In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:47:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power  (Read 2177 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/news/in-colorado-and-other-states-republicans-see-recalls-as-a/article_32279142-abeb-11e9-827f-3fc6910ccf58.amp.html

Republicans frustrated by losing their grip on political power in Colorado and some other Western states have begun deploying a new weapon: the recall.

[...]

In 2018, they recalled a freshman state senator in California as a way to temporarily undo a Democratic supermajority.

That same year in Nevada, two Democratic lawmakers and an allied independent fended off recall attempts.

In Oregon, Republicans are pursuing a recall of Democratic Gov. Kate Brown, who was re-elected last year, after GOP lawmakers walked out of the Senate to try to block votes on climate change and education bills.

Colorado, where Democrats control both houses of the legislature and the governor's office, is seeing its highest level of recall activity since 2013, when two Democratic lawmakers lost their seats for supporting gun control legislation and a third facing recall resigned.

Recall campaigns are targeting Democratic Gov. Jared Polis, two Democratic state House members and two Democrats in the state Senate. Recall committees have been formed for other lawmakers, and the GOP's top-ranking officials have encouraged the efforts.

"It's our constitutional right to recall," insisted Nancy Pallozzi, a Republican from the Denver suburb of Lakewood, who is leading an effort against state Sen. Brittany Pettersen, who soundly defeated Pallozzi in a 2016 state House election. "We can't wait for new [GOP] candidates to be vetted for the next election. Three more years for the governor? And three more years for Brittany? No."

In Nevada, a group of conservatives say they're preparing a recall effort against first-term Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak, who signed a law, passed by the Democratic-controlled Legislature, adding restrictions to the recall process.

Oregon Republican Party Chairman Bill Currier filed paperwork to recall Brown based on what he called the governor's failure to honor the will of the voters and her "politically-motivated agendas." Currier did not return multiple inquiries seeking elaboration.

Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »

Recall elections should be banned. We have elections for reason. if you can;'t win a the ballot box tough. run better candidates
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:11:45 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2019, 09:28:01 PM by brucejoel99 »

*Trump gets elected without winning popular vote*
Republicans: "Deal with it libtards! He's our president now!! This is how democracy works!!1!"

​*Democrats get elected to governorships*
Republicans: "This is against the will of the people & must be stopped!"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »

Recall elections should be banned. We have elections for reason. if you can;'t win a the ballot box tough. run better candidates

There really just needs to be more restrictions on it if it continues to be abused - perhaps a requirement that at least 60% of the public votes against the incumbent, which is a high bar, but perhaps necessary. Or require a very large number of signatures on the petition.

The recall process is useful and it's really a shame that it's being abused en masse and actually becoming a national strategy to try to overturn election results. I get individual instances, even Democrats have done that, but this is getting to be excessive and a waste of public resources to essentially re-run elections.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »

The recall process is useful and it's really a shame that it's being abused en masse and actually becoming a national strategy to try to overturn election results. I get individual instances, even Democrats have done that, but this is getting to be excessive and a waste of public resources to essentially re-run elections.

Yes. I am displeased how politics is just a football game essentially now.

But somehow these recalls do not enrage me the same way gerrymandering does or defense of the current US Senate structure does.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 09:34:49 PM »

The UK rules on recalls that you can't be recalled unless you've been convicted of a crime seem reasonable. But direct democracy and what are effectively referendums being a horrible way to govern, as the Western states are learning the hard way, is nothing new.

The big thing about recalls that enrages me is the obvious attempt to get a lower-turnout, off-schedule election where one side is favored. The rest is just noise.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »

But somehow these recalls do not enrage me the same way gerrymandering does or defense of the current US Senate structure does.

Recalls don't change things much, only one time did it work...and that's because Davis was a useless hack that couldn't please anyone. 
Duke of York

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 11:31:04 PM »

Recalls don't change things much, only one time did it work...and that's because Davis was a useless hack that couldn't please anyone.  
And I hope it stays that way.  The state legislature in Colorado and other states should use their trifecta and outlaw recalls. Simple solution but we always have to make everything so complicated and can never do simple solutions
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »

Republicans should really pay attention to what happened in Nevada. They tried to recall several state senators in 2016, to recapture the chamber. Spoiler alert, none worked and the party appeared as desperate. These sort of desperation tactics only really work if you have nowhere left to go but up, if you still have places to fall like the Nevada Republicans, you will. Now they are in the super-minority and regretting the steps that got them there since they may be out of power for a long time, considering 2020 gerrymandering.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »

Good luck with all this. It is their right to attempt recalls. If the public perceives it as an abuse, it won't work out.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »

These will probably all end up being big flops.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 10:01:59 AM »

Will go nowhere. The GOP are such whiny losers.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 01:30:20 PM »

So I don't know much about state recall laws so this might not be possible... but if it is, why precisely aren't the Democrats using this against Kemp? Or DeSantis? Or Ducey?

Or are Democrats just that spineless and sh!t at politics that they'd unilaterally surrender a political weapon to the GOP?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »

So I don't know much about state recall laws so this might not be possible... but if it is, why precisely aren't the Democrats using this against Kemp? Or DeSantis? Or Ducey?

Or are Democrats just that spineless and sh!t at politics that they'd unilaterally surrender a political weapon to the GOP?
Dems tried that with Walker 7 years ago and fell flat on their faces.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 01:55:12 PM »

How about we not get sucked into a game of tit for tat and instead neuter the ability to weaponize recalls in a systematic manner.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »

Recall laws are not the same in all states, either. Florida does not have recall elections for state-level officials.

In Arizona, an elected official can be recalled for any reason. Threshold there is pretty high, though- 25% of total voters in the previous election for the official desired to be recalled need to sign a recall petition.

In Georgia, it seems that the official that a group wishes to recall needs to do something illegal or borderline illegal to even be considered for a recall election for their position.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »

https://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_recall

19 states have recall elections

Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Kansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada
New Jersey
North Dakota
Oregon
Rhode Island
Washington
Wisconsin
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »

Recall laws are not the same in all states, either. Florida does not have recall elections for state-level officials.

In Arizona, an elected official can be recalled for any reason. Threshold there is pretty high, though- 25% of total voters in the previous election for the official desired to be recalled need to sign a recall petition.

In Georgia, it seems that the official that a group wishes to recall needs to do something illegal or borderline illegal to even be considered for a recall election for their position.

Thanks very much, the exact info I wanted to know. Seems like it's not an option for the Democrats then (quelle surprise on that front). Looks like Polis and Sisolak are going to get term limited four years early with no response from Democrats other than outrage. Again, quelle surprise.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 03:06:47 PM »

Thanks very much, the exact info I wanted to know. Seems like it's not an option for the Democrats then (quelle surprise on that front). Looks like Polis and Sisolak are going to get term limited four years early with no response from Democrats other than outrage. Again, quelle surprise.

LOL these recall efforts aren't going anywhere.
Duke of York

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »

Its highly doubtful these recalls go anywhere.
Vittorio
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 05:01:06 PM »

This is largely related to the origins of the recall movement in Progressivism.

https://www.heritage.org/political-process/report/the-progressive-movement-and-the-transformation-american-politics

As you may know, in the Republican primaries of 1912, Theodore Roosevelt campaigned for the presidency on a platform of radical constitutional reform enunciated in his "Charter of Democracy" speech, delivered in Columbus in February 1912. There and subsequently, he endorsed the full range of Progressive constitutional reforms: the initiative, referendum, and recall, including the recall of judges and judicial decisions.

It's a historical irony that these "conservatives" are making use of Progressive reforms. And an inexplicable one, unless...
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 05:42:46 PM »

To quote Matt Mercer: they can certainly try.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 06:09:20 PM »

I think recalls should be restricted in one way: the election day has to coincide with a presidential election.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2019, 07:08:08 PM »

Here in Michigan the teachers union successfully recalled my state representative in 2011. At first the Michigan GOP scoffed at the recall effort and didn’t put any effort into saving him, and he lost. Unfortunately the replacement election is held at a separate date, so they spent a ton of money and successfully held the seat with a different Republican.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2019, 08:04:31 PM »

To the Democrats upset in this thread, how is this any different from what y'all tried to do to Scott Walker?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies