ManchOUT for WV GOV (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:12:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ManchOUT for WV GOV (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ManchOUT for WV GOV  (Read 4130 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 03, 2019, 01:19:38 AM »

Ugh, imagine a Dem prez loses control of the senate because of this. 2020 senate majority is already an uphill climb, but losing one more would almost certainly be a gift for the GOP and the old turtle.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:28:05 AM »

Well what the hell was the point of 2018?

I hold the same view. Of course, if Manchin does lose the gubernatorial race against Justice, then he will still have four years left to his Senate term. At any rate, I think 2018 could end up being the last Democratic statewide victory in the state for many decades to come.

He doesn't have to give up his seat? Everybody here has been giving me the opposite impression.

As far as I know, yes. Manchin could run for Governor while still serving in the Senate. It would be a juggling act, but he could do it. Though if he does win the gubernatorial election, a holdover would only hold the seat through a special election in 2022, which would almost certainly be won by the Republicans.

That's correct, but the GOP could change the state law and trigger a special election within a few months (like the case in MA or VT). Manchin could veto, but the WV gov's veto can be overriden by a simple majority. Or the GOP changes the state law during the lame duck while Justice is still serving. I'm sure they would do it, especially if the senate is 50-50 after the 2020 elections.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »

Who's ready for Justice vs Blankenship next year?

Count me in dude!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »

Who's ready for Justice vs Blankenship next year?
Blankenship isn't going to be the nominee. Believe it or not even the more conservative West Virginia Democrats aren't too fond of a guy who's most well known for ignoring safety standards resulting in the deaths of 29 miners.

Justice (R) v. Ojeda (D) v. Blankenship (C)

But if he runs in the Dem primary, he can't run in the GE due to sore loser law in WV.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:51 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »

Dems chances of a Senate takeover has greatly improved thanks to Leader McConnell obstruction. That's why he will stay and try to pass his background checks
Does anything you say ever make sense?

Sure it makes sense because McConnell in KY is vulnerable to Amy McGrath and Beshear as gov. Dems will sweep senate with Manchin staying on and Biden will be prez with Gillibrand or Ryan as VP, which will also flip OH and MO. Sun Belt will stay GOP as FL doesn't have income tax; except for Jones who is favored due to Moore winning the nomination and Leader McConnell paying the price for Garland obstruction. But Biden as prez will nominate new SC justices.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »

Dems chances of a Senate takeover has greatly improved thanks to Leader McConnell obstruction. That's why he will stay and try to pass his background checks
Does anything you say ever make sense?

Sure it makes sense because McConnell in KY is vulnerable to Amy McGrath and Beshear as gov. Dems will sweep senate with Manchin staying on and Biden will be prez with Gillibrand or Ryan as VP, which will also flip OH and MO. Sun Belt will stay GOP as FL doesn't have income tax; except for Jones who is favored due to Moore winning the nomination and Leader McConnell paying the price for Garland obstruction. But Biden as prez will nominate new SC justices.
I honestly can't tell if you're being legitimately serious or if you're attempting to troll me.

I was obviously joking by writing a OC-style answer that made very little in this context Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies