I hereby resign the United States Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:39:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  I hereby resign the United States Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I hereby resign the United States Senate  (Read 1863 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2004, 08:23:39 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2004, 08:24:06 PM by VP Hopefull MikeAssad »

Should Kerry give up his seat if he is going to continue to miss crucial votes?

And should Kucinich, who has not cast a vote since February 9, is going to continue to seek a nomination he dosen't have a chance in hell of getting, do the same?
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 09:31:36 PM »

Should Kerry give up his seat if he is going to continue to miss crucial votes?

And should Kucinich, who has not cast a vote since February 9, is going to continue to seek a nomination he dosen't have a chance in hell of getting, do the same?

Both Kerry and Kucinich should resign if they are not going to perform their duties.  In most places, having a "no show" government job is evidence of corruption.

Dole provided an honorable example by resigning his Senate seat to campaign.  I was dissapointed Liebernman didn't follow Dole's example, and now not surprised Kerry keeps his no show job.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 09:45:29 PM »

Oh course he should resign, but he won't.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 09:48:52 PM »

He is allowed to represent Massachussets by abstaining from every vote.  I bet you that his constituency would support him remaining their senator.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:51:22 PM »

Masschusetts has a republican governor there's no way he's resigning
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 10:24:57 PM »

With the exception of federalist, the comments made so far on this thread have been on the money.

Is federalist a kerry loyalist who mimics his idol by trying to take both sides of this issue?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 12:47:32 AM »

Did George Bush resign as Gov of Texas before his election in 2000?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 12:49:17 AM »

That's not the point he's making, its that Kerry is neglecting his duties as a Senator while he's campaigning.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 01:00:56 AM »

That's not the point he's making, its that Kerry is neglecting his duties as a Senator while he's campaigning.

Ahh ... and Bush did not neglect his duties as Gov of Texas while he was campaigning?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 01:08:21 AM »

Kerry has no real "duties" as senator other than to represent the will of the people of Mass.  He has no duties beyond this, only abilities, like the ability to vote on bills and whatnot.  I think that the people in his homestate want him campaigning 24/7 across the country, so he seems to be fulfilling his duties just fine.

If Kerry was in some other position that required constant supervision, such as presidency or governership, then perhaps it would be different.  I would have to consider it in whatever context in that type of situation.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 01:12:24 AM »

Kerry has no real "duties" as senator other than to represent the will of the people of Mass.  He has no duties beyond this, only abilities, like the ability to vote on bills and whatnot.  I think that the people in his homestate want him campaigning 24/7 across the country, so he seems to be fulfilling his duties just fine.

If Kerry was in some other position that required constant supervision, such as presidency or governership, then perhaps it would be different.  I would have to consider it in whatever context in that type of situation.

His duty as Senator is to represent the people of Massachusetts in the Senate.  If he is not going to vote on legislation important to his constituents, then I would say that he is neglecting his duties and his responsibilites to the people who elected him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 01:13:59 AM »

He is allowed to abstain from every vote though, so long as the people of Massachusetts allow it.  I think his constituents want him campaigning constantly and don't care half as much as you do in New York Wink
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 01:19:55 AM »

Yup, because his job doesn't require him showing up for work unless his constituency requires it through their votes.  It's not quite the same thing as a job at a fast food restaraunt where part of your job contract is showing up for work every day.

If his constituency doesn't care or would prefer for him to be out there campaigning, then what Kerry is doing is acceptable.  If his constituency strongly disagrees with what he's doing by not voting on these bills, then Kerry's behavior is not acceptable.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 09:36:14 PM »

Considering the breakdown of Mass, I would venture that Kerry's boss (the entire state) has no problem with Kerry's attendence (or rather the lack thereof).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies