MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:25:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67716 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2020, 11:13:17 AM »

Those polls that had Kennedy leading were all taken before COVID 19, when the D primary was taken place during ST. There hasnt been any recent polls after Covid 19. I donated to Kennedy, but after Covid 19, I have stopped

Thank you for stopping, King
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2020, 04:31:25 PM »

Those polls that had Kennedy leading were all taken before COVID 19, when the D primary was taken place during ST. There hasnt been any recent polls after Covid 19. I donated to Kennedy, but after Covid 19, I have stopped

You stopped AFTER Covid?! If anything Covid has only further enhanced JK’s argument for why he should be elected Senator...:  I’ve also donated. More to him than any other canidate in my life
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2020, 11:35:23 PM »

So what did JK3's wife think is his worst trait? Such a tease.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »

New Markey ad.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #329 on: June 09, 2020, 03:31:37 AM »

This really is quite a classic senate primary; effective & quiet progressive legislator up against a big name congressman who doesn't actually have anything of substance to say.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2020, 04:09:20 AM »

This really is quite a classic senate primary; effective & quiet progressive legislator up against a big name congressman who doesn't actually have anything of substance to say.

You’re kidding right...

He’s never in the state. He’s the classic case of political professional. Not that he’s been in it for so long but how he actually handles the job. He coasts and drifts until election time and then suddenly he’s full of energy, passion and excitement.

Every day that passes with this race close makes me disappointed in my state more and more.

Kennedy SHOULD be running away with this. But isn’t.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

You’re kidding right...

He’s never in the state. He’s the classic case of political professional. Not that he’s been in it for so long but how he actually handles the job. He coasts and drifts until election time and then suddenly he’s full of energy, passion and excitement.

Every day that passes with this race close makes me disappointed in my state more and more.

I could dispute your first paragraph, but I want to say something else. I mean no personal offense, but you need to understand that the Kennedy name is not what it used to be. Definitely not outside of Massachusetts and apparently from your remarks not inside either.

This race will be decided on merit, on which Kennedy is lacking.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2020, 08:25:26 AM »

You’re kidding right...

God forbid someone on the internet said something you disagree with.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »

I'm sorry, how has Markey been an effective legislator again?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »

Is there any point in me responding? You’ve already posted saying you don’t rate Markey and you don’t rate the Green New Deal so I’m not going to change your mind am I?

Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »

Is there any point in me responding? You’ve already posted saying you don’t rate Markey and you don’t rate the Green New Deal so I’m not going to change your mind am I?

Maybe!  I haven't pored through his record, so there could be some important legislation he's helped pass that I'm unaware of.  I just think it's telling that nothing big springs to mind.

You're right, though, that I'm not impressed by his "Green New Deal"--I'll always see that as a prime example of counter-productive posturing for the rubes of the far left. 
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »

You’re kidding right...

He’s never in the state. He’s the classic case of political professional.

People actually think like this? I always thought this was merely a cheap talking point thrown out by desperate challengers.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #337 on: June 10, 2020, 01:01:27 AM »

Maybe!  I haven't pored through his record, so there could be some important legislation he's helped pass that I'm unaware of.  I just think it's telling that nothing big springs to mind.

You're right, though, that I'm not impressed by his "Green New Deal"--I'll always see that as a prime example of counter-productive posturing for the rubes of the far left. 

Sorry I was short with you for no good reason. BruceJoel sums it up pretty well in a post I've stolen from another thread...

Markey began to lead the charge for environmental protections in the House, so his long record of fighting for the environment is clear as day, especially considering he has a perfect score from the League of Conservation Voters & authored both the 2009 cap-&-trade bill as well as the 1982 Nuclear Freeze Resolution. So to imply that his environmental activism is nothing more than an attempt to get leftists to support him in the here & now is disingenuous & nothing short of an outright lie.

As for other issues, people will obviously have their own interpretations as to whether Markey has been a good Senator. There's no real need to provide evidence for something that's a personal decision. But if you're really more interested in hearing opinions, mine is that Massachusetts needs a strong advocate against climate change, & Markey obviously provides a strong voice in that regard. Warren does her anti-corporate-malfeasance shtick, & together, they're a good duo.

If you want to know about where he stands on the non-environmental issues, though, since you apparently don't seem to take his environmental activism seriously, his commitment to supporting net neutrality was such that he was solely responsible for spearheading the CRA petition which resulted in the Republican-controlled Senate voting to restore net neutrality. And even before the net neutrality debacle, he was already Capitol Hill's premier fighter of the telecom industry, making them earn their massive government subsidies & holding them accountable for not fulfilling their promises.

So, issues wise, he's about as great as you could as for: he's fantastic on the environment, he supports both net neutrality & the internet being treated like a utility, he's helped lead the fight against Trump's attempt to create a culture of terror against our immigrants, & he sponsored a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United.
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

This race is heating up between the candidates and their supporters. Case in point is all of the arguing above ^^^ but also this tweet:

https://twitter.com/joekennedy/status/1271251824813780992

Of course, this will be a close race, but there should be some serious concern for Markey on race. There, of course, should be concern for Kennedy around his "why are you running/Senators do more than vote" response.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »

This race is heating up between the candidates and their supporters. Case in point is all of the arguing above ^^^ but also this tweet:

Of course, this will be a close race, but there should be some serious concern for Markey on race. There, of course, should be concern for Kennedy around his "why are you running/Senators do more than vote" response.

What's this?
Los Angeles Swag Boss
L.A. Da Boss
Rookie
United States

« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2020, 03:42:00 PM »

What's this?

This is a small little snippet from a widely shared anti-Kennedy Globe opinion page:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/10/opinion/its-tvs-best-new-comedy-why-is-joe-kennedy-running-us-senate/

There are a lot of questions about why he's running and his general response is that "Markey has a good voting record, but he hasn't been a good Senator."
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #341 on: June 18, 2020, 07:18:20 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »

We need some polls from this race, this race hasnt seen any polls and neither has KS, MT and ME Senate
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #343 on: June 19, 2020, 12:04:24 PM »

We need some polls from this race, this race hasnt seen any polls and neither has KS, MT and ME Senate

THIS.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #344 on: June 19, 2020, 12:06:02 PM »

Interesting

Though I'd like to see specific opinion of members.

I would hope it went to Markey, and believe so.

At least Ed got the AFT.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »

Debates for this one ar fun to just have on in the background. Just casually making some Kennedy fillet. Kennedy probably wins because of his surname but Markey is running a very effective campaign against him.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #346 on: June 19, 2020, 08:08:03 PM »

Debates for this one ar fun to just have on in the background. Just casually making some Kennedy fillet. Kennedy probably wins because of his surname but Markey is running a very effective campaign against him.

It’s actually embarrassing to both this state and the Kennedy campaign but if I were to bet I would say Markey pulls the upset. Which is frankly ridiculous
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2020, 08:45:45 PM »

It’s actually embarrassing to both this state and the Kennedy campaign but if I were to bet I would say Markey pulls the upset. Which is frankly ridiculous

More like ridiculously amazing! 😎😎
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2020, 08:57:06 PM »

More like ridiculously amazing! 😎😎
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »

If Ed wins that will make my day, truly I will be very pleased
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 55  
« previous next »