Trump Pressures WTO to change China’s developing nation status
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:01:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Pressures WTO to change China’s developing nation status
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump Pressures WTO to change China’s developing nation status  (Read 251 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 26, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »
« edited: July 26, 2019, 03:48:09 PM by Old School Republican »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/454932-trump-calls-on-wto-to-reform-developing-country-status-used-by-china%3famp

President Trump wants the World Trade Organization (WTO) to prevent countries like China from labeling themselves "developing," arguing that some member nations are abusing that status to operate under more lenient rules.

Trump issued a memo directing U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to use "all available means" to secure changes to WTO policy toward developing countries.

Without progress in the next 90 days, the Trump administration said it will unilaterally ignore a country's "developing status" and reject its membership in the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.

If the WTO doesn’t do this then the US needs to reestablish control and force the WTO to do it . China needs to be reigned in completely and it has to happen right now  .

On the China issue I agree with Trump 100% and hope he doesn't back down one bit 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/finance/454932-trump-calls-on-wto-to-reform-developing-country-status-used-by-china%3famp

President Trump wants the World Trade Organization (WTO) to prevent countries like China from labeling themselves "developing," arguing that some member nations are abusing that status to operate under more lenient rules.

Trump issued a memo directing U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to use "all available means" to secure changes to WTO policy toward developing countries.

Without progress in the next 90 days, the Trump administration said it will unilaterally ignore a country's "developing status" and reject its membership in the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.

If the WTO doesn’t do this then the US needs to reestablish control and force the WTO to do it . China needs to be reigned in completely and it has to happen right now  .

On the China issue I agree with Trump 100% and hope he doesn't back down one bit 

If trump was actually good on China he would have signed the tpp.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »

I agree but the actions he’s taken other than that have worked , China’s economic growth has slown to its lowest level since the 90s while our economy continues to be strong . If the trend continues then it’s clear the Chinese have more to lose than the US does
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »

I agree but the actions he’s taken other than that have worked , China’s economic growth has slown to its lowest level since the 90s while our economy continues to be strong . If the trend continues then it’s clear the Chinese have more to lose than the US does

The U.S. economy is slowing too.  Last quarter's GDP came in at 2.1% growth, and Q4 of last year has now been revised downward from 3% to 2.5.  Goldman Sachs has just lowered their Q3 forecast to 1.7. The tariffs have hurt both countries, but really a slowdown was inevitable at this stage of the business cycle.

Another data point in the new GDP report: business investment (something the tax cut was supposed to boost) actually declined by 0.6%, the worst since early 2016.

I'm pretty sure that Trump and/or his advisers claimed that his policies would lead to sustained 3% growth, maybe even 4%, throughout his term.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »

Having a country with the second biggest economy by GDP, and the biggest by PPP, as a "developing" one" is geopolitical and economic s**tposting.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »

I agree with this 100%. Sadly Trump's China strategy is implementing useless tarriffs.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »

I agree with this 100%. Sadly Trump's China strategy is implementing useless tarriffs.

We need TPP+ Tarrifs. The fact is China has bene waging a trade war against US since at least 2000 and it is time that we fight back and fight back hard.  Jamie Dimon has also said the Tarrifs are needed as well

https://articles2.marketrealist.com/2019/05/why-is-jamie-dimon-supporting-trump-on-tariff-threats/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jamie-dimon-donald-trump-china-120003146.html

Asked about the president’s use of tariffs, Dimon said: “I have to confess I wouldn't have done it.” Dimon says he would have preferred marshaling U.S. allies to square off against China, but now believes tariffs have been effective in helping to force China to negotiate

I also think we should threaten to implement Mark Cuban's Plan as well

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-cuban-china-trade-war-trump-130539755.html
I'd shut down all Chinese IPOs—that's the first step,” says Cuban, a billionaire entrepreneur and host of the show “Shark Tank.” “Given [Trump’s] propensity for using Twitter and throwing warning shots, I would throw out there that we might put a halt on the trading of Chinese-listed stocks in the United States.”

“A trading halt would certainly create a lot of disruption for those Chinese companies,” adds Cuban, who’s considering an independent run for president in 2020.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies