In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:53:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In Colorado & other states, Republicans see recalls as a short cut back to power  (Read 2196 times)
Duke of York

« on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »

Recall elections should be banned. We have elections for reason. if you can;'t win a the ballot box tough. run better candidates
Duke of York

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:31:04 PM »

The recall process is useful and it's really a shame that it's being abused en masse and actually becoming a national strategy to try to overturn election results. I get individual instances, even Democrats have done that, but this is getting to be excessive and a waste of public resources to essentially re-run elections.

Yes. I am displeased how politics is just a football game essentially now.

But somehow these recalls do not enrage me the same way gerrymandering does or defense of the current US Senate structure does.

Recalls don't change things much, only one time did it work...and that's because Davis was a useless hack that couldn't please anyone.  
And I hope it stays that way.  The state legislature in Colorado and other states should use their trifecta and outlaw recalls. Simple solution but we always have to make everything so complicated and can never do simple solutions
Duke of York

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »

So I don't know much about state recall laws so this might not be possible... but if it is, why precisely aren't the Democrats using this against Kemp? Or DeSantis? Or Ducey?

Or are Democrats just that spineless and sh!t at politics that they'd unilaterally surrender a political weapon to the GOP?

Recall laws are not the same in all states, either. Florida does not have recall elections for state-level officials.

In Arizona, an elected official can be recalled for any reason. Threshold there is pretty high, though- 25% of total voters in the previous election for the official desired to be recalled need to sign a recall petition.

In Georgia, it seems that the official that a group wishes to recall needs to do something illegal or borderline illegal to even be considered for a recall election for their position.

Thanks very much, the exact info I wanted to know. Seems like it's not an option for the Democrats then (quelle surprise on that front). Looks like Polis and Sisolak are going to get term limited four years early with no response from Democrats other than outrage. Again, quelle surprise.
Its highly doubtful these recalls go anywhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies