Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:23:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Paul offers to buy Omar a ticket,Omar retweets tweet about Paul's attacker  (Read 2621 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 10:12:31 PM »

Geez.
The GOP just cant get off their "go back to your country" bigotry.

Nope. Not for people who hate it. If you invited someone to your home and all they did was criticize it, sooner or later you'd say, "If you don't like it, leave".
That's all we are saying. Either love it or leave it. There is no gray area.

When you tell American citizens (born in the US) to "go back to your country," because of the color of their skin (because they are not white), that is not the same as "If you don't like it, leave."
Stop trying to deflect Fuzzy Junior.
But you are right about one thing ... "there is no grey area" in all this disgusting GOP talk ... it's 100% bigoted and racist.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »

What a miserable little man.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 10:48:10 PM »

Geez.

Rand isn’t saying that

He most certainly is lol, offering to buy her a plane ticket to go back to Somalia is literally “go back to your country”
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »

Geez.

Rand isn’t saying that

He most certainly is lol, offering to buy her a plane ticket to go back to Somalia is literally “go back to your country”

FYI he meant to say it as a visit to see how bad Somalia is.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 11:40:05 PM »

Flights to Mogadishu are NOT cheap right now.  This is a generous offer.
According to Google, it's $1,383 for a Minneapolis - Mogadishu flight this week, connecting through Chicago and Addis Ababa.

High, but not as high as going to Australia, and only a little higher than places like Istanbul or Dubai.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:23 PM »

Paul finally realized the voters of Kentucky arent voting for him due to their intellectual fervor for his libertarian policies
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2019, 11:56:32 PM by Green Line »

Flights to Mogadishu are NOT cheap right now.  This is a generous offer.
According to Google, it's $1,383 for a Minneapolis - Mogadishu flight this week, connecting through Chicago and Addis Ababa.

High, but not as high as going to Australia, and only a little higher than places like Istanbul or Dubai.

Weird.  Its much more expensive to start in Chicago.  What about from DC?  Maybe she doesn't plan on stopping back in her district first.

Also, she's in Minneapolis so she'd probably rather fly on Delta for the SkyMiles.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2019, 12:16:32 AM »

Ilhan Omar is an "intersectional feminist" who wears a hijab.  She's a walking contradiction.  I don't get why so many people think she offers anything valuable to politics.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2019, 12:23:12 AM »

Ilhan Omar is an "intersectional feminist" who wears a hijab.  She's a walking contradiction.  I don't get why so many people think she offers anything valuable to politics.
Actually, there is an interesting two-sided debate about whether the hijab is a symbol of male oppression or a symbol of free female choice. It really matters where on the globe you're having this argument, but in America for an adult progressive feminist woman I'm going to go ahead and say she views her CHOICE to wear a hijab as something that doesn't contradict her feminism.

Not everything is black and white, and I'm getting REALLY tired of blue avatars refusing to acknowledge the shades of gray.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:43 AM »

Actually, there is an interesting two-sided debate about whether the hijab is a symbol of male oppression or a symbol of free female choice. It really matters where on the globe you're having this argument, but in America for an adult progressive feminist woman I'm going to go ahead and say she views her CHOICE to wear a hijab as something that doesn't contradict her feminism.

Not everything is black and white, and I'm getting REALLY tired of blue avatars refusing to acknowledge the shades of gray.

The concept is that women cause men to lust, so women must cover their hair!  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it's clearly not a feminist symbol.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.  I would respect her if she said "No, I'm not a feminist, deal with it."
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2019, 01:14:43 AM »

Ilhan Omar is an "intersectional feminist" who wears a hijab.  She's a walking contradiction.  I don't get why so many people think she offers anything valuable to politics.

The concept is that women cause men to lust, so women must cover their hair!  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it's clearly not a feminist symbol.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.  I would respect her if she said "No, I'm not a feminist, deal with it."
More blue avatar black and white alternate reality. The hijab is an old symbol that means different things to different people. The "hair" tbing isn't explicitly in the Qur'an. I told you that there are two sides of this argument. Go look it up, don't take my word on it. Upon hearing this, you immediately rejected the reality of the situation (that there are two schools of thought) and stood firm on your baseless idea that "hijabs are anti-feminist period and that's that". You've rejected the nuances of the topic altogether, but you're going to re-affirm your expert "opinion" anyways and tell somebody who has studied both arguments that reality is wrong and your opinion is right.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your view on the hijab. I'm saying that your failure to acknowledge that feminists wear the hijab is evidence that you aren't interested in reality, facts, evidence. You should make that point clear from the get-go so that real-world people don't waste their time trying to reason with you.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:14 AM »

Flights to Mogadishu are NOT cheap right now.  This is a generous offer.

Makes sense that it would be cheaper from Minneapolis. Lots of Somalis there; economies of scale and stuff.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2019, 01:33:12 AM »

The concept is that women cause men to lust, so women must cover their hair!  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it's clearly not a feminist symbol.

The woman in the teal with a white hijab sums it up fairly quickly and accurately.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 01:52:21 AM »

It's not like Omar looks for political publicity on the national stage. But let us be real here....did anyone really think the GOP was going to pass up on not using a black Muslim female wearing a hijab Democratic representative as red meat for their ''how dare you call us racist'' base? The bait was just mighty too tasty.
Insomnian
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.40

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2019, 02:03:29 AM »

Gross, Rand Paul's an anti-war libertarian, he should know better that America needs to stop dropping toxic waste onto foreign countries.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2019, 02:05:44 AM »

Ilhan Omar is an "intersectional feminist" who wears a hijab.  She's a walking contradiction.  I don't get why so many people think she offers anything valuable to politics.

I find it hilarious in many ways actually , as yes the hijab and feminism contradicts feminism in so many ways
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 02:42:30 AM »

I find it hilarious in many ways actually , as yes the hijab and feminism contradicts feminism in so many ways
I didn't know you were so knowledgeable about feminism and islam. This is a whole new side of you I never noticed. If I have any difficult questions about the patriarchy or sharia I will seek your expert knowledge.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 08:08:45 AM »

Don't call Naso Fuzzy Jr. Fuzzy has a heart, despite his constant whataboutery, while Naso embraces open bigotry.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »

Don't call Naso Fuzzy Jr. Fuzzy has a heart, despite his constant whataboutery, while Naso embraces open bigotry.

I can buy that.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »

My question here is: who the hell are you two to be deciding what a hijab means to its wearers and what feminism means to these women? You think that you know everything, that you can "correct" the way these women think and approach their cultural traditions, that you can criticize them when you have no conception of their perspective. And, even if they tried to explain, you'd dismiss and speak over them, "explaining" to them that, "ahktually, you don't know what the hijab means or feminism. But I, a man not from your cultural background, am here to enlighten you and explain to your simple, female, Muslim minds how what you're doing is a contradiction!"
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 11:12:27 AM »

I support politicians becoming violent again. Elections should be decided by combat.

So you'd like Joe Biden to beat the heck out of schoolyard bully Trump?

I'd personally love to see a fist fight or duel between the two.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »

Paul finally realized the voters of Kentucky arent voting for him due to their intellectual fervor for his libertarian policies

Yes, every Republican in Kentucky is a closet Klansmen that votes the way they do purely because they hate non-whites. Its definitely not for ancestral reasons (South-Central KY), anti-tax reasons (suburbs and urban areas), dissatisfaction with the Democratic coal and trade policy (East KY) and agricultural reasons (the rest of the state)...
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »

The concept is that women cause men to lust, so women must cover their hair!  I'm not saying it should be illegal, but it's clearly not a feminist symbol.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.  I would respect her if she said "No, I'm not a feminist, deal with it."
More blue avatar black and white alternate reality. The hijab is an old symbol that means different things to different people. The "hair" tbing isn't explicitly in the Qur'an. I told you that there are two sides of this argument. Go look it up, don't take my word on it. Upon hearing this, you immediately rejected the reality of the situation (that there are two schools of thought) and stood firm on your baseless idea that "hijabs are anti-feminist period and that's that". You've rejected the nuances of the topic altogether, but you're going to re-affirm your expert "opinion" anyways and tell somebody who has studied both arguments that reality is wrong and your opinion is right.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your view on the hijab. I'm saying that your failure to acknowledge that feminists wear the hijab is evidence that you aren't interested in reality, facts, evidence. You should make that point clear from the get-go so that real-world people don't waste their time trying to reason with you.

I acknowledge that some feminists wear the hijab, just like how I acknowledge that some Muslims eat bacon.  People act in ways that contradict their beliefs all the time.

I've done a fair amount of research on Islam, and have since at least high school.  I understand that the Quran isn't 100% clear on how exactly to dress modestly.  The command to wear the veil comes from the Hadith:

'A'isha reported that the wives of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) used to go out in the cover of night when they went to open fields (in the outskirts of Medina) for easing themselves. 'Umar b Khattab used to say:

Allah's Messenger, ask your ladies to observe veil, but Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) did not do that. So there went out Sauda, daughter of Zarn'a, the wife of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ), during one of the nights when it was dark. She was a tall statured lady. 'Umar called her saying: Sauda, we recognise you. (He did this with the hope that the verses pertaining to veil would be revealed.) 'A'isha said: Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, then revealed the verses pertaining to veil.

-Sahih Muslim 26:5397

So basically, Mohammed didn't think women should need to wear the veil but Umar pestered him until he received a revelation that women must be veiled.

In the Middle East, women are either forced to wear a hijab (or something more restrictive) by law or by social custom.  In the Middle East, the people fighting for women's rights are the ones fighting against the hijab.  Feminism teaches that women and men should have the same treatment in society.  Having women wear hijabs, but not men, contradicts that.  The increase in women wearing veils coincides with the rise of more fundamentalist interpretations of Islam.

Of course, people have every right to wear a hijab, because there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »

In the Middle East, women are either forced to wear a hijab (or something more restrictive) by law or by social custom.  In the Middle East, the people fighting for women's rights are the ones fighting against the hijab.  Feminism teaches that women and men should have the same treatment in society.  Having women wear hijabs, but not men, contradicts that.  The increase in women wearing veils coincides with the rise of more fundamentalist interpretations of Islam.

Of course, people have every right to wear a hijab, because there's nothing wrong with not being a feminist.

This
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »

Exactly. If a woman is being forced to wear a hijab or whatever else by her government or a man, that's bulls***, but if she sees it as a symbol of her agency and religious expression in choosing to wear it, then it's fine. It's not that complicated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies