Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31
Poll
Question: Which party would you vote for in the Parliamentary election?
PNL
PSD
USR
PRO-ALDE
PMP
UDMR
AUR
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)  (Read 77204 times)
Flyersfan232

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: February 14, 2021, 10:56:32 AM »

New shocking developments regarding AUR - the raving lunatic Diana Sosoaca was kicked out of the party. They claim that it was because they basically got sick and tired of her embarrassing them (her last speech as an AUR member was a weird rant about an international conspiracy with the purpose of mass sterilization of women through the Pfizer vaccine which ended with angry, vulgare shouts at the Senate Chairwoman who cut her off). However, I suspect it was more about Simion getting afraid of her eventually taking the leadership from him as well as her clear opposition to the more sane, PiS-like route in which he wants to take the party. In the leadership councils, no one supported her, because she is...you know, a raving lunatic, however her loyal fans in the country have not let her down and have been quick to rally around their dear leader. She will certainly not go down quietly, and I suspect she may form a new party which will rip off AUR. The question that I am afraid I know the answer to is how many of the AUR voters would vote for a crazy conspiracist party rather than a so-called sane national conservative one. Anyway, we may be witnessing the beginning of the end for AUR.

The government is not doing that well either, given the problems facing the country, the permanent behind-the-scenes bickering between PNL and USR, permanent investigations into how PNL puts incompetent party members into non-political jobs and the onset of austerity. PNL immediately broke their promise to raise pensions by 8% in 2021 and instead froze them. Responding to that situation, the Prime Minister said that he is not bound by the electoral promises but by the coalition agreement. A very popular thing to say indeed.

Is it particularly shocking though? From a party like AUR, it actually seems surprisingly positive and rational lol
It is shocking because no one could have predicted or even imagined this expulsion until it happened yesterday. It was obvious that she will eventually get into a conflict with the leadership because she wanted more power but they dealt with this future threat in a surprisingly quick and blunt manner, especially given her notoriety and popularity with their base.
its look like a smart move. I am also guessing simion is going to run for president?
RGM2609
« Reply #451 on: February 14, 2021, 11:03:11 AM »

New shocking developments regarding AUR - the raving lunatic Diana Sosoaca was kicked out of the party. They claim that it was because they basically got sick and tired of her embarrassing them (her last speech as an AUR member was a weird rant about an international conspiracy with the purpose of mass sterilization of women through the Pfizer vaccine which ended with angry, vulgare shouts at the Senate Chairwoman who cut her off). However, I suspect it was more about Simion getting afraid of her eventually taking the leadership from him as well as her clear opposition to the more sane, PiS-like route in which he wants to take the party. In the leadership councils, no one supported her, because she is...you know, a raving lunatic, however her loyal fans in the country have not let her down and have been quick to rally around their dear leader. She will certainly not go down quietly, and I suspect she may form a new party which will rip off AUR. The question that I am afraid I know the answer to is how many of the AUR voters would vote for a crazy conspiracist party rather than a so-called sane national conservative one. Anyway, we may be witnessing the beginning of the end for AUR.

The government is not doing that well either, given the problems facing the country, the permanent behind-the-scenes bickering between PNL and USR, permanent investigations into how PNL puts incompetent party members into non-political jobs and the onset of austerity. PNL immediately broke their promise to raise pensions by 8% in 2021 and instead froze them. Responding to that situation, the Prime Minister said that he is not bound by the electoral promises but by the coalition agreement. A very popular thing to say indeed.

Is it particularly shocking though? From a party like AUR, it actually seems surprisingly positive and rational lol
It is shocking because no one could have predicted or even imagined this expulsion until it happened yesterday. It was obvious that she will eventually get into a conflict with the leadership because she wanted more power but they dealt with this future threat in a surprisingly quick and blunt manner, especially given her notoriety and popularity with their base.
its look like a smart move. I am also guessing simion is going to run for president?

He might, but in Romanian politics, four years is a lifetime. A few weeks ago, Sosoaca was regarded as the likely next leader of AUR.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »

He might, but in Romanian politics, four years is a lifetime. A few weeks ago, Sosoaca was regarded as the likely next leader of AUR.
so i found out their is a romania mep that is apart of the ecr but not aur had aur try to get him to joined?
RGM2609
« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2021, 06:55:12 PM »

so i found out their is a romania mep that is apart of the ecr but not aur had aur try to get him to joined?
He is not affiliated with AUR in any way - he is a member of a small conservative party that used to govern the country in the late 1990s but now is irrelevant.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2021, 07:35:06 PM »

He is not affiliated with AUR in any way - he is a member of a small conservative party that used to govern the country in the late 1990s but now is irrelevant.
wouldnt be a bad idea if aur try to get him to join them.
RGM2609
« Reply #455 on: April 05, 2021, 05:51:21 AM »

So this thread needs another update - probably for all of us living here to preserve our sanity, there will not be any elections until 2024, at least not any regular ones. Obviously, the vaccination campaign is going about as slowly as it does in the rest of the European Union, and unlike the Hungarian govt, our committedly pro-European one has not ordered any vaccines from the Russians or Chinese, nor are there any discussions of doing so.

Meanwhile, there are somewhat violent protests against masks, vaccination and restrictions organized by AUR and the new Romanian Nationhood Party of Sosoaca and supported quietly by PSD in most major cities. It seems as if my guess that AUR was going to take over a PIS-like role on the political scene and let Sosoaca take over the furthest right part of the spectrum was incorrect, as it seems like they have no plans to move to the center and they only want to be a less psychotic version of their former Senator. Sadly, the current climate is perfect for such extremists to rise, and the opening they got from PSD trying to moderate a bit after Dragnea got arrested will not be easy to close back. But I will take more about what the destiny of AUR and Romanian Nationhood is after we get rid of these horrendous restrictions which obviously only add fuel to their fire.

Not surprising given the situation in the country and the fact that it is a coalition formed of the losers of the election, the government is not doing so great. Especially PNL is having some difficulties, as many party officials are starting to distance themselves from the restrictions if not outright question them publicly. There are also conflicts between PNL-UDMR and USR, as USR does tend to act on its own which annoys the other parties, and the three parties are not as compatible ideologically as one might think. The fact that this coalition is the only possible one keeps them together better than the circumstances would suggest, but just as a reminder, the last government to finish a full term is the Nastase one in the early 2000s.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #456 on: April 05, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »

So this thread needs another update - probably for all of us living here to preserve our sanity, there will not be any elections until 2024, at least not any regular ones. Obviously, the vaccination campaign is going about as slowly as it does in the rest of the European Union, and unlike the Hungarian govt, our committedly pro-European one has not ordered any vaccines from the Russians or Chinese, nor are there any discussions of doing so.

Meanwhile, there are somewhat violent protests against masks, vaccination and restrictions organized by AUR and the new Romanian Nationhood Party of Sosoaca and supported quietly by PSD in most major cities. It seems as if my guess that AUR was going to take over a PIS-like role on the political scene and let Sosoaca take over the furthest right part of the spectrum was incorrect, as it seems like they have no plans to move to the center and they only want to be a less psychotic version of their former Senator. Sadly, the current climate is perfect for such extremists to rise, and the opening they got from PSD trying to moderate a bit after Dragnea got arrested will not be easy to close back. But I will take more about what the destiny of AUR and Romanian Nationhood is after we get rid of these horrendous restrictions which obviously only add fuel to their fire.

Not surprising given the situation in the country and the fact that it is a coalition formed of the losers of the election, the government is not doing so great. Especially PNL is having some difficulties, as many party officials are starting to distance themselves from the restrictions if not outright question them publicly. There are also conflicts between PNL-UDMR and USR, as USR does tend to act on its own which annoys the other parties, and the three parties are not as compatible ideologically as one might think. The fact that this coalition is the only possible one keeps them together better than the circumstances would suggest, but just as a reminder, the last government to finish a full term is the Nastase one in the early 2000s.

Aur leader mention something a couple days ago about running a branch in Moldova.
RGM2609
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2021, 06:03:02 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 06:09:56 AM by RGM2609 »

The first political crisis inside the coalition government is now upon us - following many disagreements with the USR-backed Health Minister, the Prime Minister has decided to remove both him and other USR officials from that Ministry, without informing any of the parties in the government except perhaps for PNL. USR is now in full combat mode, refusing to appoint someone else to be Health Minister, and many in the party demand blood, either by exiting the government altogether or by continuing only with another PM. It seems like this is also a fight between the interests of Dan Barna and Dacian Ciolos,  the ones who are by now openly fighting to be the only leader of the party. Ciolos wants USR to exit the government, while Barna realizes that by exiting he would lose all leverage he has as Deputy Prime Minister and is fighting against that option.

The coalition may be preserved merely because there is no other option right now, and USR will have to put up with this too, but it shows how bad the relations between the partners are after not even 4 months, and I am not sure for how much this will go on.
RGM2609
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2021, 07:13:10 AM »

USR has decided to withdraw political support for the Prime Minister, but not leave the coalition, demanding only for the PM to be replaced.
RGM2609
« Reply #459 on: April 14, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »

It appears as if this whole ordeal will have a rather hilarious outcome - former Prime Minister Ludovic Orban, replaced in December due to pressure from both President Iohannis and USR and now Speaker of the Chamber, will be asked politely to come back and lead the nation. While PNL is for now maintaining their position that the current PM is backed by them, of course Orban will cave to the urgings of the entire society and reluctantly return to power. Lol.

While this is not the official outcome yet, it seems to be the most likely one, but I would not be surprised if this turns out completely differently - Romanian politics are unpredictable. But if this happens, there are several consequences to the crisis -
1. The opposition (both PSD and even more so AUR+Romanian Nationhood) will gain from this electorally.
2. The relation between PNL-UDMR and USR will be even worse, thus any government formed now between these parties will probably collapse once the pandemic is over.
3. Ironically, PNL will benefit in a way from having their actual party leader, who is backed by their membership, in power. Maybe their internal disagreements will be dealt with more efficiently.
4. USR has now asserted their power in the coalition - PNL will probably never walk over them like that until they actually want the government to end.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.01

« Reply #460 on: April 14, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »

Yikes. Orban coming back is an... unfortunate, but not entirely unforeseeable turn of events. How popular was Voiculescu - obviously not among the anti-vax, anti-mask marchers, but among the presumptive government base? How likely is it that Iohannis refuses to give the mandate to Orban?
RGM2609
« Reply #461 on: April 14, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »

Yikes. Orban coming back is an... unfortunate, but not entirely unforeseeable turn of events. How popular was Voiculescu - obviously not among the anti-vax, anti-mask marchers, but among the presumptive government base? How likely is it that Iohannis refuses to give the mandate to Orban?
Not that popular. He was definitely loved by the liberal base before becoming Health Minister in this government, largely due to his record when he served in the same position during the Ciolos govt and his record as a humanitarian activist. However, it seems as if the pressure to both handle the pandemic and reform the system (which involves fighting the deeply rooted mafia from there) was just too much. The media did not help either, they were mad at him for taking away their large government subsidies and did everything to portray him as a bumbling clown. Even the liberals began thinking that he is more concerned about fighting with PNL than doing his job.

If it actually makes it to him, zero. Because at that point, it will be clear that if he rejects this proposal, the coalition falls, snap elections roll around and his beloved PNL gets half of what they got last time. The key is for PNL to accept it - and unless USR totally caves, in which case they would be the mockery of the entire country, the other option is government crisis and, eventually, snap elections or some sort of deal with PSD, both of which would lead to the mentioned halving of their score.

RGM2609
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »

Update on the latest drama in the coalition - USR keeps reiterating that it wants to change Prime Minister Citu, and their violent attacks made through the former Health Minister show that they are not keen to back down. And how could they be, given that they made it so clear that they will not accept Citu to continue in his office, and taking another stance would make them a laughing stock. However, the easy solution for this crisis - Orban coming back to the Prime Ministership, is likely not happening, because the man himself does not want to. He wants to stay in his current position until the PNL Congress in the fall, where he plans to use all the failures of the government against Florin Citu, who wants to run against him for party leader. Becoming Prime Minister now would make the government his responsibility in a very tough period. Staying in the shadows while Citu loses all political capital trying to lure in a more and more aggressive USR before the PNL Congress seems like his plan. So, no easy solution, and either PNL or USR will have to totally cave.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #463 on: April 18, 2021, 02:06:27 AM »

I don't think it's going to happen now, but if it comes to a dissolution of the USR-PLUS alliance, how many deputies belong to each faction?

RGM2609
« Reply #464 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:16 AM »

I don't think it's going to happen now, but if it comes to a dissolution of the USR-PLUS alliance, how many deputies belong to each faction?
It's not happening, they have officially merged yesterday. But, out of 80 deputies, 55 to the former USR and 25 to the former PLUS.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: April 18, 2021, 06:27:29 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 06:35:46 AM by Beagle »

It's not happening, they have officially merged yesterday. But, out of 80 deputies, 55 to the former USR and 25 to the former PLUS.
The formal merger was initiated months ago, wasn't it? And they are keeping the co-chairmanship afaik and we all know that two-headed dragons (balaurs) don't tend to fare very well in the Balkans.

The coverage I've read suggests that Barna is ready to fold - and certainly, as long as USR-PLUS aren't ready to bring down the government over the Voiculescu sacking, there isn't much that they can salvage other than the appointment of Mihăilă - but I'm thinking that there is going to be a political void in the spectrum for people who wouldn't vote PSD or AUR under any circumstances, but disagree with the current government, and sooner or later Cioloș (among others) may be tempted to go their own way. Other than not taking part in the distribution of the EU recovery funds, I really don't see much downside to it (from a pure political self-preservation point, of course).
RGM2609
« Reply #466 on: April 18, 2021, 07:45:52 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 07:50:16 AM by RGM2609 »

The formal merger was initiated months ago, wasn't it? And they are keeping the co-chairmanship afaik and we all know that two-headed dragons (balaurs) don't tend to fare very well in the Balkans.

The coverage I've read suggests that Barna is ready to fold - and certainly, as long as USR-PLUS aren't ready to bring down the government over the Voiculescu sacking, there isn't much that they can salvage other than the appointment of Mihăilă - but I'm thinking that there is going to be a political void in the spectrum for people who wouldn't vote PSD or AUR under any circumstances, but disagree with the current government, and sooner or later Cioloș (among others) may be tempted to go their own way. Other than not taking part in the distribution of the EU recovery funds, I really don't see much downside to it (from a pure political self-preservation point, of course).
Yeah, but the procedures are so complicated that it was only now that it happened. They are not keeping the co-chairmanship, there will be a Congress this year that will elect only one leader, and the competition is already intense.

Barna, I do not think he wanted this to escalate in the first place but was forced by his party - he as Deputy PM quite enjoys his new position while the others in the party are frustrated by the coalition. However, after how much they fought on all TV channels with PNL and how firmly they stated that they do not support the PM, it will be very hard to just drop that stance. They will have to find an honorable exit from the situation. As far as Ciolos goes - if he wins at the party congress, he will probably leave the government with the party sometime next year, if not, well...I am not sure how will he be able to leave and revive his party after so many years spent as a satellite or part of USR.
RGM2609
« Reply #467 on: April 18, 2021, 03:54:22 PM »

Finally, we have some polls in the country -

SOCIOPOL, which seems to be unfortunately the best polling firm right now, has these numbers (the poll was conducted before the crisis)

PSD - 35%
PNL - 26%
USR - 17%
AUR - 12%
UDMR - 4%
PMP - 3%
PRO - 2%

CURS, not that good but the only one conducted after the crisis -

PSD - 33%
PNL - 21%
USR - 16%
AUR - 12%
PMP - 5%
UDMR - 4%
PPUSL - 4%
PRO - 3%
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2021, 04:32:35 PM »

SOCIOPOL, which seems to be unfortunately the best polling firm right now, has these numbers (the poll was conducted before the crisis)

PSD - 35%
PNL - 26%
USR - 17%
AUR - 12%
UDMR - 4%
PMP - 3%
PRO - 2%

PSD - 33%
PNL - 21%
USR - 16%
AUR - 12%
PMP - 5%
UDMR - 4%
PPUSL - 4%
PRO - 3%

Wait, is PPUSL some offshoot from (Dan) Voiculescu's cartel party and why on earth would that be coming back in vogue? Wouldn't the 'humanists' be all in the PSD or ALDE these days anyway?

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I think to the extent that PMP and PRO have any political future at all, it would be as a non-PSD, non-AUR alternative to the present government. Speaking of which, are there any developments worth mentioning about Băsescu and Ponta lately?
RGM2609
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »

PSD - 35%
PNL - 26%
USR - 17%
AUR - 12%
UDMR - 4%
PMP - 3%
PRO - 2%

PSD - 33%
PNL - 21%
USR - 16%
AUR - 12%
PMP - 5%
UDMR - 4%
PPUSL - 4%
PRO - 3%

Wait, is PPUSL some offshoot from (Dan) Voiculescu's cartel party and why on earth would that be coming back in vogue? Wouldn't the 'humanists' be all in the PSD or ALDE these days anyway?

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I think to the extent that PMP and PRO have any political future at all, it would be as a non-PSD, non-AUR alternative to the present government. Speaking of which, are there any developments worth mentioning about Băsescu and Ponta lately?

1. No clue. The obvious explanation would be that they paid for the poll or that Voiculescu has some ties with the polling firm. And the current humanists are either some leftovers/loyalists of the Conservative Party (a former party that was also owned by Voiculescu but went astray once he got imprisoned and merged with ALDE) and some ALDEers who stayed with PSD when that coalition split happened in 2019. I believe they elected a few MPs on the PSD list.

2. PMP, yes, I can see a small possibility there. But who would vote for PRO but never ever vote for the obvious alternative? Anyway, history tells us that once parties get kicked out of Parliament, they stay out. Why? Because the opportunists which are a part of all Romanian parties (and probably even more PMP and PRO) immediately leave for some bigger party, which is an immediate blow for their structures.

3. Ponta still posts regularly on social media and tries to keep himself relevant but the press has bigger things to worry about for now. Basescu has stopped getting involved with PMP as far as I can tell and lets their new chairman deal with it. He is going to be 73 by the time his term as MEP ends in 2024, I think he does not see any use for the extra-parliamentary party that he formed in completely different circumstances and has been sort of dragged along by the times.

RGM2609
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2021, 09:10:46 AM »

Today the first Coalition negotiations will happen, and it seems as if USR has accepted that Citu will not leave his office, but will not drop this demand and replace the Health Minister until PNL gives some important concessions, both policy-wise and some sort of a written agreement that will prevent Citu from replacing their Ministers again. However, PNL, or at least Citu, is unwilling to agree to that. They want to wait USR out until they will drop their demands. We will see what will happen, but the latest threat by the PM to replace more USR Ministers is not helping. There is a severe lack of trust between the parties and this coalition will not have a long life.
RGM2609
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2021, 01:07:14 PM »

The parties have failed to reach an agreement today and will meet again tomorrow, according to sources everyone was forced to put their phones away during the discussion so nothing could get leaked, so nothing is out there yet, but there does not seem to have been any progress towards a conclusion.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2021, 02:50:47 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2021, 03:20:56 PM by Beagle »

Thanks for keeping us updated.
On a completely unrelated note, this viral gif that is making the rounds does not remind me of Romanian non-PSD political parties. Not at all relevant. Nothing pertinent whatsoever.

RGM2609
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »

The main conclusions after today's negotiations:

- PNL and UDMR are as expected rejecting any concessions for USR, both a ban on sackings and a resignation of the PM have been firmly rejected
- USR and PLUS have different approaches - while the former PLUS wants Citu gone or they want to drag the party out, USR realizes they have backed themselves into a corner with their denands and seeks some concessions from PNL to be able to fix this honourably and continue in govt.

The show continues. All participants are, in fact, losers.
RGM2609
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »

The negotiations have started again today, and while any replacement of Citu is off the table, there are still important demands that USR has, such as joint evaluation of Ministers rather than evaluations made only by the Prime Minister, clear deadlines for the reforms, and generally more decisional power for the coalition partners. They also have some policy demands. However, PNL is not willing to give in to all of its demands, but generally, both parties are more willing to discuss and the compromise may be reached today or tomorrow.

Another scandal break out today, and it confirmed what everyone had known already - PNL is a corrupt mess and a wanna-be PSD, as it has now been proven that they used threats and blackmail to replace the forest management officials with party members. This is a tactic that they have used (most likely) in all institutions under their rule.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies