UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:38:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71620 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« on: July 24, 2019, 08:07:54 PM »

Jacob Rees Mogg is now Leader of the House of Commons.

That is funny enough to be the thread title.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 12:35:15 PM »

Looks like a 'between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place' scenario for the Lib Dems. The publicity of their semi-refusal to join a Unity Government hasnt been playing well on the media so far and, if this situation were to escalate, could damage their reputation as a Remain Party.

On the other hand, the leadership of the Lib Dems is opposed to working with Corbyn on this issue and, even though many backbencher Lib Dem MPs are fine with this deal, without their approval a deal can never happen. The only way the Lib Dem leadership would withdraw their insecurities about an alliance would be if Corbyn were not the PM, but if such a demand were made Labour would probably just recind their idea of a Unity Government. This isnt helped by the fact that the SNP, Greens, Plaid Cleen, and even about 5 or so Tories are fine with the idea of Corbyn as a caretaker and are in talks to form such a government(diminishing the bargaining power of the Lib Dems and increasing the leverage of the Labour Party).

I dont know how this situation will resolve itself, or if this idea will even be in the spotlight for more than a week, but so far the situation has developed not necessarily to the Lib Dem's advantage.

I've only heard of one Tory, Guto Bebb, who is willing to put Corbyn into office so far.  Maybe more will come out, like Greening, who has been quiet for a month now.  I think she's not yet given up on returning to the front bench in a future Tory govt. though, so I can't see her doing it.

I don't see any reason to believe that the former Labour independents like Ian Austin, Frank Field, etc. would ever vote Corbyn into office either for that matter, along with some of the Tiggers who despise him.  Corbyn is a non starter in this parliament.

The Tories I was referring to were:
Guto Bebb
Dominic Grieve
Oliver Letwin
Nick Boles
Caroline Spelman

All are currently in talks with Corbyn on forming a Unity Government. Greening hasnt said anything yet so far.

Oh.  Grieve has ruled out installing Corbyn though.

Ah, found the article on that. So I guess its more 4 Tory supporters.

I agree that this Unity Government is likely not going to pass at all, but the optics arent favorable to the holdouts.

Spelman has also ruled out voting for Corbyn.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 07:24:58 AM »

Letwin and the CHUK remnant will not support a Corbyn caretaker government.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

Buzz Feed says that Boris and his team are considering additional grossly un-democratic moves to force no deal, such as adding bank holidays, packing the House of Lords, and refusing to step down in case of no confidence

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/boris-johnson-brexit-extreme-measures

Like I said above, can he not just do nothing even if Parliament passes a motion to demand an extension on the deadline? Just pretend he was incapacitated or something?

Its not like the EU is a static entity that can't act for itself and can't see what's going on in Britain. If Parliament passed an extension, is there any reason the EU wouldn't grant an extension even without Boris himself formally asking for one? If they could (and Parliament could push back the UK-specific deadlines) there would be no reason for them to wait for Boris anyway.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »

It sounded like the intended audience of that speech was a dozen Conservative MPs. Why bother with a press conference?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

Seeing as it has been hinted at by certain members of the government - assuming Johnson is mandated to ask the EU for an article 50 extension, but just doesn't actually do it, what happens then? That would technically be breaking the law right? Would he get prosecuted for it?

Also, I want some of whatever Old School Republican is smoking.

He can tie the issue up in the courts which due to time frame could force no deal Brexit . So only option parliament has is to force new election

I would advise that you read up on Parliamentary Sovereignty. This is not the United States and the courts are explicitly not equal to Parliament. The courts cannot challenge a lawful act of Parliament.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »

I wonder what happens if Johnson simply refuses to send a letter to Brussels with a request for another delay. Actually I hope that happens, as I'm sick and tired of Brexit. Take the negotiated deal or just get out.

If he refuses to send the letter ahead of time, he'll be VoNC'd & a caretaker PM will be installed who will send the letter.  If the stalls & stalls & stalls & the deadline passes without him sending it, he'll be sent to prison for contempt.

And as sick & tired as we all are of Brexit right now, it's nothing compared to the madness that would be a no-deal.

Would one though? Last time the issue came up, Corbyn insisted on himself as temporary PM and the Lib Dems/Tory Rebels insisted on anyone but him. The issue went away when a different avenue to attack Brexit arose, but it wasn't really resolved.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 05:07:49 PM »

Lets hope the Tories get a majority, then they can push through Brexit

Johnson is arguably declining the opportunity to "push through Brexit" right now.

I doubt the SNP, Lib Dems, and Labour leadership would be pushing for a longer timetable if they didn't think it would guarantee that they could sink Johnson's deal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies