Trump’s a racist. Example 13,674,939,251
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 10:29:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump’s a racist. Example 13,674,939,251
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Trump’s a racist. Example 13,674,939,251  (Read 4764 times)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »

The issue here is not Baltimore itself. It’s that Cummings represents a suburban upper class district but Trump assumes because he’s black he has to represent some ghetto district

Who represents "some ghetto district" in baltimore then?
West Baltimore in 2019 is not Warsaw in 1941, and to compare the two is ludicrous. Yes, parts of Baltimore are struggling and have been ignored by politicians on both sides of the aisle (including Governor Hogan, a Republican). That is indisputable and sad, and needs to change immediately. A number of my friends and acquaintances are West Baltimore born and raised, and seeing the President of the United States talk sh*t about them over twitter while also not doing anything to help people like them is also sad and needs to change immediately.

Of course, you could just be using "ghetto" as a synonym for "majority-black," which would be problematic as hell.

Also, Rep. Cummings represents Columbia, MD, which is usually on those "best places to live in America" lists. It was also purposefully designed as a racially integrated neighborhood in the 1960's, so that's cool.

Also also, the President is casting value judgements about several hundred thousand Americans. If he doesn't like America, he's free to leave!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »

The issue here is not Baltimore itself. It’s that Cummings represents a suburban upper class district but Trump assumes because he’s black he has to represent some ghetto district

West Baltimore in 2019 is not Warsaw in 1941, and to compare the two is ludicrous. Yes, parts of Baltimore are struggling and have been ignored by politicians on both sides of the aisle (including Governor Hogan, a Republican). That is indisputable and sad, and needs to change immediately. A number of my friends and acquaintances are West Baltimore born and raised, and seeing the President of the United States talk sh*t about them over twitter while also not doing anything to help people like them is also sad and needs to change immediately.

Of course, you could just be using "ghetto" as a synonym for "majority-black," which would be problematic as hell.

Also, Rep. Cummings represents Columbia, MD, which is usually on those "best places to live in America" lists. It was also purposefully designed as a racially integrated neighborhood in the 1960's, so that's cool.

Also also, the President is casting value judgements about several hundred thousand Americans. If he doesn't like America, he's free to leave!

What did Hogan specifically do?

What I mainly found is that he refused to send more money to Baltimore schools without a corruption investigation.
FYI Baltimore schools are some of the best funded in the country. He was right to refuse more funds to these schools as its clear that just burning money is not an effective way to improve Baltimore schools.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »

What I mainly found is that he refused to send more money to Baltimore schools without a corruption investigation.
FYI Baltimore schools are some of the best funded in the country. He was right to refuse more funds to these schools as its clear that just burning money is not an effective way to improve Baltimore schools.
He not only didn't give Baltimore more money for schools, he cut the budget by $42 million.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2019, 08:02:06 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2019, 08:17:34 PM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

He not only didn't give Baltimore more money for schools, he cut the budget by $42 million.

Out of like 1.3 billion. It's still like the 2nd or 3rd highest in the state and like 3rd highest in the 100 largest school districts in the country. Hogan may not have stopped the Baltimore school problem but he atleast prevented wasting taxpayers money through a blackhole.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

I love Philadelphia, but I can also be angry that the streets smell like urine and most neighborhoods are cockroach infested wastelands where I feel the need to dash through after 1 or 2 AM and many other problems I would prefer not to have here. European colleagues visit and tell me it's embarrassing that the cities are in such disarray. I have no means of comparison, but I do think living conditions are clearly suboptimal.

I was there in late September during a heatwave. Smelled fine. Didn't see roaches, felt safe at night. 'I DON'T FEEL SAFE IN THE CITY' is such a weird Americanism and even worse when MAGAmedia try and tell Europeans that we shouldn't feel safe in cities from London to Malmo that you've never even visited.

This is absurd to compare a short tourist or business visit to someone who actually lived there. Use stats to disprove his argument, not your anecdotal evidence as a tourist. Also FWIW heatwaves actually bring down crime.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »

Too funny...

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »

Too funny...

Those rat traps at the White House are not big enough.
If the editorial board of the Baltimore Sun is correct when essentially saying that "the vermin resides in the White House," well how is that oversized, dirty Orange rat suppose to fit in there?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »

Is Trump trying to be hypocritical lol, it happens so often (at least there's one thing Trump is tremendous at and winning with).
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2019, 01:03:49 AM by DeadPrez »

1. Baltimore is a dangerous city
2. Yes, both parties suck. That isn't the topic of discussion here
3. Well the district has massive poverty and borderline 3rd world living conditions
4. No, i used your words and asked you a question about "ghetto district"
5. Cummings represents the district with the lowest median income in Baltimore. It's also mostly black.
6. Politicians cast value judgments about Americans all the time
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »

The President of the United States would never insult a major American city if there was a popular vote. Another reason to get rid of the Electoral College, which makes it so that, although the President is supposedly the President of the entire nation, certain areas are not a part of his constituency and he can insult with impunity. This sort of thing is utterly unnatural for a national leader, one who is a supposed nationalist or patriot.

This is an insane argument.

Beet isn't wrong here.  But in our present system, lobbing verbal bombs at Elijah Cummings is good politics.

We're nothing like Britain.  Winston Churchill, the "Man of the Century" referred to Labor Party leader Stafford Cripps as "Stifford Crapps".
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2019, 01:05:08 AM »

The President of the United States would never insult a major American city if there was a popular vote. Another reason to get rid of the Electoral College, which makes it so that, although the President is supposedly the President of the entire nation, certain areas are not a part of his constituency and he can insult with impunity. This sort of thing is utterly unnatural for a national leader, one who is a supposed nationalist or patriot.

Beet isn't wrong here.  But in our present system, lobbing verbal bombs at Elijah Cummings is good politics.

We're nothing like Britain.  Winston Churchill, the "Man of the Century" referred to Labor Party leader Stafford Cripps as "Stifford Crapps".

We should get rid of the electoral college? Additionally, politicians don't insult areas not apart of their constituency?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2019, 01:27:37 AM »

Mr. Drumpf, we get it, you're a horrible person.

Does he even know a congressman is not head of local law enforcement? Wouldn't surprise me after he endorsed GA SoS candidate for being "strong at the border and with vets". Our prez is a laughingstock.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2019, 04:36:40 AM »

He wasn't the Labour Party leader and the moniker became popular because of a BBC presenter mistake.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »

We should get rid of the electoral college? Additionally, politicians don't insult areas not apart of their constituency?

I'm for abolishing the Electoral College, all things considered.  I do think that a degree of the issues with Donald Trump would be lessened if Trump had won the popular vote.  He not only did not win it; he lost it by a margin that would normally indicate a solid victory for the other party.  Aside from policy disagreements, the fact that Donald Trump lost the popular vote by whatever number Harry uses for his moniker is (almost 3 million) is a big deal. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »

Question: Does Trump incorrectly believe that Elijah Cummings is the Mayor of Baltimore?

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »

3. Well the district has massive poverty and borderline 3rd world living conditions
5. Cummings represents the district with the lowest median income in Baltimore. It's also mostly black.

1. Never said it wasn’t
2. Alright
3a. I have been to west Baltimore. I have also been to fishing villages in the Dominican Republic, for instance, which would be considered the “third world” by some. I would choose to live in West Baltimore 112% of the time if those were my two options. Despite what Bernie may say, Baltimore is not remotely comparable to a third world country. I have a feeling you’ve never been to either Baltimore nor a third world country.
3b. Last I checked, the poverty rate for MD-07 was about 12%. That’s not “massive” poverty.
4. Not my words. I jumped in the conversation because I saw two people discussing my hometown as being comparable to the places Nazis forced the Jews to live in Eastern Europe.
5. You’re right that it’s almost 60% black, but median income in MD-07 is almost $61,000, which is above the national median income. I can’t find data on median income for just the Baltimore portion of the district, though.
6. Yes they do. When republicans imply that poor people like some of the people whom Cummings represents are of a lower intrinsic worth than people who aren’t poor, people defend the Republicans, while if Democrats even do so little as to criticize the obviously deeply flawed American healthcare system, they HATE AMERICA and should “go back to where they came from.”
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »

Question: Does Trump incorrectly believe that Elijah Cummings is the Mayor of Baltimore?

I guess #Blexit is real everybody.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »

How many congresspeople of color does Trump have to specifically attack in racialized terms before Republicans admit that he's a racist?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

About Baltimore's problems...

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2019, 12:23:13 PM »

Joe Scarborough today delivered the very best response to Trump's attacks on Cummings, directly addressed at Individual 1 and congressional Republicans who stay silent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKKo3R_N9G0
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »

1. Never said it wasn’t
2. Alright
3a. I have been to west Baltimore. I have also been to fishing villages in the Dominican Republic, for instance, which would be considered the “third world” by some. I would choose to live in West Baltimore 112% of the time if those were my two options. Despite what Bernie may say, Baltimore is not remotely comparable to a third world country. I have a feeling you’ve never been to either Baltimore nor a third world country.
3b. Last I checked, the poverty rate for MD-07 was about 12%. That’s not “massive” poverty.
4. Not my words. I jumped in the conversation because I saw two people discussing my hometown as being comparable to the places Nazis forced the Jews to live in Eastern Europe.
5. You’re right that it’s almost 60% black, but median income in MD-07 is almost $61,000, which is above the national median income. I can’t find data on median income for just the Baltimore portion of the district, though.
6. Yes they do. When republicans imply that poor people like some of the people whom Cummings represents are of a lower intrinsic worth than people who aren’t poor, people defend the Republicans, while if Democrats even do so little as to criticize the obviously deeply flawed American healthcare system, they HATE AMERICA and should “go back to where they came from.”
3. Well yes, some third world countries are better than others. DR is better than Haiti...Haiti is better than Somalia...You have clearly never visited impoverished communities if you are really comparing a nice area in the DR to a poor area in baltimore.
5. The income might be higher but that doesn't reflect the value of the dollar in that city.
6. Um ok
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »

1. Never said it wasn’t
2. Alright

See guys all we have to do to fix Baltimores problems when someone calls it bad is to attach it to the 3rd wealthiest county in the country. Baltimores median income FYI is 25000 although it could be different within that part of the city itself. Also is that 61k for median household or median by individual.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »

How many congresspeople of color does Trump have to specifically attack in racialized terms before Republicans admit that he's a racist?

If they don't repudiate Trump over insulting someone as uncontroversial, and typically respected as Cummings, they won't repudiate anything he says about any member of Congress. Seriously, are they going to hide behind the "he's tying the Democratic Party to them" response here? Oh the horror, the Democrats are associated with Elijah Cummings! Trump re-election imminent!
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »

God, this thread has gone to sh!t.  What do Baltimore's problems have anything to do with what the President said?  Like I get that this is.a forum full of mostly white upper-middle class suburbanites, but the racial blind spots and much of the #analysis here really is embarrassing.

I know it's trite to keep saying this, but #imagineifObama had said this about any district in the USA. Republicans would have shrieked for months about how unpatriotic and anti-American he was.

And this can't be stressed enough.

Where are all our blue avatar friends who lecture on and on about 'civility' on the forum denouncing these comments?

Peaceful bootlickers, please refudiate!
Insomnian
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.40

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2019, 01:36:20 AM »

I was in Philadelphia for a week and had some old guy following me in his van, then he tried to ask me to get in and take a ride with him. I sh!t you not.

The point isn't that these places don't have major problems, it's that neither party is currently interested in fixing these problems. But as I said, Trump feels no responsibility for the place since it's not in a "swing state." It's a problem of leaders not being accountable, which allows these areas to go to junk. The Democrats are no better.

To be quite fair, Philadelphia is in a swing state.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies