UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:26:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71179 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: July 23, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »

I, for one, cannot wait to see the Johnson government inevitably implode in the next few months.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »

Jared O'Mara to resign as Sheffield Hallam MP

By far the best thing that he's done for his constituents & the Labour Party. I imagine this'll go back to being a Lib Dem seat, though I wonder who they might put up? I doubt Clegg will wanna come back, now that he's only recently started at Facebook, not to mention the fact that he lost it in the first place.

Already being discussed on the by-election thread.  The Lib Dems have a prospective candidate, and it isn't Nick Clegg.

That's great, considering Clegg is the eiptome of the worst that the Lib Dems have to offer
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »

There are now more Independent MPs (of various descriptors) than at any time since the modern party system emerged in parliament over two centuries ago. There are 40 such MPs even if you exclude Elphicke, which means they overtake the SNP as the third biggest group in the HoC.

The British are currently suffering the curse of living in interesting times
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

What a disgrace.  A minority is holding hostage & completely paralyzing the government.  The UK needs serious constitutional reform if and when this ever ends.

So the government is holding itself hostage, since they're the ones in minority now.

NO.  The remain minority is now holding hostage a governement trying to implement the will of the people.  There's going to be a reckoning in the next election.

Since when was no deal, supported by 30% of the electorate in polling, "the will of the people"? Are you drunk?

Yes, but the people didn’t vote for a deal.  They voted on whether they wanted to leave or not.  No deal was always an option.

So how is one "option" among many "the will of the people"? No deal is an option just as much as EFTA is. The government is blocking "the will of the people" by refusing to put forward a soft Brexit!

If you don’t think the people want no deal, let there be a general election on Oct 15.  I know who will win.

That a party can win because of vote-splitting by its opposition has no bearing on measuring the 'will of the people' writ large. Polling suggests soft Brexit remains the plurality most popular option, and hard (no-deal) is less popular than Remain.

I resisted the conclusion of supporting muh second referendum for a long time, but at this point a second referendum would probably have more democratic legitimacy than a general election, since presumably in a second referendum one of the options would have to get to 50%+1 of the electorate.

The problem with a referendum is it seems that you would have to be three options-- to remain in the EU, to accept May's Deal or to leave without a deal. That seems cumbersome at best, pointless at worst.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:19:26 PM »

What a disgrace.  A minority is holding hostage & completely paralyzing the government.  The UK needs serious constitutional reform if and when this ever ends.

So the government is holding itself hostage, since they're the ones in minority now.

NO.  The remain minority is now holding hostage a governement trying to implement the will of the people.  There's going to be a reckoning in the next election.

Since when was no deal, supported by 30% of the electorate in polling, "the will of the people"? Are you drunk?

Yes, but the people didn’t vote for a deal.  They voted on whether they wanted to leave or not.  No deal was always an option.

So how is one "option" among many "the will of the people"? No deal is an option just as much as EFTA is. The government is blocking "the will of the people" by refusing to put forward a soft Brexit!

If you don’t think the people want no deal, let there be a general election on Oct 15.  I know who will win.

That a party can win because of vote-splitting by its opposition has no bearing on measuring the 'will of the people' writ large. Polling suggests soft Brexit remains the plurality most popular option, and hard (no-deal) is less popular than Remain.

I resisted the conclusion of supporting muh second referendum for a long time, but at this point a second referendum would probably have more democratic legitimacy than a general election, since presumably in a second referendum one of the options would have to get to 50%+1 of the electorate.

The problem with a referendum is it seems that you would have to be three options-- to remain in the EU, to accept May's Deal or to leave without a deal. That seems cumbersome at best, pointless at worst.
Just use STV.

I doubt the Hard Brexiteers would accept the results of a referendum using rules they don't understand
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:58 PM »

Just to think past PMs were resigning after losing far more trivial votes. I mean Rosebery stepped down after the government lost a vote in committee on army supply by seven votes.

Yes, but those Prime Ministers had a sense of dignity and a sense of shame that Boris lacks
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »

Does this deal with the way it ia treating NI mean that CON is no longer a Unionist party and turning into a party of English nationalism

The Tories have been the party of specifically English nationalism for ages. Tories don't actually care about Northern Ireland aside from it being a symbol that some remnant of the Empire remains; it's just that Brexit has put their utter indifference to the people of NI out in the open.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies