Is Trump pro gun control at heart?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:59:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Trump pro gun control at heart?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Yes or No
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Is Trump pro gun control at heart?  (Read 2023 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

Obviously all the policies he pushed don't show that, yet after every mass shooting he says some dangerously pro gun control things some of which go even further than some Democrat proposals. However a few days laters he stops talking likely due to NRA lobbying and advisors.

I believe at heart he is actually pro gun control. It doesn't shock me. The NJ/NYC/Staten Island/Long Island Republicans dislike guns because of "those" people. Considering Trump lived in Queens through the 80's it makes sense.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »

Yes. He views crime the way Rudy Guliani viewed crime in the 90s.
urutzizu
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 03:53:37 PM »

Yes and i also think that privately he is also very sympathetic to LGBT rights and i also think that he believes in climate change (but does not care because it is good for business), is not a racist and does not care much about Abortion or Christianity either.
He is just a nativist protectionist nationalist, but Gun rights, Evangelical Conservatism, the borderline racism, climate change and generally this whole culture war against the "liberal elites", of which he was in many ways apart of, is an easy way to mobilize the social conservative traditional base who never really cared so much about protectionism, isolationism, sinophobia, tax cuts, and cutting immigration, his real aims.
User156728683354
Herkenstraff
Rookie
Angola

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:08:28 PM »

Why is this even a question? He is a WASP from NYC. In other words he is a pro-choice, anti-gun, limousine liberal racist. It's the same reason he discriminated against blacks in housing, because he is not a conservative. Conservatives like the Evangelicals always seem to have multiracial families , with an Asian wife and adopted black children and say "we all bleed red white and blue, under the loving arms of Jesus Christ!"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 05:04:14 PM »

Yes and i also think that privately he is also very sympathetic to LGBT rights and i also think that he believes in climate change (but does not care because it is good for business), is not a racist and does not care much about Abortion or Christianity either.
He is just a nativist protectionist nationalist, but Gun rights, Evangelical Conservatism, the borderline racism, climate change and generally this whole culture war against the "liberal elites", of which he was in many ways apart of, is an easy way to mobilize the social conservative traditional base who never really cared so much about protectionism, isolationism, sinophobia, tax cuts, and cutting immigration, his real aims.
I agree with a lot of this, except I think he's a racist too.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »

It’s really hard for me to definitively pin down some aspects of his political philosophy, due to them having changed (in some cases, multiple times) over the course of his public life. Regardless of what he believes at heart, it is evident that he is currently following the will of special interests on many issues.
Vittorio
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »

Yes, but this is not unique to Trump ; Ronald Reagan was also "pro-gun control at heart", as are most politicians. What Trump is trying to do is to find a way into finessing the Republican base into accepting gun control.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:22:22 AM »

Trump is pro-Trump at heart. Everything else is inconsequential.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »

He's probably just towing the party line on the issue considering his background.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »

Trump is nothing "at heart". The dude has no political core. The only thing he's obsessed with is trade and his false narrative every other country is ripping us off big league. The only thing Donald Trump cares about is Donald Trump. He's a narcissistic psychopath through and through.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 11:43:55 AM »

Trump is pro-Trump at heart. Everything else is inconsequential.
Trump is nothing "at heart". The dude has no political core. The only thing he's obsessed with is trade and his false narrative every other country is ripping us off big league. The only thing Donald Trump cares about is Donald Trump. He's a narcissistic psychopath through and through.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2019, 08:27:22 PM by Pittsburgh For Kamala »

I doubt he really has any political beliefs. I mean, he has his preferences when it comes to the issues, but overall he really doesn't care. There's nothing anybody could say to convince me that man is pro-life. I definitely think he supports gun control, as it's an issue he's constantly flipping on. He really just says and does whatever the NRA, RNC, and McConnell tell him to.
Vittorio
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »

Yes, but this is not unique to Trump ; Ronald Reagan was also "pro-gun control at heart", as are most politicians. What Trump is trying to do is to find a way into finessing the Republican base into accepting gun control.

Reagan actually passed gun control though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#Ban_on_new_automatic_firearms

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »

What heart?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 07:19:39 PM »

no
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2019, 06:29:11 AM »

For non whites.
Buffywawa
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:34 PM »

Trump is nothing “at heart”, he doesn’t have one.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2020, 12:31:55 AM »

Reagan actually passed gun control though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#Ban_on_new_automatic_firearms
In those days, there was a thing called compromise. Democrats got a ban on future fully automatic machine guns, and Republicans got a weaker ATF.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2020, 08:12:54 AM »

He literally expressed his dream of seizing firearms without due process. He's a typical crime-obsessed Northeastern Republican.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »

I doubt he cares much about it, like most issues.  He's not as dumb as his detractors think, and he has WAY fewer actual views than his supporters think.  He does the easiest thing he can think of to keep as many people as possible mobilized to keep him in power.  He likely has an actual sympathy toward pro-business and inherently conservative economic principles with a somewhat "bitter" streak toward Chinese tactics at taking advantage of America through trade.  Beyond that?  I doubt he cares about much at all.  I do think he feels personally attacked by "the liberal media," and he enjoys combatting them at every turn, likely seeing "culture wars" as the most enjoyable way to attack them "personally" and mock their misplaced arrogance (i.e., he doesn't give a rat's ass about Confederate statues, lol).
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »

lol no (lol at the people voting yes, when he literally wants to give guns to teachers)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 02:33:08 AM »

I don’t think he really cares either way, he just says what he thinks the base wants to hear.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 02:35:00 AM »

Trump is an authoritarian so yes, he is the actual manifestation of pro gun rights people who say we need guns to protect against a tyrannical government. Trump has fantasies of being the tyrannical government.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies