In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:19:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power  (Read 2221 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: July 24, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/news/in-colorado-and-other-states-republicans-see-recalls-as-a/article_32279142-abeb-11e9-827f-3fc6910ccf58.amp.html

Republicans frustrated by losing their grip on political power in Colorado and some other Western states have begun deploying a new weapon: the recall.

[...]

In 2018, they recalled a freshman state senator in California as a way to temporarily undo a Democratic supermajority.

That same year in Nevada, two Democratic lawmakers and an allied independent fended off recall attempts.

In Oregon, Republicans are pursuing a recall of Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, who was re-elected last year, after GOP lawmakers walked out of the Senate to try to block votes on climate change and education bills.

Colorado, where Democrats control both houses of the legislature and the governor's office, is seeing its highest level of recall activity since 2013, when two Democratic lawmakers lost their seats for supporting gun control legislation and a third facing recall resigned.

Recall campaigns are targeting Democratic Gov. Jared Polis, two Democratic state House members and two Democrats in the state Senate. Recall committees have been formed for other lawmakers, and the GOP's top-ranking officials have encouraged the efforts.

"It's our constitutional right to recall," insisted Nancy Pallozzi, a Republican from the Denver suburb of Lakewood, who is leading an effort against state Sen. Brittany Pettersen, who soundly defeated Pallozzi in a 2016 state House election. "We can't wait for new [GOP] candidates to be vetted for the next election. Three more years for the governor? And three more years for Brittany? No."

In Nevada, a group of conservatives say they're preparing a recall effort against first-term Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak, who signed a law, passed by the Democratic-controlled Legislature, adding restrictions to the recall process.

Oregon Republican Party Chairman Bill Currier filed paperwork to recall Brown based on what he called the governor's failure to honor the will of the voters and her "politically-motivated agendas." Currier did not return multiple inquiries seeking elaboration.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »

Recall elections should be banned. We have elections for reason. if you can;'t win a the ballot box tough. run better candidates

There really just needs to be more restrictions on it if it continues to be abused - perhaps a requirement that at least 60% of the public votes against the incumbent, which is a high bar, but perhaps necessary. Or require a very large number of signatures on the petition.

The recall process is useful and it's really a shame that it's being abused en masse and actually becoming a national strategy to try to overturn election results. I get individual instances, even Democrats have done that, but this is getting to be excessive and a waste of public resources to essentially re-run elections.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

Recalling based on basic policy differences is too much of a slippery slope. At this point, I think the few I would be OK with it for is gerrymandering, voter suppression and things like that (in addition to criminal acts and such). Otherwise, I don't know where it ends. The only reason I think gerrymandering / etc deserve to be a reason is because they are acts designed to entrench the ruling party's power no matter what the election result is. That is fundamentally at odds with free and fair elections. Also, I'm a little less judgy with recall efforts executed with no party support and those that do have official support. I mean, if your party's strategy includes using recalls to try and have do-over elections just for power's sake, you're just corrupting the system for partisan reasons.

Although, admittedly these new recall efforts by Republicans are extraordinarily weak on the merits and amount to nothing more than "they are DEMOCRATS! we can't wait!"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:07 PM »

That was different because Scott Walker was bad and Wisconsin was a titanium Democrat state.

Still crazy to me that there's no effort to recall the guy who admitted to basically being a huge racist in multiple different ways, which is one of the very few things I think probably could be worth an attempt. But maybe there's something I'm unclear about regarding the Virginia Constitution.

Voters cannot initiate a recall of an elected official in Virginia
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies