Miss. venue cancels couple's wedding plans after discovering they're mixed race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:43:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Miss. venue cancels couple's wedding plans after discovering they're mixed race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Miss. venue cancels couple's wedding plans after discovering they're mixed race  (Read 3363 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »

For those who claimed "religious freedom" laws wouldn't result in racial discrimination...

“First of all, we don’t do gay weddings or mixed race, because of our Christian race—I mean, our Christian belief,” the woman tells Welch in the video.

“Okay, we’re Christians as well,” Welch replies.

“Yes ma’am,” the woman says.

“So, what in the Bible tells you that—?,” Welch begins to ask, before getting cut off by the apparent Boone’s camp employee.

“Well, I don’t want to argue my faith,” the woman says.

http://www.deepsouthvoice.com/index.php/2019/09/01/no-mixed-or-gay-couples-mississippi-wedding-venue-manager-says-on-video/
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »

oh no, i guess they have to not get married now.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »

that is messed up brah. the existence of morons like this all over the south is another good reason for my fiancee and I to just hit up the courthouse to get married then take everyone we care about to Chili's afterward. People r so judgy here.

I can't wait to leave the Bible Belt.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »

You have serious deficiencies when it comes to combining common sense and critical thinking with empathy.  I’d imagine it’s cuz the latter part is lacking and while not on purpose at first, you’ve spent a long time honing in on a world view that embraces said issue.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »

They probably suffer from economic anxiety.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

You have serious deficiencies when it comes to combining common sense and critical thinking with empathy.  I’d imagine it’s cuz the latter part is lacking and while not on purpose at first, you’ve spent a long time honing in on a world view that embraces said issue.

You see, they don’t care about the discrimination they bring, only what they think is the discrimination against them which is actually equality and fairness of treating everyone the same.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »

I mean they can still get married obviously but that doesn't mean the owner of the venue isn't a huge prick lmao.

The free market should put them out of business, hopefully.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 12:11:01 PM »

You see, they don’t care about the discrimination they bring, only what they think is the discrimination against them which is actually equality and fairness of treating everyone the same.

It's completely fair and equal to say that no one can be forced to provide a non-necessary service they don't agree with.   

The idea of criticizing me for a lack of empathy is a joke.  The point of threads like this is not to show empathy for anyone involved in this situation, who is never going to read this thread.  It's to say that the political "other" is bad and dangerous and so we should restrict traditional freedoms in order to punish them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 12:20:49 PM »

It's completely fair and equal to say that no one can be forced to provide a non-necessary service they don't agree with.   

The idea of criticizing me for a lack of empathy is a joke.  The point of threads like this is not to show empathy for anyone involved in this situation, who is never going to read this thread.  It's to say that the political "other" is bad and dangerous and so we should restrict traditional freedoms in order to punish them.

Just because these people have the freedom to refuse to serve interracial couples shouldn't make them immune from criticism for doing so, since that is a pretty dick move. If they can't stand the heat they should get out of the kitchen and close their doors. Otherwise maybe they should actually behave in a socially acceptable manner and their business might prosper.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »

You're the kind of person who would say that black people in the 1950s should just continue driving from motel to motel all night long until they finally find one that allows blacks, and that that is a perfectly reasonable and sustainable way of doing things.

If you're in business, you provide your service to anyone who can pay, period. Conservatives love to talk about how businesses have no responsibility other than to generate profits for their owners - fine, then this woman should leave her feelings and beliefs at home and focus on generating profit, which she is not doing if she's turning away paying customers for being the wrong color.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »

No, neither fair nor equal. This is how discrimination in housing and employment was justified back in the day.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 12:38:44 PM »

Just to be absolutely clear, you appear to be saying that it is acceptable for a business to refuse service because of the customer's race.  Do you in fact consider this acceptable?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »

Just because these people have the freedom to refuse to serve interracial couples shouldn't make them immune from criticism for doing so, since that is a pretty dick move. If they can't stand the heat they should get out of the kitchen and close their doors. Otherwise maybe they should actually behave in a socially acceptable manner and their business might prosper.

I'm completely in favor of criticizing an act like this on moral or theological grounds, not as part of a larger political agenda.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »

No, neither fair nor equal. This is how discrimination in housing and employment was justified back in the day.

having a place to live and a job is unnecessary?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »

To paraphrase, there are other places to where one can live and find a job.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »

This is modern conservatism for you. The right to discriminate is more important than the right to vote.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »

And the conservative response would be that no one has a "right" to a job - that if no one will give you a job, you should "create" your own job by starting a business or doing work as an independent laborer/contractor.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 01:03:15 PM »

There is nothing comparable when it comes to booking a facility for an event in terms of
the effects of geography and job options on economic and social mobility.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »

W-O-W.

Until the past year or two, I honestly had no idea that anyone still seriously thought anything about mixed-race relationships. Even though I've now realized that there are way more disgusting racists out there than I previously thought, stuff like this never fails to surprise me. Ugh.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »

I'm completely in favor of criticizing an act like this on moral or theological grounds, not as part of a larger political agenda.

This.
Vittorio
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »

You're a moron.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 03:17:57 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2019, 03:25:17 PM by Invisible Obama »

"I don't want to argue my faith" that's because she couldn't quote a bible verse that backed up what she was saying.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »

"I don't want to argue my faith" that's because she couldn't quote a bible verse that backed up what she was saying.

Too bad this is also the rightwing Supreme Court stance on the issue.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »

Well, yes, that's the point.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »

Legitimate discrimination? Yeah. But I can’t imagine anybody wants to give money to somebody who stringently opposes their marriage.

I don’t really understand why this is national news - I can’t imagine it’s remotely uncommon enough to happen only once a year or whatever. Actually, I would imagine this happens way more than once a week.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies