Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31
Poll
Question: Which party would you vote for in the Parliamentary election?
PNL
PSD
USR
PRO-ALDE
PMP
UDMR
AUR
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Romanian Elections&Politics (June 9th - Local and europarliamentary elections)  (Read 77524 times)
RGM2609
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2019, 04:00:40 AM »

What happened in the last few days

Iohannis rejected Dancila's proposals for acting Ministers, accusing her of blocking the activity of the government and said that the only solution is for her to go to the Parliament to take o vote of confidence or no confidence. Dancila threatened to contest the decision to the pro-PSD Constitutional Court, however the Constitution is so clear on this that is hard to see how Dancila's appeal can be accepted.

Meanwhile, Dancila is trying hard to build a majority for herself in the Parliament, by attempting to form a coalition with UDMR and other national minorities as well as break ALDE in pieces. However, UDMR refused any deal and Tariceanu is holding his Party together better than expected, despite PM's desperate attempts at seducing its members with important jobs.

Barna was re-elected as USR Chairman and also candidate to the presidency. 65% of members voted for his re-election and only 31% for his main challenger, Cosette Chirchirau.
RGM2609
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2019, 05:14:32 AM »

ALDE in turmoil, PNL and Iohannis attack PSD

ALDE seems to finally break under PSD's attempts: some leaders attacked the decission to leave PSD for Pro Romania, especially as Tariceanu never got to be candidate anyway. They said the decission was taken by a few persons in the leadership with no consultation inside the party. Melescanu, the one proposed by PSD to be Senate Chairman, was excluded from the party after he took the offer and refused to back ALDE's candidate, Ion Popa. He responded by attacking Tariceanu in a blistering interview.

PNL and the President attacked Dancila today, PNL calling on her to come to the Parliament as soon as possible rather than endlessly delaying the vote, while Iohannis called her proposal to not allow any student with bad grades at the end of primary school to go to high school but to rather go to professional schools as a proposal of segregation.
RGM2609
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »

Today was a big day in Romania: Viorica Dancila finally decided that she will come next week to ask for renewed confidence from the Parliament but said she will not leave the Government even if she loses the vote, as in a weird way of interpreting the Constitution, the fact that the Parliament does not renew its confidence now, it doesn't mean it cancels the confidence it gave her back when she was validated as PM in 2018. This vision, if accepted by the Constitutional Court, will just prolong the sh**tshow, and the opposition would just have to put a motion of no confidence forwards, which if passed will finally throw Dancila and her party out of government.

Rovana Plumb, the women who said Romania is Dragnea's, was sent today as the Romanian proposal for European Commissar, however due to her many controversies I detailed in an earlier post. She is very unlikely to pass the European Parliament due to doubts on her integrity and competence. The 2nd proposal would be, according to the media, Ramona Manescu, the Foreign Affairs Minister and Dancila's shopping friend, as well as the only ALDE Minister which chose to betray and stay with PSD. The young lady is, according to numerous investigations, also involved in schemes of land ceding frauds. It seems like Dancila is proposing only the best and brightest Romania has to occupy this position...

Senate Chairmanship election are happening tommorow and PSD continues to back ALDE defector Teodor Melescanu for the job. ALDE proposed Ion Popa, who is likely backed by Pro Romania too, while PNL, UDMR and PMP are backing Alina Gorghiu. Unlikely anyone will reach a majority tomorrow.
RGM2609
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »

So sorry, Atlas was not working for me the past days. Long story short: PSD elected Melescanu as Senate Chairman and seems to have outplayed ALDE. They nominated ALDE betrayers  for the vacant Secretary positions and are poised to ensure a majority for themselves by absorbing ALDE MPs.
RGM2609
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

President Iohannis rejected to appoint the newly proposed Ministers, saying Dancila is just trying to buy a few more weeks in government, and he will not be part of it. This starts a governmental crisis in Romania, which will probably be solved only by the people at the presidential election, like happened in 2009.
RGM2609
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »

Anyone still reading this?
RGM2609
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »

ALDE is imploding right now: Viorica Dancila is attempting to take as many of its MPs as possible, while Tariceanu threatens everyone who takes the sweet jobs the PM proposes with exclusions. Depending on how many MPs stay with Tariceanu or leave for PSD, the fate of the Cabinet will be decided. The destiny of this party seems to be a split in 2 wings: one to join PSD and one to join Pro Romania.
RGM2609
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »

Dancila proposed a "Deal to ensure the wellbeing of Romanians" to be signed by all parliamentary parties - making them pledge they will not cut the pensions and wages PSD raised. This was criticised as an electoral move by many, PNL and USR-PLUS saying they will sign the deal if Dancila resigns, and Ponta, who becomes more of a Facebook troll with every passing day, has published the e-mail he recieved with the deal, which came from an adress belonging to "Liviu Dragnea's Chief of Staff".

Iohannis had a big rally in Constanta, in which he attacked PSD and Dancila, calling their tenure "the most disatreous since the revolution", and expressed full confidence in PNL's ability to take over once Dancila is gone. He also said he supports Ludovic Orban, a non-personality who somehow ended up PNL Chairman, as Prime Minister. Good luck to get USR and/or ProRomania-ALDE to agree to that!

ALDE continues its path to certain implosion. Gratiela Gavrilescu, former Environment Secretary and ALDE betrayer to take her old job she resigned from a few weeks ago back, caused controversies by saying everything the ALDE Leadership decided during the last weeks, including withdrawing from the government and endorsing Diaconu, are ilegal, despite she herself voting for them. She was quickly excluded from the party, however many organisations took her side.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.01

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2019, 07:40:49 AM »

Plumb has been soundly rejected in committee, as predicted, but what happens now? If the proposed ministers have not been appointed, is there a government that can nominate Ramona Manescu?
RGM2609
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2019, 12:38:59 PM »

Plumb has been soundly rejected in committee, as predicted, but what happens now? If the proposed ministers have not been appointed, is there a government that can nominate Ramona Manescu?
I am not sure Ramona Manescu will be nominated now. There are rumors that she helped misinform Romanian EU officials that the Romanian government is unofficially supporting Kovesi - and I doubt PSD will get over such allegations, even if they are false. Dan Nica might be a more likely option. As for answering your question, I think that as long as Dancila is Prime Minister - she can nominate someone else.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2019, 06:28:45 AM »

I don't think Dan Nica is that much more palatable than Crumb, plus it also disturbs the gender balance that is supposed to be a highlight of the von der Leyen Commission, so his nomination would pretty much be designed to placate the PSD base, leaving the actual filling of the position to the next government. I am hearing that Luminiţa Odobescu has been asked to step into the breach and she might actually be confirmable, what do you think?

EU legislation says that the nomination of the Commissioners is the prerogative of the 'governments' of the states. Bulgarian law, at least, is pretty clear that the government is a collective body, so I was wondering if the vacancies make a nomination impossible, but it seems that you have a different situation.
RGM2609
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:31 PM »

I don't think Dan Nica is that much more palatable than Crumb, plus it also disturbs the gender balance that is supposed to be a highlight of the von der Leyen Commission, so his nomination would pretty much be designed to placate the PSD base, leaving the actual filling of the position to the next government. I am hearing that Luminiţa Odobescu has been asked to step into the breach and she might actually be confirmable, what do you think?

EU legislation says that the nomination of the Commissioners is the prerogative of the 'governments' of the states. Bulgarian law, at least, is pretty clear that the government is a collective body, so I was wondering if the vacancies make a nomination impossible, but it seems that you have a different situation.

From now until the presidential elections at the very least I do not expect nominations from Dancila that can disturb the PSD apparatus. It is a known secret why Plumb was nominated in the first place: she contributed massively to the party's EU campaign financialy due to criminal Dragnea's promise to nominate her as EU Commissar and any backtrack of it, even as the one who made the promise is now serving his rightful punishment, would scare donors away from giving any money to Dancila's campaign, afraid of having the same fate as Plumb. Luminita Odobescu would be a very controversial nomination inside the party due to her vote for Kovesi, disregarding Dancila's indications in the favor of the ones of President Iohannis. So yes, I think Dancila will pick Dan Nica for the position, altho she could go with Ramona Manescu without a massive backlash from PSD. The other political forces also had some proposals (USR proposed MP Catalin Drula and Ponta proposed fmr Commissar Corina Cretu) but they won't be listened to.

On the thing about Dancila's ability to nominate people - as a vote in the Parliament has yet to take place, Dancila and her government did not lose their mandate to fully execute their attributions until such a vote takes place, regardless of the vacancies.
Beagle
Bulgaria

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »

The no confidence vote is on Thursday, so what are the chances it does not pass?

As to the EU commission, Nica was indeed nominated, but does not have the proverbial snowball's chance to be confirmed. Melania-Gabriela Ciot is apparently the 'reserve' nominee, and while I hardly know anything about her, I'd expect the next government will have a nominee of their own, but feel free to correct me.
RGM2609
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2019, 07:24:58 AM »

The no confidence vote is on Thursday, so what are the chances it does not pass?

As to the EU commission, Nica was indeed nominated, but does not have the proverbial snowball's chance to be confirmed. Melania-Gabriela Ciot is apparently the 'reserve' nominee, and while I hardly know anything about her, I'd expect the next government will have a nominee of their own, but feel free to correct me.

I have never ever heard of Gabriela Ciot either, and she is the definition of a dark horse, probably an available compromise if the war with Bruxelles becomes too expensive to maintain. And yes, if the next government is not headed by Dancila-PSD, Ciot and Nica would certainly not be their nominees, but would be withdrawn.

About the motion of no confidence, I'd rate the odds of it not passing at 10%, just because our MPs can easily be bought off, but otherwise the majority is clear.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »

Motion of no confidence has been passed:

Confidence: 4 (lol)
No confidence: 238
Abstentions: 223
RGM2609
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

Motion of no confidence has been passed:

Confidence: 4 (lol)
No confidence: 238
Abstentions: 223
Yeah, basically PSD forbid all of their MPs from voting to ensure they do not betray once they're in the privacy of expressing their vote, hence why all of the absentions. Now the formation of a new government will be very difficult (as you might assume given how tight the no confidence vote was). I view 3 scenarios: PSD-Ponta majority coalition, PNL minority government (maybe including UDMR, ALDE and PMP) or snap elections, however the snap elections can not be achieved in a simple process, the Parliament needs to reject another 2 PM nominees for it to happen, and that might be tricky
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »

Klaus Iohannis nominates Ludovic Orban, the president of PNL, as the candidate for the PM of Romania.
RGM2609
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »

Klaus Iohannis nominates Ludovic Orban, the president of PNL, as the candidate for the PM of Romania.
What a dumb move. Orban is an empty suit, and a former PSD fan until it became cool not to be one. Honestly, I can not see what political platform can unite PNL, USR-PLUS, Pro, ALDE, UDMR and PMP. I'd deem the chances of him failing to win the confidence vote at 75%. The differences are just too big between the 6 parties, especially on judicial legislation, where ALDE is a valiant supporter of the Dragnea reforms, while the other parties are fanatically against them (except Pro and UDMR who are a bit vague), and the election of Mayors in 2 rounds, a proposal of USR-PLUS opposed by UDMR. But probably it'd be better for non-PSD parties if Orban fails the vote - if he suceeds, he will lead a very troubled government, which will open the door for a Pheonix-like comeback of PSD in 2020.
rob in cal
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2019, 01:07:02 AM »

Aren't we avoiding the big question here, can Europe survive having not one, but two Orbans as prime ministers?
RGM2609
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »

Aren't we avoiding the big question here, can Europe survive having not one, but two Orbans as prime ministers?
Thankfully they're not alike XD. We've been ruled by a dumber Orban until a few months ago tho
RGM2609
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2019, 08:25:31 AM »

Street interviews after Dancila failed, with English subtitles, if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIBkEG8pXDw
RGM2609
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 04:32:59 AM »

New poll up
RGM2609
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2019, 10:46:34 AM »

Romania has a new government now, headed by Ludovic Orban (PNL). Presidential election coming in 3 days
RGM2609
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2019, 09:46:15 AM »

Turnout at 16 PM: 36.7%. For comparison, the turnout at the 2014 Presidential election's first round was 35.1% at 16 PM, despite more being at stake during it, and the very emotional 2019 EU election had a 31.2% turnout at the same hour.
bigic
Serbia and Montenegro

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: -7.30

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2019, 11:00:22 AM »

Record diaspora turnout - over 500.000 voters!

My unserious guess - Klaus Iohannis wins over 50%, avoiding a second round
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies