New Federal Electoral Act and Census Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:53:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Federal Electoral Act and Census Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Federal Electoral Act and Census Act  (Read 328 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »

So, looking through statute some weeks back, one thing become me very clear to me: the current Federal Electoral Act was full of holes, contradictions, and stuff that was completely missing. While trying to figure out how to shore it ip, I came to the conclusion that the better option would be to start again entirely with a new law.

In addition, I realized that the federal census, despite being alluded to in the FEA, was never authorized formally post-reser and thus has nothing codified.

So, after some work and revisions, I present drafts of the Federal Electoral Act of 2019 and Census Act of 2019! Special thanks to Truman, Encke, MB, Yankee, Wulfric, and others for helping me out with this.

Federal Electoral Act of 2019 (starts on Page 6)

Census Act of 2019

I encourage you all to read through and point out any potential flaws, I want this to be watertight. Will edit based on feedback and then submit to Congress over the next few days.

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:50:53 AM »

Great bills. This is way overdue.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:29 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2019, 03:31:17 AM by Congressman Dwarven Dragon »

Under what circumstance is a Special for a single seat in the House even held, rather than an Appointment being made?

FYI: Parts of this may have to be amended to reflect changes made by the double posting leniency resolution. Will be handled on the floor.

------

The Census thing needs some slight modification to stipulate that census provisions passed between June 9, 2016 and August x, 2019 will be considered as amending the act. Most prominent recent example of this is the Region Change Grace Period act.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:39:42 AM »

Under what circumstance is a Special for a single seat in the House even held, rather than an Appointment being made?
If an indy/minor party member resigned. Doesn't happen much obviously.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »

The Census thing needs some slight modification to stipulate that census provisions passed between June 9, 2016 and August x, 2019 will be considered as amending the act. Most prominent recent example of this is the Region Change Grace Period act.

Making that modification would defeat the entire point of having everything in one document. I did forget to include the Grace Period provision - I'll add that in now, thanks for catching it - but I'm not going to do a blanket inclusion of past stuff.

With the double posting resolution, the daylight savings stuff, and the major party threshold, I'll add those in depending on what the results of those bills are.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »

For the "All preceding census statute is hereby repealed" part, probably a good idea to say what exactly that statute is.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:19:57 AM »

I'm so happy to see this moving forward! Somehow, in the past three years, we managed to create more inconsistencies in electoral law than in the previous 11 years pre-reset. This is sorely needed and I look forward to many of these problems being fixed.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

In the census act proposal, it says to register:

To register, a poster must post in this thread indicating the state in which they wish to register and their political party of choice.

It could sound that you have to choose a political party. Maybe if it said party affiliation it would large enough to incluse Independent. Or indicate a possibility like, and they may indicate a political party.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »

Are there many modifications in the Federal electoral act of 2019? Things changed or added / left out ?

I see the number of posts requirement for voting is now 10 posts in the 70 days before the eelction (it was 10 times in 56 days).

I don't see the time period to withdraw a candidacy for House (or are we to assume it is included in the deadline for declaration).. It was 72 hours before.
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Act_to_establish_a_72-hour_Window_between_House_Candidacy_Declarations_and_Federal_Elections

A thought I had in reading this:
All candidacy declarations must clearly state the office being sought.
makes me think maybe people who post only "running for reelection" don't clearly state the office.

Is there a law for the SoFE to have an assistant and that person would run the election if the SoFE can't. The electoral law makes the presisent designate the replacement so I guess the President would have to designate the asssitant SoFE. (could be a problem in case of emergency if president in unavailable).
Whenever possible, the Cabinet member assigned the portfolio of federal election authority shall be the administrator of the voting booth. If they are absent or unable to administer the voting booth, then the President shall designate an executive officer to do so instead.

In theory giving advanced notice before election is good but if it is not done in practice maybe we could remove this.
The federal election authority shall give registered voters seven days advance public notice in the Atlas Fantasy Elections board of the hours voting will take place in any federal election.

And we could add the requirement to post sample ballot at least 24 or 48 hours before the election since the candidacy declaration ends 72 hours before the election. It gives candidates a chance to check they are on the ballot, there is no mistake (in name or party) and it gives people a chance to go to Court if they think something is wrong before the election.

The date to take effect is too close and should be after the August election. 
Section 11. Effective Date.
This act shall take effect August 20, 2019.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »

There is a section on absentee voting in the current law. I don't see absentee voting in the proposed law. If so, does it mean it will no longer be legal? A citizen might need this if they go on vacation or will be busy studying, moving  or whatever.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »

A version of the Federal Electoral Act of 2019 was passed by the Senate and is now in the House.

It is here
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=338355.msg6997990#new

If you have suggestions or opinions before it becomes law, now is the time to do so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies