San Francisco Board of Supervisors Labels NRA a Domestic Terrorist Organization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  San Francisco Board of Supervisors Labels NRA a Domestic Terrorist Organization
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: San Francisco Board of Supervisors Labels NRA a Domestic Terrorist Organization  (Read 2078 times)
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »

While the NRA is kind of guilty of accessory to murder, the "terrorist" label is stretching it a bit. Then again, the Trumpists want to designate Antifa as terrorists, so I guess it's a case of BOTH SIDES DO IT.
There's a sort of issue with that. Antifa has been actively violent for a very long time.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »

While the NRA is kind of guilty of accessory to murder, the "terrorist" label is stretching it a bit. Then again, the Trumpists want to designate Antifa as terrorists, so I guess it's a case of BOTH SIDES DO IT.
There's a sort of issue with that. Antifa has been actively violent for a very long time.

Noted conservative Richard Spencer agrees with you.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »

Labeling people who aren't terrorists as terrorists is dumb.

The NRA is a cuckish organization but that's beside the point. And I'm not even anti-gun.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »

Labeling people who aren't terrorists as terrorists is dumb.

And if you're gonna do that you'll also have to label the Proud Boys/Patriot Prayer as "terrorists" too. Not saying they are of course, but the blame doesn't lie on only 1 side.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:43 PM »

This declaration is a horrible precedent. But thank you. We may now designate MoveOn.org, Media Matters, the DSA, the SRA, the LGC, every Antifa organization, La Raza, and every other left-wing domestic terror organization as a domestic terror organization. Also, while we'll at it, let's add the Human Rights Campaign, Planned Parenthood, various other organizations involved in violence...

Pretty sure they've all killed more people than the NRA. In fact, how about we designate the SPLC while we're at it?

After all, this is purely symbolic. It's just saying who our politicians don't like in a resolution, and calling them terrorists as an ad hominem insult.

I'm no fan of the NRA (it was a hunting org that didn't really care about gun rights that turned into a gun manufacturers PR firm that still doesn't really care about gun rights), but this is corny.  When southern cities start doing this to antifa (which is a million times more of a terrorist organization than the NRA, rather obviously), you will be singing a different tune.
You're actually wrong. It began as a US Government subsidized organization for informing and training US citizens in how to use firearms as a means of ensuring the military would have good recruits in case of war, and as such Congress often relied on it to create gun control laws...

Until they went so far that the NRA became a "gun rights" group.

Moveon.org and La Raza as domestic terrorist organizations.

That is the tip of the iceberg of what is a grossly and uniformly bad post. Way way way too much time necessary to deconstruct this steaming pile.

You have yet to post anything remotely constituting a reasonable coherent argument as opposed to vomiting up right wing talking points. It's with great pleasure I put you, long overdue, on to ignore.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 12:54:16 AM »

I can't wait till all organizations on the left and the right are labeled domestic terrorist organizations which will then make that term meaningless. This obviously is a very stupid decision and basically encourages republicans to do the same to antifa and other organizations they don't like.

I'm not a fan of the NRA either, but they haven't killed anyone. That's just ludicrous to say.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 03:36:35 AM »

I can't wait till all organizations on the left and the right are labeled domestic terrorist organizations which will then make that term meaningless. This obviously is a very stupid decision and basically encourages republicans to do the same to antifa and other organizations they don't like.

I'm not a fan of the NRA either, but they haven't killed anyone. That's just ludicrous to say.
If you willingly - and not under any pressure to do so - help ISIS find shelter, ammunition and provisions, you are aiding and abetting a terrorist organization.

The NRA is assisting mass shooters in finding mass murder tools, and constantly fighting against any regulation whatsoever. If American public opinion was more pro-gun, the NRA would be advocating for bazookas and fully automatic rapid fire machine gun turrets for home security systems. Don't try to deny that the NRA actively encourages use of desdly weapons by as many Americans as possible, even those ill-suited to own a tool of death.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:26 AM »

it should have been expected actually.  The idiots that vote for these people love to call everyone that disagrees with them politically a Nazi, and that punching "Nazis" is a perfectly reasonable form of protest, so of course the people they vote for are going to call organizations that disagree with them politically a terrorist organization.  It's easy to do, who would dare object?  It feeds the base the manna they so crave and confirms already well established biases.  It certainly won't cost them any votes and now that they've solved the gun problem they can get on to more pressing matters like making sure the owner of a laundromat doesn't tear it down to build much needed apartments.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »

This declaration is a horrible precedent. But thank you. We may now designate MoveOn.org, Media Matters, the DSA, the SRA, the LGC, every Antifa organization, La Raza, and every other left-wing domestic terror organization as a domestic terror organization. Also, while we'll at it, let's add the Human Rights Campaign, Planned Parenthood, various other organizations involved in violence...

Pretty sure they've all killed more people than the NRA. In fact, how about we designate the SPLC while we're at it?

After all, this is purely symbolic. It's just saying who our politicians don't like in a resolution, and calling them terrorists as an ad hominem insult.
Moveon.org and La Raza as domestic terrorist organizations.

That is the tip of the iceberg of what is a grossly and uniformly bad post. Way way way too much time necessary to deconstruct this steaming pile.

You have yet to post anything remotely constituting a reasonable coherent argument as opposed to vomiting up right wing talking points. It's with great pleasure I put you, long overdue, on to ignore.
If the NRA is a "domestic terrorist organization" for its exercise of free speech, then why not MoveOn and La Raza? Can you come up with a single thing that's bad about this post, specifically relevant to either of these two groups?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »

Did the NRA pay them to do this?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »

Don't be ridiculous. LaPierre would only do that if he had a close relative on the board who could pocket the money and give him a kickback.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »

If you willingly - and not under any pressure to do so - help ISIS find shelter, ammunition and provisions, you are aiding and abetting a terrorist organization.

The NRA is assisting mass shooters in finding mass murder tools, and constantly fighting against any regulation whatsoever. If American public opinion was more pro-gun, the NRA would be advocating for bazookas and fully automatic rapid fire machine gun turrets for home security systems. Don't try to deny that the NRA actively encourages use of desdly weapons by as many Americans as possible, even those ill-suited to own a tool of death.
How? The NRA isn't going around with the knowledge of who's going to shoot something up and then handing them a gun if they are. That's what it sounds like you're arguing. I'm not denying that the NRA doesn't encourage gun ownership and the right to own one. Also your ISIS comparison is absurd.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »

"Republicans are the ones who are getting more extreme!"

Imagine if conservatives did this with Planned Parenthood.
Imagine if teh gheys treated conservative Christians the way conservative Christians have/do treat teh gheys!  You have...at least subconsciously, and that’s why you have the NRA.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

I'm no fan of the NRA (it was a hunting org that didn't really care about gun rights that turned into a gun manufacturers PR firm that still doesn't really care about gun rights), but this is corny.  When southern cities start doing this to antifa (which is a million times more of a terrorist organization than the NRA, rather obviously), you will be singing a different tune.

seeing as Antifa isn't actually a single organization, this doesn't seem right...
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »

America: Has recurring right wing extremist terrorism

Also America: "um, excuse me, I think you'll find that the Antifa are the actual terrorists"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »

seeing as Antifa isn't actually a single organization, this doesn't seem right...

That's what Soros wants you to believe.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »

I guess they have to find some way to spend all their time now that they've surrendered any city management related stuff completely to NIMBYist stagnation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2019, 03:01:50 PM »

I'm no fan of the NRA (it was a hunting org that didn't really care about gun rights that turned into a gun manufacturers PR firm that still doesn't really care about gun rights), but this is corny.  When southern cities start doing this to antifa (which is a million times more of a terrorist organization than the NRA, rather obviously), you will be singing a different tune.

seeing as the NRA isn't actually a terrorist organization didn't seem to bother these idiot politicos, I can't imagine antifa not being a "single" organization would bother some other city council with a different view of what's "wrong with America" than these clowns in SF do
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »

Once again, the left is absolutely awful at long-gaming.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »

Don't be ridiculous. LaPierre would only do that if he had a close relative on the board who could pocket the money and give him a kickback.

You don't think they care about fundraising?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »

Not by any means. I suspect the posters who liked this post will eventually raise complaints when some random town in Alabama or Georgia declares Antifa to be a "domestic terrorist" organization. Say what you will about the NRA, but it is nowhere near the level of white supremacists, or Antifa, or Islamic fundamentalist groups, or whatever you might try to compare it to.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »

In all seriousness, while this is obvious hyperbole comparing what is still a sluggishly aggressive and bullying lobbying organization that has only recently started to even see its comeuppance on the horizon, labeling in a terrorist organization is, again, considerable hubris.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

1. The NRA is not promoting any bill which would assist any terrorist organization, or opposing any bill which would harm any terrorist organization.
2. Even if the NRA did promote or oppose such bills, it would be a valid exercise of First Amendment rights per the Marsh ruling.
3. The NRA has held a fairly consistent view of gun control since the 1930s, when it first helped a gun control bill pass in Congress. American public opinion is likely irrelevant, and as far as I know, only one change in the NRA's gun control stance has actually occurred since the 1960s, with the possible exceptions of two bills it helped passed in the 2000s--one of which was a response to emergency gun confiscation order issued by a local sheriff during the state of emergency for Hurricane Katrina. In fact, the NRA actively pushed for Trump to issue a new gun control executive order which he signed in 2018, and even pushed gun control through Congress under George W. Bush.
4. There are at least three actual anti-gun control organizations, which unlike the NRA do not support gun control whatsoever.
5. The NRA opposes allowing the mentally ill to possess guns, and supports background checks, at very least. Therefore, they do not want "as many Americans as possible" to own guns. However, they were established with the goal of helping Americans to improve their aim--literally--due to the fact that Union soldiers had a 0.1% accuracy rate during the Civil War. So yes, they do support helping people to improve their skills and become responsible gun owners, even if their aim sucks.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:43 PM »

1. The NRA is not promoting any bill which would assist any terrorist organization, or opposing any bill which would harm any terrorist organization.
2. Even if the NRA did promote or oppose such bills, it would be a valid exercise of First Amendment rights per the Marsh ruling.
3. The NRA has held a fairly consistent view of gun control since the 1930s, when it first helped a gun control bill pass in Congress. American public opinion is likely irrelevant, and as far as I know, only one change in the NRA's gun control stance has actually occurred since the 1960s, with the possible exceptions of two bills it helped passed in the 2000s--one of which was a response to emergency gun confiscation order issued by a local sheriff during the state of emergency for Hurricane Katrina. In fact, the NRA actively pushed for Trump to issue a new gun control executive order which he signed in 2018, and even pushed gun control through Congress under George W. Bush.
4. There are at least three actual anti-gun control organizations, which unlike the NRA do not support gun control whatsoever.
5. The NRA opposes allowing the mentally ill to possess guns, and supports background checks, at very least. Therefore, they do not want "as many Americans as possible" to own guns. However, they were established with the goal of helping Americans to improve their aim--literally--due to the fact that Union soldiers had a 0.1% accuracy rate during the Civil War. So yes, they do support helping people to improve their skills and become responsible gun owners, even if their aim sucks.

Why is there no discussion as to the motivation for gun crimes, aside from "white nationalism"? 

Why is there no discussion for the motivation for gun crimes in mass shootings, in the gun crimes in our major cities, and such?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzy Stands With The Bahamian People and Sanchez!

Why is there no discussion as to the motivation for gun crimes, aside from "white nationalism"? 

Why is there no discussion for the motivation for gun crimes in mass shootings, in the gun crimes in our major cities, and such?

There is, the media and our society just doesn't care about gun violence in the black community. There are plenty of advocates, many black women who have lost close family victimized by gun violence, these women have been doing advocacy work about the roots causes, the insane availability of guns, and the lack of public response by the government to end it.

But nobody cares. Conservatives only care about black crime when they want to use it as a distraction to talk about anything else and they never care about the underlying issues. It's just a deflect to try and minimize many serious topics that need to be dealt with.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies