Trump offers to pardon officials carrying out his illegal orders on The Wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump offers to pardon officials carrying out his illegal orders on The Wall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump offers to pardon officials carrying out his illegal orders on The Wall  (Read 754 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »

‘Take the land’: President Trump wants a border wall. He wants it black. And he wants it by Election Day.
The president has told senior aides that a failure to deliver on the signature promise of his 2016 campaign would be a letdown to his supporters and an embarrassing defeat. With the election 14 months away and hundreds of miles of fencing plans still in blueprint form, Trump has held regular meetings at the White House to receive progress updates and hasten the pace, according to several people involved in the discussions.

When aides have suggested that some of his orders are illegal or unworkable, Trump has suggested he would pardon the officials if they would just go ahead, aides said. He has waved off worries about contracting procedures and the use of eminent domain, saying “take the land,” according to officials present at the meetings.

“Don’t worry, I’ll pardon you,” he has told officials in meetings about the wall.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:25:16 PM »

I still think GWB is the worst President of my lifetime because the Iraq War was such a murderous and expensive disaster. But I did think it would be a while before we saw another President who was stupid and reckless because voters were burned out on that but I was so wrong. Donald Trump is so stupid, corrupt, and imbecilic it almost doesn't seem real. The saddest part is that now I can easily imagine what future cretin the Republican Party of America will burden us with.

Vittorio
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »

. He has waved off worries about contracting procedures and the use of eminent domain, saying “take the land,”

It seems to me as if capitalist society will go out walking backwards, starting with enclosure. In the Old World we seized communal land in the name of privatization and 'progress'; in the New we seize private land in the name of publicization and conservation.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »

I still think GWB is the worst President of my lifetime because the Iraq War was such a murderous and expensive disaster. But I did think it would be a while before we saw another President who was stupid and reckless because voters were burned out on that but I was so wrong. Donald Trump is so stupid, corrupt, and imbecilic it almost doesn't seem real. The saddest part is that now I can easily imagine what future cretin the Republican Party of America will burden us with.

I think Bush was wrong, and foolish, and that his administration as a whole was amoral and destructive and ignorant. The United States was injured badly on his watch - our values, our institutions, our self-confidence, our economy, and even rule of law and much more all took a beating under Bush. And maybe I'm naive or too optimistic, but I don't think it was all deliberate. I don't think Bush and his administration targeted the United States with the intent of hurting the nation.

Trump and his GOP, on the other hand... it's hard to see them as done anything but attacking the United States and deliberately trying to destroy everything good or decent about our nation.  The corruption, the attacks on election security, the utter disrespect for tradition, decency, or the rule of law... Trump, much like other dictators, likes to use the phrase, "Enemy of the People" for those who criticize him. I would say rather that Mr. Trump, his officials, and his party are the Enemy of the United States. He falls so far below "worse President" that the comparison is meaningless. The individuals he should be compared with are not past Presidents, but Benedict Arnold, Aaron Burr, and Jefferson Davis.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 12:38:24 AM »

"We need to build this wall so that we can finally enforce our laws!!"

"Okay, but building the wall at such a rushed pace could mean breaking a few laws in the process."

"Pfft, whatever, nerd."
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 12:46:09 AM »

This is why I support reforms where pardons can be overturned if found to be unsound (such mechanisms already exist in Peru, where a pardon of their former president Alberto Fujimori was overturned last year).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:34 AM »

I wouldn't trust a promise of a pardon from Donald Trump or base any decision on it. Indeed, given this is Donald Trump, I wouldn't trust any promise he makes, period.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 07:31:29 PM »

"We need to build this wall so that we can finally enforce our laws!!"

"Okay, but building the wall at such a rushed pace could mean breaking a few laws in the process."

"Pfft, whatever, nerd."

Laws are only supposed to be enforceable against people who look different from "real Americans."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »

The wall isnt the problem.  There is more than 1 ethnic group that take low paying jobs from Americans: Arabs, Asians and Puerto Ricans. The Wall, was supposed to be paid for by Mexico
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 12:39:18 AM »

Non-denial denial, complex with Random Caps and misspelling of 'aides'. 
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »

Does he mean a STAGED / SCRIPTED interview, or literally a fake interview? As in, it wasn't actually an interview?

Senile dotard...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »

These Aids are just fine...

Omega21

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »

If the wall is built, Aids won't be able to enter the US and it's citizens anymore.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »

And I don't see a single example of an illegal order that would actually require a pardon.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 11:09:00 AM »

And I don't see a single example of an illegal order that would actually require a pardon.

"Go illegally take people's land but that's not illegal". Roll Eyes
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »

Just want to remind everyone that accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt and can be used as evidence in civil court.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »

Eminent domain for the Wall is not only legal but has special Congressional authorization so that the DHS can use eminent domain in many cases where it wouldn't be legal if it weren't on the US-Mexico border.

Just want to remind everyone that accepting a pardon is an admission of guilt and can be used as evidence in civil court.
Can you cite the state laws under which federal officials could be charged?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »

Eminent domain for the Wall is not only legal but has special Congressional authorization so that the DHS can use eminent domain in many cases where it wouldn't be legal if it weren't on the US-Mexico border.

He's not saying use eminent domain, he's saying go take their land without going through any process. That's illegal son.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »

That doesn’t seem to matter to Don "don’t worry I’ll pardon you" Trumpeone.  He is encouraging his officials to break the law, whether or not any laws actually end up being broken (which they will).
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 12:09:11 PM »

He's not saying use eminent domain, he's saying go take their land without going through any process. That's illegal son.
That's actually legal at the border. Congress passed the authorizing Act in 2006 and Obama's DHS actually activated the exemption.

That doesn’t seem to matter to Don "don’t worry I’ll pardon you" Trumpeone.  He is encouraging his officials to break the law, whether or not any laws actually end up being broken (which they will).
It sort of reminds me of how when you're following a contract but your employee isn't a lawyer sometimes they'll be worried about violating that contract and you just say "No, you're not." in the absolute strongest way possible.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »

^ That’s some Michelle Kwan-level spinning you’re doing there.  Honestly, I’m impressed.  And I have no doubt that you’d be saying the exact same things #ifObamadidit.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »

Even a guy on Fox News said the wall isn't being built. All Trump has done is fence repair on 60 miles. Sadly, most of his supporters are ignorant enough not to care at all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 07:08:09 PM »

Even a guy on Fox News said the wall isn't being built. All Trump has done is fence repair on 60 miles. Sadly, most of his supporters are ignorant enough not to care at all.

It's why I'm always bewildered when he puts so much effort into satiating them (it's just about the only thing he puts effort into). His base doesn't care about engagement or results, all he has to do is talk and make s*** up, and they'll believe him without hesitation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »

That's actually legal at the border. Congress passed the authorizing Act in 2006 and Obama's DHS actually activated the exemption.

It sort of reminds me of how when you're following a contract but your employee isn't a lawyer sometimes they'll be worried about violating that contract and you just say "No, you're not." in the absolute strongest way possible.

Eminent domain does not mean you simply walk in and grab land. Anything--but.

You have zero knowledge of the law. You were merely being an apologist. As noted, you would do nothing of the sort of Obama try the same thing
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 01:40:40 AM »

Nixon must have been stupid, he should have pardoned dudes who broke into Watergate. He would never have been impeached.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies