Petition to preserve Paygo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:14:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Petition to preserve Paygo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Petition to preserve Paygo  (Read 1787 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »

I openly said in my speech, that even if the current majority keeps its promise (somehow) and manages to cut the deficit in spite of repealing paygo, there are future administrations and future Congresses who won't and heretofore Paygo had been a bullwork against that. If Wulfric had read my speech he would have clearly seen that my criticism are not aimed at Labor specifically when I talk about inactive, stupid, lazy, incompetent members, it refers to all members of all parties who have not done their job, every member I have had to expel or ask to resign, including yes Federalists and RPPers.

I understand the past situations. We intend to do our jobs this term, with or without the paygo provisions, and invite the minority to join us.

You don't get it, it is the same damn thing only you are putting the burden on the debt instead of on lazy, and incompetent legislators to do their damn job.

I think it's pretty unreasonable that you're referring to the new government in such terms. Every member of the new labor/pax majority in the house and senate is an active citizen, and I see no reason why we can't have an honest debate when the time comes to pass a budget. The new Labor Majority is happy to do its job, and minority criticisms of "Nope, you won't, lazy freaks!" are unhelpful and do not get us anywhere.

Whatever happened to the fiscal hawk known as Wulfric? We miss him, though maybe he never existed in the first place.

It's important that we continue to reduce the deficit and I'll vote against any budget that would increase it, but it's not as if PayGo is some magic potion without which one cannot be responsible.
While I believe it works in the South, if it just creates more bureaucracy with little gain federally, I don't mind repealing it.

Enough said. I'm committed to reducing the deficit. But PayGo may not be the best way to do so. If a future Federalist Majority wants to go back to it, that's their choice. But we will be responsible with or without this "magic potion".

Care you elaborate how you plan to do that? Because supporters of the repeal   made very clear they introduced this with no plan already laid out to ensure that our budget is being handled responsibly.

If you can't answer this with a clear plan, you need to realize it's insanely irresponsible to repeal paygo before laying one out.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 08:09:58 PM »

If Bush had followed paygo we would not have had the deficits that we have had for the past 17 years IRL.

Paygo is magical in a sense, it is magical in that it prevents people just letting the general fund (and by extension the deficit) fund programs.

Paygo will not balance a budget, unless it has always been followed for all of time. What paygo does do is keep you from digging the hole deeper. Then you can go back and find revenue streams to pay for things like gaps in funding for healthcare subsidy or social security. You can streamline and consolidate agencies (we have), we can look to find savings through efficiency and auditing in the Pentagon (we have), you can promote and encourage economic stability and growth (we did and I can list those steps by request that were taken).

In several of my campaigns I have detailed the comprehensive strategy to move towards a balanced budget several times, including the above but also things like promoting small business, improving education and technology all of which improve the economy and boost revenues.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 08:28:09 PM »

I would prefer for this to remain a petition thread and for discussions to be handled in the bill thread and the forum thread
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 09:44:47 PM »

x CELTICEMPIRE
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 10:07:45 PM »

X FairBol
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

nah
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »

X LouisvilleThunder

Paygo is our safeguard against unnecessary and reckless deficit spending. As someone who was there in Congress when it was first passed and implemented in both of the Chambers, I believe that it is wrong to get rid that safeguard for purely selfish and lazy reasons. It will cause a decline in the quality of the game as doing cost analyses is what enhances realism. However, more importantly, preventing unnecessary deficit spending makes our future generations of Atlasians less beholden to the Chinese and other rising foreign powers, who aim towards setting us on a path to national default in order to undermine the integrity of our nation while building up themselves and providing for their own people. This is done through the demanding of interest payments on that debt which would be near impossible to pay off in the future. The kind of thinking that deficits don't matter comes straight out of the playbook of Bush and Cheney. Yet, our government is advocating for stripping us of paygo just so they won't have to worry about their policies being realistic in practice.

Deficit spending also limits our economic growth in the future as the interest on the debt will keep piling up and will just result in less funding for the programs we need and investment in the economy aimed at multiplying our growth and prosperity. Let's be real here; the people in the majority in our current government don't care about what's the best course of action to reviving Main Street Atlasia. They're more interested in expediency for themselves as they don't understand how the economy really works.

However, must give credit where credit is due and quote Representative JGibson who supported the passage of Paygo in the House back in 2017 and even advocated for it.

I also rise to support this needed resolution that's upon us to get our fiscal priorities in order.

The bottom line is that Labor doesn't care about governing responsibly. They never had. It wouldn't be wise to trust them on anything of importance to the future of our society and children. However, we should keep up this movement to preserve sanity in the financial state of our nation. This shouldn't be a partisan issue, and I wish for those of you on the left who are reading this to speak up against your leaders' recklessness towards this issue and advocate for them to change course or take your votes elsewhere for the next election. You don't have to have your loyalty beholden to the personas, sychopanths, and tyrants who don't actually care about what's in the best interest of the country and don't care about providing the protection we need to prosper.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »

x reagente
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2019, 11:11:32 PM »

x1184AZ
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 12:18:43 AM »

X John Henry Eden

you have my full support!
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2019, 01:58:18 AM »

X Muaddib

Opening the state up to unfunded programs is an effective way to have the debt explode.
Removing Paygo goes against the Jeffersonian ideal.
Removing Paygo strikes me as the epitome of Yankee Carpetbagging Tomfoolery.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 06:17:19 AM »

x R
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »

First off, I don't believe either the Federalists or Labor has governed responsibly. There is no need to be running any deficit whatsoever. Whenever I passed a solid budget in the south that actually got overran by TM our supposedly 'Federalist' governor who wanted more pork.

Whenever I stated that deficits were not a great thing, I got shouted down by other Federalists who wanted more pork for their pet projects.

Paygo was just ok. It was no great shakes for me. There are better methods to maintain actual budgets that actually fund appropriations without drawing more debt. That being said I also don't think that repealing it will reduce debt and deficits.

Therefore I will sign this to keep PayGo, and to restrain further irresponsible governments from massive overspending.

x --- Ben Kenobi
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2019, 09:55:03 AM »

Maybe Atlasia should try and impose some sort of "deficit reduction rule" similar to the one the EU does irl? Where we get Paygo only if the deficit is above a certain % over GDP in the last budget? If people want a compromise that could be one I guess.

The EU rules impose certain supervision and controls on countries where the budget deficit is above 3% of GDP, which seems like a sensible rule I guess, if it's good enough for the real life EU it is good enough for me.

The last federal budget had a deficit of -562 billion dollars. Assuming GDP is the same as RL, that means the Atlasian deficit is 2.7% of GDP. So Atlasia's deficit is not that large and slightly below the warning threshold. And I trust this administration and Congress will bring it down further.

Remember, the important number to reduce is not the debt per se (though reducing that one is great). It is reducing the Debt/GDP ratio that is important.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2019, 11:53:13 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Maybe Atlasia should try and impose some sort of "deficit reduction rule" similar to the one the EU does irl? Where we get Paygo only if the deficit is above a certain % over GDP in the last budget? If people want a compromise that could be one I guess.

The EU rules impose certain supervision and controls on countries where the budget deficit is above 3% of GDP, which seems like a sensible rule I guess, if it's good enough for the real life EU it is good enough for me.

The last federal budget had a deficit of -562 billion dollars. Assuming GDP is the same as RL, that means the Atlasian deficit is 2.7% of GDP. So Atlasia's deficit is not that large and slightly below the warning threshold. And I trust this administration and Congress will bring it down further.

Remember, the important number to reduce is not the debt per se (though reducing that one is great). It is reducing the Debt/GDP ratio that is important.

Which has to factor in GDP growth as well. 3% is basically breaking even on GDP ratio in good times, and losing ground in most circumstances where 3% growth is so hard to obtain.

I would point out that two years ago, the deficit/GDP ratio was almost 5%. And back then we had an ingame recession caused by the activity metrics that were driving unemployment, which didn't occur IRL.

RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2019, 01:23:28 AM »

xRFayette
SuperCow
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »

x SuperCow

Don't want this republic's finances to end up like the US.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »

x UlmerFudd
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2019, 04:00:28 AM »

X Lechasseur
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 07:00:46 PM »

x Tea Party Hater
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 11:58:53 PM »

xNinja0428
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2019, 12:56:11 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/03/02/gov-kasich-im-not-a-moderate-im-a-conservative.html
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies