MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:01:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68489 times)
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: August 20, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2020, 09:02:04 PM by doomer sawx »

Hot Take: Not all Democratic primaries are about Berniecrats vs. the establishment

No, they aren't. This one certainly isn't quite about that.

But with Pelosi and Kennedy trying to paint Markey supporters with the same brush, we know exactly why she's supporting him.
Logical

« Reply #776 on: August 20, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »

Remember when Kennedy pretended to be running on anything other than his last name?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #777 on: August 20, 2020, 09:11:08 PM »

Wait a minute isn't Pelosi to the left of Markey.
No?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #778 on: August 20, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »

Remember when Kennedy pretended to be running on anything other than his last name?

I can't even remember when he didn't. I have faith that the voters of Massachusetts will cast him aside next month, and retain Ed Markey as their Senator.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #779 on: August 20, 2020, 09:17:42 PM »

I can't even remember when he didn't. I have faith that the voters of Massachusetts will cast him aside next month, and retain Ed Markey as their Senator.

The difference between these more blatant ads is that they're supposedly justified (and potentially giving Kennedy momentum!) because Markey repurposed a JFK line to support his (but not exclusively his) own approach to governance.

If the previous polls showing some sort of Markey lead were right and Kennedy wins because of late momentum, will this be the first instance of a candidate winning by suggesting voters should be triggered on behalf of their family?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #780 on: August 20, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »

Hot Take: Not all Democratic primaries are about Berniecrats vs. the establishment

I agree, though some (on both sides) want to make every primary about this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2020, 09:51:54 PM »

I agree, though some (on both sides) want to make every primary about this.

True
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #782 on: August 20, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »

The difference between these more blatant ads is that they're supposedly justified (and potentially giving Kennedy momentum!) because Markey repurposed a JFK line to support his (but not exclusively his) own approach to governance.

If the previous polls showing some sort of Markey lead were right and Kennedy wins because of late momentum, will this be the first instance of a candidate winning by suggesting voters should be triggered on behalf of their family?

I don't know. I do find it ironic that Markey has alluded to JFK in his own campaign, but he's obviously done so to imply that JPK III is unable to meet the high standards which his own grandfather and granduncles (at least in the mythology of the Democratic Party) adhered to, and that he's better fitted to carry their legacy forward. The only real thing which has bothered me about Markey is that he is a career politician, having been in Congress for 43 years. But Kennedy's opportunism is so blatant and so obvious that it cannot go unanswered.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #783 on: August 20, 2020, 10:50:05 PM »

Say what you want about Warren but she'd be busting her ass working for Markey.

Tbf she doesn't seem to have been campaigning for him and I don't blame her. She knew Kennedy well and endorsing against him was probably hard enough.

She actually has been campaigning at events of his, they've just been virtual events (for obvious reasons) so perhaps they're not as visible as they'd otherwise be during a normal campaign.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #784 on: August 20, 2020, 11:08:38 PM »

https://twitter.com/hjessy_/status/1296571562607489026

So much for all that stuff about running on change.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #785 on: August 21, 2020, 12:37:13 AM »

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »

Markey isn't a Berniecrat but obviously isn't neoliberal enough for the neoliberal purity trolls.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #787 on: August 21, 2020, 02:03:41 AM »

ENDORSING CENK UYGUR

BUT NOT ED MARKEY

I'm going to ****ing scream.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #788 on: August 21, 2020, 02:07:56 AM »

The DCCC will still blacklist you if you dare to challenge one of their sh**tty incumbents while the Speaker just endorsed against a Senate incumbent. It's so obvious that they want anyone remotely progressive gone. Markey isn't some progressive dream, but he's a hell of a lot better than Kennedy.

Then why didn't Pelosi endorse Caruso-Cabrera or Melton-Meaux, if they want all progressives gone?

Because neither was going to win and she didn't want to look bad if they won re-election, adding more fuel to the fire for no good reason.

This, however, is a close race where she thinks she can impact it. Is there more at play here than ideology? Absolutely. I'm sure Kennedy and Pelosi had a nice long chat behind closed doors about god knows what but for various reasons Pelosi wants Kennedy in the Senate more than Markey. The problem here is that ideology was clearly involved in a big way and you're using two false equivalencies to try and discount that.

I'll close off my point with something rather obvious that helps solidify this situation not just being "House vs. Senate." If AOC primaries Gillibrand or Tlaib primaries Stabenow, you bet your ass, she aint endorsing.

ENDORSING CENK UYGUR

BUT NOT ED MARKEY

I'm going to ****ing scream.

His endorsement game has always been weak and I don't know why. One of my least favourite things about him. Honestly though, im numb to it at this point.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #789 on: August 21, 2020, 02:47:13 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2020, 03:16:57 AM by #Joemala2020 »

I think this is not going to be close at all and all the handwringing about Nancy Pelosi endorsing JKIII will be for naught.

He comes across as a dweeb. He doesn't have what JFK/RFK had. But I don't live in MA... maybe that name is enough up there.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2020, 02:49:45 AM »

I think this is not going to be close at all and all the handwringing about Nancy Pelosi endorsing JKIII will be for naught.

He comes across as a dweeb. He doesn't have what JFK/RFK have. But I don't live in MA... maybe that name is enough up there.

Its gonna be close, but I wouldnt count out Markey just yet, remember Hubert Humphrey,  Markey is the Hubert Humphrey of the race and RFK would had to force a vote at the DNC Convention if he survived, instead of being killed. Markey still has a slight edge in the race
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #791 on: August 21, 2020, 04:10:49 AM »

Kennedy was a overwhelming favorite (like a Republican in Alabama favorite)

But a campaign that simply was too nice and refused to call out Markey for what he is until it’s too late will likely be the downfall as Markey as caught up and since passed him.

With that being said the last week has been momentum for Joe all the way - so maybe he’s made it close again.

I think this was Kennedy’s race to lose and he squandered it. It’s not over but it’s a tough up hill climb for him
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #792 on: August 21, 2020, 04:53:06 AM »

But a campaign that simply was too nice and refused to call out Markey for what he is until it’s too late will likely be the downfall as Markey as caught up and since passed him.

With that being said the last week has been momentum for Joe all the way - so maybe he’s made it close again.

I think this was Kennedy’s race to lose and he squandered it. It’s not over but it’s a tough up hill climb for him

There's a difference between being too nice and just being bad.

This is the latter.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #793 on: August 21, 2020, 04:57:14 AM »

FEC filings for the period are out. Markey outraised Kennedy $1.5M to $900k, and he has significantly more cash on hand ($3.5M to $1.37M) but Kennedy's campaign outspent Markey's by $1.5M this period:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #794 on: August 21, 2020, 07:24:23 AM »

It will be anywhere between Markey plus 2 to Kennedy plus 4
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #795 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:35 AM »

But with Pelosi and Kennedy trying to paint Markey supporters with the same brush, we know exactly why she's supporting him.

Right, she’s supporting him b/c for congressional Democrats, this race has become a bizarre proxy fight between the House and Senate Democratic Caucuses.  At the end of the day, you’re gonna see what you look for, but it’s pretty clear most congressional Democrats don’t see this race as being about ideological differences between the candidates.  It’s about whether (A) Pelosi is the de facto leader of all congressional Democrats even if the Senate flips or (B) whether Schumer and Pelosi are equals.  If Schumer can block Pelosi from meddling in Senate primaries, he’s asserting his own influence and if he can’t then it could make him a de facto junior partner to Pelosi. 

Also, if anyone thinks Pelosi is in danger of losing even a single vote as Speaker over this then I have some beachfront property in Wyoming to sell them.  Most folks can’t even name their Senators, much less Ed Markey.  You’d think people would have learned by now that #RoseTwitter is not the real world.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #796 on: August 21, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »

What's funniest about you supporting Kennedy very hard in this thread is that Kennedy and Markey are incredibly similar on policy. He's definitely not a "fiscal mod" or "moderate hawk" or whatever as you describe yourself. So, either way, you're going to get someone who most likely will be in favor of the progress you would rather not see happen.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #797 on: August 21, 2020, 12:12:50 PM »

What's funniest about you supporting Kennedy very hard in this thread is that Kennedy and Markey are incredibly similar on policy. He's definitely not a "fiscal mod" or "moderate hawk" or whatever as you describe yourself. So, either way, you're going to get someone who most likely will be in favor of the progress you would rather not see happen.

I’ve waivered on the fiscal point when it became painfully clear that we always find money for billionaire tax cuts but when it comes to education, health care, new roads, subways, hospitals - we always ask hOw cAn We pAy fOr tHaT
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #798 on: August 21, 2020, 12:46:54 PM »

Right, she’s supporting him b/c for congressional Democrats, this race has become a bizarre proxy fight between the House and Senate Democratic Caucuses.  At the end of the day, you’re gonna see what you look for, but it’s pretty clear most congressional Democrats don’t see this race as being about ideological differences between the candidates.

This I can understand. Jayapal/Pocan/Grijalva are backing Kennedy because of the reasons you already know. They're his colleagues. However, because of what Pelosi is mad about and her past history, I don't believe that she's backing him for the same reasons the Progressive Caucus is.

You didn't see her back Ryan or Gabbard or Moulton for President. You didn't see her supporting her caucus members and backing Loretta Sanchez in her bid for Senate. You didn't see her backing Hanabusa in 2014 for Senate or 2018 for Governor. She never backed Walz either in his bid for Governor.

Pelosi endorsing Kennedy isn't "promoting her caucus" or "business as usual" by any means. It's an extraordinary first step she's taken, especially with regard to competitive primaries. The only one I could find of her "standing up for her colleagues" was Ben Ray Lujan. Even then, he was in a dominant position and had united everyone behind him. When other candidates needed her endorsement, she never answered the call.

It’s about whether (A) Pelosi is the de facto leader of all congressional Democrats even if the Senate flips or (B) whether Schumer and Pelosi are equals.  If Schumer can block Pelosi from meddling in Senate primaries, he’s asserting his own influence and if he can’t then it could make him a de facto junior partner to Pelosi.

I'm not sure you're connecting Point A to Point C, but I can help:

One of Kennedy's attacks on Markey has been an attempt to paint Markey and his supporters as bullies. Ever since that one cancelled Broadway fundraiser, he has attempted to paint Markey's supporters as an unruly mob. In a recent debate, he actually went as far as to cite a tweet from... a random person, implicitly calling on Markey to condemn them. Overall, it's a pretty blatant attempt from Kennedy to tie Markey to the toxic elements of Rose Twitter.

The latest in this line of attack has been to accuse Markey of  attacking the Kennedy family legacy. Lo and behold, it turns out that Pelosi herself admitted she endorsed because of the "attacks" - which are mainly attempts to use JFK's call to action for self-promotion and paint Kennedy as someone of privilege.

It's pretty clear, given the nomination of Kamala Harris, her husband endorsing one of her most toxic supporters, and the lack of scrutiny that the KHive has received, that Democrats aren't applying this standard regarding civility evenly. I don't think I need to explain more of my views to anyone, let alone you. I don't see this line of attack from Kennedy and his supporters as sincere, but as establishment-speak for "this candidate is too close to the left for my liking".

Given what we know, I believe that's the subtext of why Pelosi's backing Kennedy. And that's the hypocrisy of the entire thing, especially as she went so far to cape for crap incumbents like Henry Cuellar.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #799 on: August 21, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »

Disagree. I think the subtext is that Pelosi understandably considers him a friend and an extremely effective legislator. Which is completely reasonable.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies