LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:28:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act (Passed)  (Read 1164 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:48:05 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2019, 12:05:36 PM by Pyro »

Homeless Integration Act

Section I: Homeless aide

1. The Region of Lincoln shall ensure fair housing to the homeless by the establishment of the Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
    a. The budget for the department shall be 0.2% of the annual Lincoln budget
    b. The department shall ensure that the needs of the Homeless are ensured
        I. 30% of the allocated funds shall be designated for nutritional needs of the homeless
        II. 40% of the allocated funds shall be taking care of housing concerns
             1. The creation of public homeless shelters (40%)
             2. Sanitation and inspection control (60%)
             3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent
        III. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs        
        IV. 10% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants
    c. In crowded conditions among a lack of supply, homeless and landless people shall be sent to vacant private housing
            I. Taking up 10% of each building unit
            II. Kicking out renters for room is deemed a breach of protocol
                1. Punishable by a $5,000 fine
2. The Region of Lincoln shall allocate 35% of its Luxury Tax to pay for the establishment of subsidized
    housing for the landless people of Lincoln
3. Any vagrancy or squatting laws affecting public property in Lincoln are hereby nullified
4. Anti-homeless architecture is hereby deemed illegal in Lincoln
   a. Such as
        I. Spikes on public property clearly in reach of a possible sleeping area
        II. Middle handles on benches or other flat space on public sitting arrangements
Section II: initiation

1. This act takes effect on June 28th, 2022

Sponsor: PSOL

The Debating Period has commenced. It shall last no less than 72 hours.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

My only concern with this bill is pegging the budget at 0.2% of the Lincoln budget. What if, after a year or two, we realize the need is far greater and the Department needs more funds? I would hate to see a time when there are homeless yearning for aid but the Department's budget allocation was pegged too low, and they continue to need. I propose the following amendment:

Homeless Integration Act

1. The Region of Lincoln shall ensure fair housing to the homeless by the establishment of the Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
    a. The budget for the department shall be 0.2% of set out in the annual Lincoln budget at an amount that is correlated to the need of the Department but shall never be less than 0.2% of the total spending in the Department
        I. 30% of the allocated funds shall be designated for nutritional needs of the homeless
             3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent
        III. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs         
        IV. 10% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants
    c. In crowded conditions among a lack of supply, homeless and landless people shall be sent to vacant private housing
2. The Region of Lincoln shall allocate 35% of its Luxury Tax to pay for the establishment of subsidized
3. Any vagrancy or squatting laws affecting public property in Lincoln are hereby nullified
   a. Such as
        II. Middle handles on benches or other flat space on public sitting arrangements

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 06:18:58 PM »

Thank you DKrol for your friendly amendment. I am in full support for the financial security it brings to the department set up for this bill.

I honestly expect a lot of debate and friendly amendments for this bill. While I think such portions such as S.I C.IV are overwhelmingly supported and need no change or analysis in this council, other areas of specification and/or debate for change in the fields of the D.P.L. head’s appointment and funding still exist. I do hope that this Council cares about the wellbeing of Lincoln residents, even those marginalized by society. Their well-being is our responsibility after all.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »

Amendment L 3:01 by DKrol to LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act

Homeless Integration Act

a. The budget for the department shall be 0.2% of set out in the annual Lincoln budget at an amount that is correlated to the need of the Department but shall never be less than 0.2% of the total spending in the Department
   a. Such as

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Status: 24 Hours for Objection, Otherwise Added to the Bill
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

If I may, as a citizen of Lincoln. You ought to implement an administration of this to negotiate for-cost or near for-cost food supply and shelter. Of course, we could also attempt to acquire the food bought by federal agricultural subsidies.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 12:32:53 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 12:42:56 AM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

Homeless Integration Act

a. Such as

Sponsor: PSOL

The Debating Period has commenced. It shall last no less than 72 hours.

Anyway gonna go over this bill.

Part 1. Much more reasonable spending amounts. Around 8000 per homeless person in Lincoln rather than spending 100k per a homeless person

However actually ing taking someone's private property and then giving to a likely heroin junkie most likely gonna trash it without any compensation? Whatever forms the 5th amendment in the Atlasia constitution, this is a clear violation of it. Should immediately be stricken.

I guess abolishing vagrancy laws are fine and they unfairly punish the homeless but the squatting laws could have some problems like taking away hidden parts of our regional parks to given as property .

For part 4 I would say that construction of further anti homeless architecture is illegal as it might be too expensive to remove all of it.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2019, 01:14:41 PM by PSOL »

On lfromjs’ points:

With the rehabilitation and vocational programs in place from this bill, I can ensure you that most people would jump on to it. Plus, having anyone—especially families— live on the street while the verifiable abundance of vacant housing is available is not utilizing an easy and deserving solution. How can you stop homelessness, which costs us both in the explicit and implicit, without getting people housing?

Since this bill pays for itself in the long term by trying to lower the amounts of ER visits and serious medical implications, along with having a sizable subset of the population either in school or in training to be working citizens, I find your point on costs mute. Anti-homeless architecture is also unanimously ugly in any sense, so its removal should bring extra beauty to the streets of Lincoln.

I have three concerns with this bill to begin:

(1) This "3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent" is deeply disturbing. Both criteria are subjective, and they will give those in real estate reason to pause before developing/investing in Lincoln.

(2) I have great sympathy for homeless vets in particular, but I think there should be a workfare element to this bill. For those who are of sound body and sound mind.

(3) There doesn't seem to be any specification about legal Lincoln residents. So this bill would potentially forcibly house homeless illegal aliens in Lincoln in vacant private residences?
1. The specific point can be struck down

2. Absolutely not, we already provide enough in the terms of vocational, rehabilitation, and education programs to not need it. It has been proven that workfare is often counterintuitive to the goals of aiding the poor. I am willing to amend the bill to allow vocational training or the standard education programs be mandatory.

3. I would be willing to accept an amendment that bars those without some permanent residency identification be able to use this program. A green card, evidence of citizenship, or a region wide specific amnesty plan would suffice.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 04:01:26 PM »

However actually ing taking someone's private property and then giving to a likely heroin junkie most likely gonna trash it without any compensation? Whatever forms the 5th amendment in the Atlasia constitution, this is a clear violation of it. Should immediately be stricken.

Lol. Yeah, otherwise this bill is both unconstitutional and probably worthy of being renamed the "Make Lincoln Dr. Zhivago Act".

Also, in before "the communists were right to take Dr. Zhivago's house".
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 11:55:49 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2019, 08:06:39 PM by PSOL »

Section I: Homeless Aid

b.
        II.
     e. Entry into these initiatives is limited to those with some sort of permit or documentation of residency in the Region of Lincoln
          I. Unless given amnesty, undocumented persons who have lived less than five years in Lincoln are barred from these services
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2019, 06:56:31 AM by Pyro »

Amendment L 3:01 is added to the bill.

Amendment L 3:04 by PSOL to LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act

Homeless Integration Act

a. The budget for the department shall be set out in the annual Lincoln budget at an amount that is correlated to the need of the Department but shall never be less than 0.2% of the total spending in the Department.
             3. In no way, when faced with crowded conditions and need of supply, shall the government of Lincoln pay for rent.
    d. Entry into these initiatives is limited to those with some sort of permit or documentation of residency in the Region of Lincoln
             I. Unless given amnesty, undocumented persons who have lived less than five years in Lincoln are barred from these services.

a. Such as

Sponsor Feedback: Originator, Friendly
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 09:14:00 AM »

I would reccomend a general thing to keep away anyone who hasn't lived in Lincoln for atleast 1 year. We don't need mass bus tickets here.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »

With no objection, Amendment L 3:04 is added to the bill.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »

I motion for cloture of the discussion on this bill.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

Councilors, a vote is now OPEN on the Motion for Cloture

Should the Council close debate and proceed to an immediate final vote?

Please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain

As per the Standing Rules of the Council: This vote shall last for 48 hours, until all Councilors have voted or until 2/3 of the membership have voted AYE. Councilors may not object to cloture.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

AYE
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »

I support the general idea behind this bill, however there is still more to debate.

Specifically, I believe we should further discuss the stipulations mandating a strict allocation of certain funds to specific uses (40% on shelters, 60% on sanitation, etc). It may be better to set departmental guidelines for funds to be spent on X, Y, Z rather than denoting unmovable percentages.  

Sec. 1-2, in which it declares $2.26B be spent solely on new housing, seems a bit out of place. I would support striking this from the legislation and developing a totally new bill from this proposal. In my view the D.P.L. should be the primary focus here.

Sec. 1-3 is basically already law due to LC 2.48.

I may also amend Sec. 1-4.a to "as such as examples as" in order to future-proof the bill.

As such, for the time being I oppose cloture.

Nay.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »

I'm with the Speaker.

Nay.
NyIndy

Political Matrix
E: 0.25, S: -3.15

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »

Nay
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 03:25:11 PM »

The CLOTURE vote on LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act is now closed.

Aye: 2 (PSOL, Thr33)
Nay: 3 (Pyro, DKrol, NyIndy)
Abstain: 0
Not Voting: 2 (Ishan, Wazza)

Lacking the concurrence of two-thirds of the Council, the Motion for Cloture fails.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »

I am submitting the following amendment to address the concerns of the Speaker.
Homeless Integration Act

b. The department shall ensure that the needs of the Homeless are ensured, these needs include
        I. 30% of the allocated funds shal be allocated to the nutritional needs of the homeless
        II. 40% of the allocated funds shall be taking care of Their housing concerns

III. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for Job and vocational training programs        

a. Such as the following examples

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 06:34:00 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I submit an amendment.

Homeless Integration Act

b. The department shall ensure that the needs of the Homeless are ensured, these needs include
        I. 30% of the allocated funds shal be allocated to the nutritional needs of the homeless
        III. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for Job and vocational training programs        

For Lincolnites with mobility issues or other physical impairments, middle handles on benches and other public sitting arrangements are critical to their use of the bench. I know several Lincolnites who need to use the leverage from handles on both sides of their body in order to get up and down without the assistance of another person. I believe that II,4,a,II would be a disservice to a large portion of our region's population who have such impairments. While I respect the goal of giving the homeless a place to lie down, I think we also need to consider the needs of those among us who are not as fit and able as some of us here may be.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »

Amendment L 3:11 by PSOL to LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act

Homeless Integration Act

Sponsor: Originator, Friendly
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 03:47:08 PM »

Know that I accept Dkrolga’s amendment as a friendly. After the adoption of it, we ought to go for a final vote.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 08:57:32 AM »

Without Objection, Amendment L 3:11 by PSOL is added to the bill.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »

Amendment L 3:13 by DKrol to LC 3.4 Homeless Integration Act

Homeless Integration Act

Sponsor: Friendly
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies