Personal problems mean retirement for Lott?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Personal problems mean retirement for Lott?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Personal problems mean retirement for Lott?  (Read 1936 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2005, 06:05:39 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051217/ap_on_el_se/lott_future

If he does retire, Pickering better run. If Pickering doesn't run and Mike Moore does, the GOP is in trouble.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 06:13:24 PM »

I read an article the other day that stated Lott would retire if he was denied the Majority Leader spot.

Taylor or Moore would make the race very competitive, possibly a toss-up.  Moore has never lost statewide.  And if Taylor can transfer his 60-65% in MS-4 to the senate race... He would be damn hard to beat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:20:20 PM »

I read an article the other day that stated Lott would retire if he was denied the Majority Leader spot.

I figured it had something to do with the leadership but doesn't he want whip?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 07:07:04 PM »

In case anyone's interested, the last time Taylor's district voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate was either 1960 or 1956.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 07:13:32 PM »

Al, lets assume Lott retires and Taylor runs unopposed in the dem primary.  Come general election time what are the odds of him pulling his normal 60-65% in MS-4 in a senate race?  If he pulls that off, he would be pretty damn hard to beat, correct?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 11:59:42 AM »

Al, lets assume Lott retires and Taylor runs unopposed in the dem primary.  Come general election time what are the odds of him pulling his normal 60-65% in MS-4 in a senate race? 
Who are we to assume as his Rep opponent? Especially: Where are we to assume his Rep opponent to be from?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 12:50:28 PM »

I'd like to see Amy Tuck run for Senate - she would do VERY well.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 02:13:14 PM »

If he does retire, Pickering better run. If Pickering doesn't run and Mike Moore does, the GOP is in trouble.

Who ever the GOP nominates should Moore run I think the race will be very competitive... but would Moore run, I think Schumer and Reid would certainly try and convince him to "pull a Casey" Smiley

Taylor and current AG Jim Hood would also be credible and competive Democratic candidates, perhaps the most intriguing possibility for the Democrats though, should Moore pass on the race, would be former Governor Ray Mabus.

Surprisingly the Democrats can boast four credible candidates for a seat that, should Lott run for re-election will be a “lock” for the GOP, the likely trend in the fall of 2006 can only help strong candidates like Taylor, Hood, Moore and Mabus.   
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 02:20:35 PM »

Who ever the GOP nominates should Moore run I think the race will be very competitive... but would Moore run, I think Schumer and Reid would certainly try and convince him to "pull a Casey" Smiley

What do you mean by 'pull a Casey'?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »

I dunno. "go negative" maybe? Or "run against Lott"?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »

I dunno. "go negative" maybe? Or "run against Lott"?

Drag a top tier candidate into a race which while they would likely win, they may have had reservations about entering.

Sure there are differences between getting Casey to run in PA and potentially getting Moore to run in MS but there are also some important parallels as well.     
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »

Hopefully, Lott and his family see their situation become brighter.  It is always awful to see even those who you disagree with politically suffer.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 06:23:31 PM »

The big obstacle for a Democrat running for the Senate in Mississippi is sort of the same problem that Brad Carson had in Oklahoma, namely his vote puts Harry Reid and Ted Kennedy in the majority.  The Republican can claim "A vote for Taylor/Mabus/et al is a vote for Ted Kennedy."  And that is very persuasive.  From what I've heard, Taylor has a somewhat erratic personality that may not translate well to a statewide race.  Lott also, from what I've heard, does not like Taylor and would do his darnest to keep him from succeeding him in the Senate.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 10:30:21 PM »

I figured it had something to do with the leadership but doesn't he want whip?

If its majority leader or bust, his retirement is a fait accompli.  There's no way McConnell steps down for him.  Supposedly the Whip position is to go to Santorum, but I doubt he'll be there next year.  Even if he were to try for whip, though, I don't think he has the votes...

Congressman Pickering, I've heard, is already travelling the state... he was particularly involved with the Katrina aide, too...

As for the Democrats, I'd like to see some competition but I have my doubts with the inevitable Pickering juggernaut.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2005, 11:49:46 PM »

Congressman Pickering, I've heard, is already travelling the state... he was particularly involved with the Katrina aide, too...

I think you meant Katrina aid not aide unless there's a scandal waiting to be revealed. Cheesy
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 05:33:47 AM »

I think you meant Katrina aid not aide unless there's a scandal waiting to be revealed. Cheesy

haha... i think MS could use a scandal to spice things up... it also might give Dems a chance there! Wink + Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 03:11:47 PM »

I don't want Taylor to run...I don't know any other Dem who could win in his House seat, so I'd rather him just keep that.

Mike Moore...that's my guy.

Of course, if Taylor's the candidate, I'll be behind him 100%.  I think I'm going to volunteer over the summer for whoever the Democrat is.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 03:14:44 PM »

Taylor and current AG Jim Hood would also be credible and competive Democratic candidates, perhaps the most intriguing possibility for the Democrats though, should Moore pass on the race, would be former Governor Ray Mabus.

Surprisingly the Democrats can boast four credible candidates for a seat that, should Lott run for re-election will be a “lock” for the GOP, the likely trend in the fall of 2006 can only help strong candidates like Taylor, Hood, Moore and Mabus.   
There's so few of us here, and Taylor and Hood already have jobs...I'd definitely rather go with Moore and not give up the AG or a House Seat.

Mabus, though...that's a really interesting idea...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 06:12:22 PM »

There's so few of us here, and Taylor and Hood already have jobs...I'd definitely rather go with Moore and not give up the AG or a House Seat.

Mabus, though...that's a really interesting idea...

That’s my fear as well.

Look at Oklahoma back in 2004, Brad Carson a bright conservative Democrat throws away a promising career in what was a bad year for Democrats.   

Though admittedly 2004 was a presidential year and was also one in which the GOP was in a far stronger position nationally than they are today, especially in Oklahoma with Bush at the top of the ticket and high evangelical turnout nationwide.

If Moore ran in an open race, that keeps Taylor and Hood in strong positions, if Barbour was vulnerable (as he seemed pre-Katrina) Hood might be a good candidate for 2007 (?) as for Taylor I’m not sure… at the moment I seem to remember he’s getting his place sorted out after the storm, rather like Lott… but we’ll see he might still have a long way to go on the Hill and the “Blue Dogs” are only going to grow in future years making folks like Taylor increasingly influential within the Democratic Party in the house.         

Thoughts on Mabus?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 09:45:09 PM »

I hope not, I really like Lott Smiley

I really do hope it gets better for him.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 05:24:56 AM »

Who's Mabus?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »

former governor of MS, from '88-'92, before Fordice.  He was ambassador to Saudi Arabia too, if that matters.  He lost reelection in the '91 campaign to Fordice and I haven't heard much about him since.

Gene Taylor is a good Democrat in general to run for a MS senate seat, I just don't see him winning, and his running means he'd lose his House seat which the Republicans would almost certainly pick up.  Mike Moore, though, I could see winning the seat.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005, 09:51:24 PM »

former governor of MS, from '88-'92, before Fordice.  He was ambassador to Saudi Arabia too, if that matters.  He lost reelection in the '91 campaign to Fordice and I haven't heard much about him since.

Gene Taylor is a good Democrat in general to run for a MS senate seat, I just don't see him winning, and his running means he'd lose his House seat which the Republicans would almost certainly pick up.  Mike Moore, though, I could see winning the seat.

Can anyone breakdown the potential Democratic winning coalition with Moore/Mabus geographically/demographically?  Does Pickering have any obvious weaknesses?

What about Wicker?  Everytime Pickering gets mentioned as a shoo0in it seems like his partisans chime in..."what about the congressman from Northern MS?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies