontation with China. According to U.S. Census data, 49.1 percent of New Mexico’s residents identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino.

The move is part of a series of bets Trump is making to win states that went for Clinton in 2016. Trump’s son-in-law and senior White House advisor Jared Kushner says that voter data has convinced the reelection effort to fund robust field operations in a much larger number of states than in 2016. “I can see us very aggressively playing in 18 swing states,” Jared Kushner tells TIME, adding that in his view, the 2016 Trump campaign “seriously played” in about 11 swing states.

Not all the blue states are long shots like New Mexico. While the GOP hasn’t won Minnesota since Richard Nixon took the state during his landslide victory in 1972, Trump lost to Clinton there in 2016 by a slim 1.5 percentage points. The Trump campaign hired a full-time state director in June and saw an uptick in Republican voter registrations in recent months.

The Trump campaign is also building out substantial ground operations in New Hampshire, where Trump lost by less than 1%, and Nevada, where Trump trailed Clinton by 2.4%. In both states, Trump was on the ticket with Senate candidates, Kelly Ayotte in New Hampshire and Joe Heck in Nevada, who distanced themselves from Trump. The Trump campaign and the RNC have told local party officials in those states they hope more unified support for Trump could help increase Republican turnout and tip those states for Trump.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trumps-new-math-inside-the-plan-to-flip-blue-states-in-2020/ar-AAH1IzQ?li=BBnb7Kz

Good or bad strategy?

I think it's unlikely to succeed, but it's a good strategy to maximize the chances of victory by expanding the playing field to those states where there's at least a small chance of success.  It's not like they're trying for California or New York.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »

He flipped Pennsylvania and Michigan, which hadn't gone Republican since 1988, and Wisconsin, which hadn't gone Republican since 1984. I think the answer is obvious - why not? It should be obvious that Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Nevada are winnable.

Trump is an unorthodox genius who really knows how to win, as shown by the fact that he won the highest office in the world.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 12:09:56 PM »

If I were the Democratic candidate, I'd be thrilled to hear that Trump is spending time and money in New Mexico, instead of states which he actually has a chance of winning.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:13:37 PM »

Trump is an unorthodox genius who really knows how to win, as shown by the fact that he won the highest office in the world.
No. American voters are just stupid.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »

If Trump wasn't so well-funded, I'd say this was a dumb strategy. But he's got money to burn, and for a candidate who won by such a razor-thin margin, it makes sense to spread your resources around to give yourself more paths to 270. I don't personally think New Mexico even qualifies as a swing state these days, but Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Nevada are all prime targets.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »

MN is a good target (even if I doubt he will win it), besides it could help republicans to hold the state senate. NV and NH are probably fools gold.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 02:03:50 PM »

Trump could flip NH/ME/MN/NV in 2020, but it's very unlikely given his current approvals and polling numbers. NM is a total waste of time.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »

I hope he spends lots and lots of time/effort/money in a safe D state like New Mexico.

As for the others, they'd just be gravy in a scenario where he's already headed for re-election regardless.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »

If he or his genius advisors seriously believe that NM (or even NV, for that matter) is more likely to flip than ME, they’re stuck in 2004 and deserve to lose in a landslide. The only states he could flip in an absolute best-case scenario are NH, ME, and maybe MN, and that’s it.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »

I really have no idea why the Trump camp is so obsessed with NM. IMO Trump is more likely than not going to lose the popular vote again, and even if he were to win it, the state wouldn't be competitive unless he's winning by a big margin.

Also, I remember a few months ago the campaign was considering targeting Oregon as well. I wonder if they'll actually do it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:45 PM »

TRUMP has done very well on wall, trade and overseas peace. He falls down on domestics: tax reform, middle class tax cuts, retirement pensions and security.

The people are pleading with this president as well as what happened to Dubya, get your own house in order, domestically, thats why Dems will win all 279 blue wall
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2019, 02:55:34 PM by KYWildman »

No. American voters are just stupid.

That’s not fair since most of us didn’t vote for him.

Seriously though, Trump won by a combination of cheating, dumb luck, old school snake oil con man tactics, and exploiting fear-mongering/race-baiting in a polarized nation. Any crass and conscienceless idiot who saw the opportunity could have done that. He just happened to be the first and richest.
swf541

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 02:48:38 PM »

The MN, NV and NH choices make sense, NM just makes 0 sense
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »

If he or his genius advisors seriously believe that NM (or even NV, for that matter) is more likely to flip than ME, they’re stuck in 2004

I never knew Politician was a Trump advisor. I guess he really does hire only the best people. Wink
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »

If he or his genius advisors seriously believe that NM (or even NV, for that matter) is more likely to flip than ME, they’re stuck in 2004

I never knew Politician was a Trump advisor. I guess he really does hire only the best people. Wink
Can you please stop calling me out by name and harassing me?

You literally just tried mocking “trend worshippers” including IceSpear just today
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 03:09:59 PM »

Are you well dude? Because the kind of language you just used signals that something must be really bothering you or you’re really stressed if you’re letting people on a website get under your skin like that
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »

Surprised they’re not contesting Virginia, lol. Or maybe they are? Who the hell even knows at this point.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »

Are you well dude? Because the kind of language you just used signals that something must be really bothering you or you’re really stressed if you’re letting people on a website get under your skin like that

They even keep reporting our posts en masse. Sad!

I can take being called retarded, that doesn’t bother me. I just think it might be beneficial to him if he just takes a break for a while from this site and cleared his head
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »

Can you please stop calling me out by name and harassing me?

"Harassing"? lol

Also, I'm pretty sure you've mentioned me far more than I've mentioned you in the past few weeks.

Anyway, it's not that serious, chillax bro.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:30 PM »

NM is a waste of money, but otherwise this strategy makes a lot of sense.

Regardless, the lion's share of money should be spent in EV-rich states that Trump needs to win or would put him very close to winning like FL, PA, WI, OH, GA, MI, TX.
Kyng
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »

Yeah, NM is a waste of time. It's not going to be part of any "path to 270" for Trump: it'll only be competitive if he's already winning comfortably nationwide.

States like MN and NH make sense, though. They could save him if, for whatever reason, he collapses in the Sun Belt.

But, regardless of whether it's a 'good strategy' or a 'bad strategy', it's the kind of strategy that I'd personally like to see. I want both sides to try and expand the map - if nothing else, so that more states matter, and more people's voices matter.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 04:12:28 PM »

He should spend $100 mil in California. Put it all in ads. He really has a shot there!
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »

Trump could flip NH/ME/MN/NV in 2020, but it's very unlikely given his current approvals and polling numbers. NM is a total waste of time.

Yeah New Mexico is just going to be not only a waste of time, but of money. Minnesota and New Hampshire could work if he slightly expanded his base or drove higher turn out of his base, with Nevada and Maine being possible if he increases his approval ratings
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »

As for the article, NH and maybe NV are the only ones listed that are justifiable, but I think NH gets an outsize share of attention as it is. It’s merely 4 Electoral Votes and in most scenarios won’t be decisive
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies