KY-Lake Research: Andy Beshear (D) +15 vs. Gov. Matt Bevin (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY-Lake Research: Andy Beshear (D) +15 vs. Gov. Matt Bevin (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KY-Lake Research: Andy Beshear (D) +15 vs. Gov. Matt Bevin (R)  (Read 3209 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:40:18 AM »

51% Beshear
36% Bevin (incumbent)

Link
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »

Dominating.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 07:01:57 AM »

This poll and the Gravis poll are ca. 25 points apart, despite both being conducted in mid June.

I have heard that both Ds and Rs think that Beshear is currently ahead by about 5% in internal polling though.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »

LMAO
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »

Junk poll.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »

The poll was commissioned by Planned Parenthood, so take with a good pinch of salt. Also:

Asked whether it's important for women in Kentucky to have "access to all of the reproductive health care options available, including abortion," 65% said yes, according to the poll.

Also, 65% said they would have doubts about a law that bans abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, should the U.S. Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 case legalizing abortion.

This seems a bit high for KY, and it makes me think this sample is too D-friendly.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 10:10:42 AM »

I believe Alysia Snell is still responsible for all of Lake's work with Planned Parenthood, which means this poll should be swiftly and promptly thrown away.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »

It will be funny to bump this once Bevin is reelected by ten or twelve points.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 10:44:06 AM »

It will be funny to bump this once Bevin is reelected by ten or twelve points.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »

Among other findings of the Planned Parenthood poll conducted June 4-11:

Beshear has a 15-point lead over incumbent Bevin in the governor's race. Asked if the election were held today, 51% said they would vote for Beshear and 36% for Bevin.

Bevin, who already is ranked as the nation's least popular governor, is viewed unfavorably by 48% and favorably by 38% of Kentuckians polled.This is 14 points better than what he is at in MC. Beshear, the state's attorney general, was viewed favorably by 46% and unfavorably by 38%.
Voters were evenly divided about candidates who vote to restrict abortion, with 40% more likely and 41% less likely to vote for that person.This is the shakiest part of the poll, but I could certainly see it being the case if pro-choicers are more activated.
Planned Parenthood has about the same favorable rating among Kentuckians, at 54%, as Kentucky Right to Life, an anti-abortion group, at 58%, within the poll's 4% margin of error. Considering PP does a lot of other stuff besides abortions, I could see it.
And 86% support comprehensive, medically accurate sex education in public schools that includes information on abstinence, birth control and sexually transmitted diseases.duh
Just 18% said they believe all abortions should be illegal — though another 37% said abortion should be allowed only in "extreme cases," such as for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest or to save the life of the woman. And 43% said abortion should be legal with some regulations.I saw a poll of Kentucky from Gallup that had them at 57% pro life, only 2 points higher than this poll.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

I believe Alysia Snell is still responsible for all of Lake's work with Planned Parenthood, which means this poll should be swiftly and promptly thrown away.

What makes Snell bad in particular, beyond the problems with a PP poll outlined in the thread so far?
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 02:01:15 AM »

Lol. They probably polled Louisville rather than KY as whole
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 03:43:54 AM »

If you think Beshear is only winning Louisville by 15 points you are deranged, but still less deranged than this poll result for all of KY.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 03:56:13 AM »

If you think Beshear is only winning Louisville by 15 points you are deranged, but still less deranged than this poll result for all of KY.

Sure, Beshear will likely win Louisville by 30. I was just mocking this poll

And no, I’m not deranged
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »

Yeah probably a trash poll, but should be taken as yet another sign as to how endangered Bevin is
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »

Not Likely R anymore, Beshear will win
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 02:05:47 AM »

Lol, I want to believe this, but, yeah, not happening
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 03:07:02 AM »

Dems will win KY and La and GOP MS
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »

What makes Snell bad in particular, beyond the problems with a PP poll outlined in the thread so far?

Last I interacted with the firm, Snell was solely tasked with leading their issue advocacy work and strictly avoided consulting for electoral campaigns (often for legal purposes). It does appear that this poll was done for issue advocacy and not for campaign strategy purposes, and the style with which polling questionnaires are written often differ in important ways that can influence the results. I don't mean to disparage her skill as a social scientist - just to point out that this isn't her area of expertise.

Fwiw, it's been many years since I last interacted with Lake Research, but over the past decade or so their client roster has thinned significantly and they've lost many high-profile names. I do know that there is strong opposition to them at the DSCC and they often advise top recruits to hire other firms. No idea what happened, but this is a big change from the mid-2000's when they practically had a name made of gold.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

The poll was commissioned by Planned Parenthood, so take with a good pinch of salt. Also:

Asked whether it's important for women in Kentucky to have "access to all of the reproductive health care options available, including abortion," 65% said yes, according to the poll.

Also, 65% said they would have doubts about a law that bans abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, should the U.S. Supreme Court overturn Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 case legalizing abortion.

This seems a bit high for KY, and it makes me think this sample is too D-friendly.

Those numbers are laughable.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »

LMAO. Did they only poll the registered KY Democrats?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »

If only.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:53 PM »

This poll and the Gravis poll are ca. 25 points apart, despite both being conducted in mid June.

I have heard that both Ds and Rs think that Beshear is currently ahead by about 5% in internal polling though.

So, do we chop the difference between two crap polls?

Do we revert to the mean of Mason-Dixon poll from way back in 12/15/18 with a 45-41 DEM model?

Do we look at the PPP poll from back on 5/7/19 that showed a 49-39 DEM breakdown?

We don't have tons to go one here, but at least Mason-Dixon and PPP seem potentially a bit more reputable, although it does appear that Bevin's favs have been sliding downwards over the past 6 Months, most likely tied with the Teacher's Movement in Feb, that is still continuing....

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/a3byd4/hundreds-of-kentucky-schools-closed-because-teachers-called-out-sick-in-protest-of-gop-pension-bill

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2019/03/20/teacher-strike-sickout-kentucky-jcps-wayne-lewis-names-list/3223587002/

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/elections/kentucky/2019/08/03/fancy-farm-2019-kentucky-teachers-push-bevins-ouster/1744219001/

Kentucky is no stranger to Union Activism, especially when it comes to causes considered just vs unjust....

Looks to me like we have a mixture of SE-KY Coal Country, combined with the largest Metro Areas (Louisville, Lexington-Fayette, some College Towns like Bowling Green, a dash of the Cinci 'Burbs, and huge amount of folks in rural and small town KY as well).

The issue of education is HUGE in Kentucky, since it also accounts for educational parity and equality, and potentially a chance for higher economic mobility, especially in parts of the state that have either been hit hard by economic dislocation, or increases in new opportunities as a result of shifting patterns in the Auto Sector and Parts Industry, where KY has benefited from either a shift to Non-Union plants, or a Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) model where some of the largest mfgs no longer directly employee folks, but instead have large auto sub-contract companies that provide mfg to Engr spec, in some cases with NDA and separate lines for various business customers)

Here's a picture of a Union Tee-Shirt that was gifted to me by a 3rd generation Coal Miner from SE-OH after I brought the UMWA to my College Campus as part of the General Strike in the Appalachian Coal Mines of 1993....

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix