Gore won in 2000...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:58:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Gore won in 2000...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gore won in 2000...  (Read 9965 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2004, 04:11:57 PM »

Isn't it odd how so many say, Gore won, when he won so many less counties, and Bush won over 30 states! Bush won in what WAS a very Close Race.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 09:57:24 AM »

I know. Your just sucking up Mr. VP NixonNow. Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:21:51 AM »

Isn't it odd how so many say, Gore won, when he won so many less counties, and Bush won over 30 states!

OH MY GOD!  HE WON MORE COUNTIES AND STATES!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh.  Seriously.  If you looked at it that way, he should have won every single state in the US (about).  But guess what!  Some people in those counties actually voted for the other guy!  Weird, huh?  Roll Eyes

Also, note that 'Democratic' counties usually have more voters than 'Republican' counties.

Another thing:

In terms of 2000's EV (how we run presidential elections!  Shocked), Wyoming+Montana+North Dakota+South Dakota+Alaska+Idaho+Nevada+New Hampshire+Utah+Nebraska+West Virginia+Kansas+Arkansas=California.

So, unless you resort to some crude 'every county gets one vote' system, your argument is false.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 02:53:41 PM »

yes, seriously.

it's common sense. the counties and states Gore won had a lot more population. this should be blatantly obvious since most Democratic counties are densly populated urban areas.  every Democrat will always win less counties unless he's winning in a landslide.

why do rural areas votes count more? that's what you're saying if you want to use a BS argument like this. So you're victory as well that Bush would still win because he won more counties? Face it, this argument is about as illogical as you can get.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 05:37:47 PM »

yes, seriously.

Face it, this argument is about as illogical as you can get.

No it isn't. Just you watch. We can get a lot more illogical!

Llamas and monkeys from the moon disturbed the brainwaves of psychic people in Spain, who accidentally caused ballot makers in Florida to make a flawed ballot, which, if used right, EVERYONE would know would vote Gore.

So HA!  Wink Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 02:44:04 PM »

No man, Bush himself voted 50,000,000 times.
No one else at all wanted him
Wink
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »

It is true that we don't elect Presidents by how many counties they won.  It is also true that we don't elect them by the popular vote, and Democrats keep dredging that dead horse up.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 09:45:37 AM »

Bush did not win over 30 states.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »

Isn't it odd how so many say, Gore won, when he won so many less counties, and Bush won over 30 states! Bush won in what WAS a very Close Race.

Most whites voted for Bush. Hispanics were even I think. Blacks were 90% for Gore, I believe. Women also were for Gore.

Women aren't white?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 04:55:37 PM »

Cheesy

But I think I saw the stat that Gorw on white women 49-48%
kfseattle
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 02:18:23 AM »

Anastasio Somoza Garcia, the dictator of Nicaragua from 1936 until the 50s continually ran faked elections to legitimize himself.

In one election, his opponent actually got more votes, so Garcia worked his magic (dictators get to do that kind of thing) and became the winner.

He later said of his opponent:

"He may have won the vote but he lost the count."
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 02:04:48 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2004, 02:06:54 PM by Ben AFDNC Chair »

Roll Eyes

It doesn't matter that Bush won more counties... Gore won the votes of more voters Reaganfan.

Hate to....er....break it to you, but every county has a different number of people in it and nationally more people voted for Gore.

So your little bit of evidence really if flawed...in fact it really really flawed.

That said Bush won of that I'm fairly sure...he just didn't win the popular vote, but that’s not how we chose presidents. However I am sure republican partisans would have cried just as loud if the roles had been reversed. In fact I seem to remember that Rove had laid plans for such an "popular" outcry but that’s by the by IMHO.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »

Bush actually won 30 states, not over 30 states... Tongue
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 07:51:09 PM »

Bush won a majority of counties in New York, but lost the state 60-35%.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 01:07:02 PM »

I have to say on this issue that number of states and counties don't matter unless these states and counties have a lot of people in them.

Gore did win the popular vote, despite some corruption in voting.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 05:55:02 PM »

What you can say is this: Gore's 560000 vote margin over Bush came entirely from surplus votes in NY and CA, not from a half-million plus majority spread throughout the US.

Al Gore really was the president of choice for the bicoastal extremes of the US, and nowhere else (the Upper Midwest outside IL gave him a plurality). A President Gore, if you will, would not have given a crap about 3/5ths of this nation's states.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 06:14:58 PM »

What you can say is this: Gore's 560000 vote margin over Bush came entirely from surplus votes in NY and CA, not from a half-million plus majority spread throughout the US.

Al Gore really was the president of choice for the bicoastal extremes of the US, and nowhere else (the Upper Midwest outside IL gave him a plurality). A President Gore, if you will, would not have given a crap about 3/5ths of this nation's states.

That's certainly true.  Conversely I doubt Bush cares much about those same bicoastal extremes.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 08:29:35 PM »

But he would have given a crap about 48.4/100 people, compared to 47.9/100 for Bush.  Gore Cares.  Smiley
elcorazon

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 10:21:44 AM »

this is the most ridiculous thread ever.  Gore doesn't deserve to be president because he lost more states/counties, won by wide margins in certain areas.  As opebo correctly pointed out, the converse is also true.  Bush won in rural areas; he would not care about cities I guess, by your logic.  Which is more significant to the country, the cities (and areas around the cities) where the majority live, or the rural areas where people are more sparse?  

Yes, I know how the electoral college works, and how the popular vote is different, but jeez, the logic in this thread is truly inane.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 12:41:48 PM »

I have to say on this issue that number of states and counties don't matter unless these states and counties have a lot of people in them.

Gore did win the popular vote, despite some corruption in voting.

Could this be a realistic Republican? Shocked

Good PBrunsel *pat pat*
explorer

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 11:24:58 PM »

You can play games with the numbers all you want. Just like Bush is now with the job numbers. ( he's going to classify fast food workers as manufacturing workers to boost the numbers )
The bottom line is GORE got more votes then Bush. Now having sad that, most people would be very sensitive to the both sides and try and rule from the center. I know I would have know problem pushing my agenda if I had won an election with say 60% of the vote. Bush is the most right wing President we have had since Hoover. He acts like he has some MANDATE from the people, like he got 60% of the vote. He doesn't act like or represent the people like a man who got 48% of the vote. I'm going to right a letter to John Kerry when he gets elected President and tell him if you win by 1 vote, I want you to ram it down the republicans throats. I want him to do just what Bush has been doing, only represent your party extreme. The problem is John Kerry is much to good of a man to do this. I just wish we had some Democrats who knew how to be a nasty as the Republicans can be, like Newt Gingrich and Ken Star.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 03:44:46 AM »

Since land area is so important, I think we should admit Canada as the 51st state, and let them decide all of our elections for us.

If the electoral votes in each state were proportional to population, Gore would have won without FL. Gore won the popular vote. And you really can't say that Bush won FL fair and square.
RReagan4EVER
motomoto4510645106
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 11:20:30 PM »

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0607/3389858_120X90.jpg
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2004, 10:48:34 PM »

Forget the popular vote, that really doesn't matter. What does matter is that thousands of people who intended to vote for Al Gore were tricked into voting for Pat Buchanon, or simply didn't have their votes cast. Blacks were lied to about when the polls would be open, the same stuff that white southerners have been doing ever since 1865.

I beg of all you, go to your local library and pick up a book called "The Unfinished Election of 2000" edited by Jack N. Rakove. Read the sections regarding who was allowed to vote and the voting breakdown. It is a very intersting and HISTORICALLY ACCURATE anaylisis of the whole affair.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2004, 07:16:12 AM »

It is true that we don't elect Presidents by how many counties they won.  It is also true that we don't elect them by the popular vote, and Democrats keep dredging that dead horse up.

Well populaar vote is a significantly more vaid way then country-by county.

State-by-state would work and work well, if the states actually matched their populations. With California having over 500,000 people per EV and DC having 100,000, the system is far from perfect. (I chose two democratic places to be non-partisan, and because they best illustrate the difference. But it still applies to Texas and Wyoming, Florida and Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire...)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies