UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:46:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71790 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:48 AM »

Maybe if Labour and even Lib Dems didn’t reject every deal May offered , this day may not have come . The fact is Corbyn wants No Deal Brexit which is why he torpedoed every Deal Brexit , as once the deadline passes no deal Brexit will happen.

Yes Boris shouldn’t have done this but this day wouldn’t have come if the parliament accepted Theresa May’s deal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »

How is this measure even enforceable , like No Deal Brexit isn’t something that can’t be stopped unless the PM asks for an extension. Trade is an authority which lies with the leader of a nation so really the only way this can be enforceable is through a no confidence motion which in turn might make no Deal Brexit even more likely .

If Labour and parliament in general worked with May the UK wouldn’t be in this mess .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

Seeing as it has been hinted at by certain members of the government - assuming Johnson is mandated to ask the EU for an article 50 extension, but just doesn't actually do it, what happens then? That would technically be breaking the law right? Would he get prosecuted for it?

Also, I want some of whatever Old School Republican is smoking.

He can tie the issue up in the courts which due to time frame could force no deal Brexit . So only option parliament has is to force new election
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:58:51 AM »

This mess shows why the US system is much better. A strong separate executive branch would have avoided this mess .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »

Is there any precedent for this?

There is nothing they won't pull to cause more dither and delay until the 31st of October so they can leave with their prized no deal

The opposition should pull a Di Maio/Zingaretti and take the opportunity to put forward their own government. It would of course only be a temporary and precarious arrangement, but it would allow the UK to get an extension from the EU and then hold an election that isn't on BoJo's terms.

no would they opposition agree to making Jeremy Corbyn PM. If the opposition doesnt want Johnson  to actually have the power to lead the nation through brexit then they should pass a motion of no confidence and  if they win the election they will still have time to call for an extension.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »

Boris Johnson should have had someone in his party bring up a no confidence motion in himself to have the election happen.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 02:22:42 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2019, 11:35:38 AM by Roy Rogers McFreely »

Uhh, I’m sorry, with everything that’s been happening, how the f**k are the Tories actually gaining in the polls?

because risking the country to a UK Hugo Chavez would be far far worse than Hard Brexit. Before you scoff at the comparision, here:

https://www.cnsnews.com/video/flashback-corbyn-calls-hugo-chavez-absolute-legend-every-way

https://labourlist.org/2013/03/thank-you-hugo-chavez/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 02:29:49 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2019, 11:34:02 AM by Roy Rogers McFreely »

Guys; a Comres poll came out last night with the Tories on 28, and Labour on 27

The lesson of 2017 wasn't that a large poll lead can collapse; but mainly that polling in British General Elections is erratic, and unpredictable.

Uhh, I’m sorry, with everything that’s been happening, how the f**k are the Tories actually gaining in the polls?

because risking the country to a UK Hugo Chavez would be far far worse than Hard Brexit

Have you read operation Yellowhammer? Why do you keep polluting this thread with your hilariously woeful 'takes'.

Chavez 2.0 is still worse
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »

something something anyone left of Marco rubio is Venezuela

Corbyn was openly a supporter of Chavez as late as 2013 .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 12:54:08 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/20/world/europe/boris-johnson-brexit-polls.amp.html

Because the voters have a feeling that parliament is trying to sabotage Brexit plain and simple . If they weren’t trying to sabotage it they would have voted for May’s deal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:43 PM »

I wonder what happens if Johnson simply refuses to send a letter to Brussels with a request for another delay. Actually I hope that happens, as I'm sick and tired of Brexit. Take the negotiated deal or just get out.

If he refuses to send the letter ahead of time, he'll be VoNC'd & a caretaker PM will be installed who will send the letter. If the stalls & stalls & stalls & the deadline passes without him sending it, he'll be sent to prison for contempt.

And as sick & tired as we all are of Brexit right now, it's nothing compared to the madness that would be a no-deal.

The main problem for Parliament is The Tories still lead in the polls by a good amount despite all of this so using traditional means won’t work . And vote of no confidence will just trigger a new election which is what Boris wants
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:19:21 PM »

BoJo asks opposition parties to table a motion of no-confidence. Opposition says "lol no".

Wait doesnt Boris want the opposition to bring forward a no-confidence motion, if so why would he wanted it tabled
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »

Lol So asking the queen to progue parliament is unconstitutional but asking the queen to topple a PM isnt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-30/johnson-s-foes-plot-a-humble-attempt-to-oust-him-as-premier
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »

... yes. Those two situations aren't in any way comparable.

Harper prorogued  the Canadian Parliament for a similar amount of time and parliament has been prorogued in the UK as well .

On the other hand having the Queen unilaterally oust the PM is completely unacceptable and this request is only doing good because the opposition has been too scared to call an election and are unable to form a coalition. The queen should not intervene
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:16:46 PM »

... yes. Those two situations aren't in any way comparable.

Harper prorogued  the Canadian Parliament for a similar amount of time and parliament has been prorogued in the UK as well .

On the other hand having the Queen unilaterally oust the PM is completely unacceptable and this request is only doing good because the opposition has been too scared to call an election and are unable to form a coalition. The queen should not intervene

The Canada situation involved a governor general who felt bound to comply with ministerial advice that was controversial & widely regarded as improper, but it never went to court, so it was never legally ruled to have been improper. In this case, however, the Queen complied with ministerial advice that was so controversial & widely regarded as improper that it did actually go to court this time, & the judiciary ruled it as having been unlawful, so the Canadian & British prorogations aren't comparable.

Moreover, this Humble Address scenario wouldn't be unilateral intervention on the Queen's part; if 326+ MPs were to clearly & formally identify an individual (other than the incumbent PM) in whom a majority of the Commons has confidence, then why should the Queen not invite that individual to form a new government? That's just a straightforward application of constitutional convention right there.

That's 100% different than unilaterally asking the queen to fire a PM. If they cant form a coalition then its their problem
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-stephen-harper-endorses-boris-johnson-at-conservative-party-conference/

The best Western Leader of the past decade gives his thoughts
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »

Can any EU country veto a brexit extension?

I hope they veto it at this point I support Hard Brexit over no Brexit which is what I think other side really wants.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 08:06:25 PM »

I hope they veto it at this point I support Hard Brexit over no Brexit which is what I think other side really wants.

For the umpteenth time: a 👏 Hard 👏 Brexit 👏 would 👏 be 👏 horrific 👏 for 👏 the 👏 UK!

Then would you support a referendum between these two options : The May Deal or Hard Brexit .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »

For the umpteenth time: a 👏 Hard 👏 Brexit 👏 would 👏 be 👏 horrific 👏 for 👏 the 👏 UK!

It helps to support the Hard Brexit if you'll be thousands of miles away from the nightmare happening after that.

I have a cousin who lives there and my dad has a sister who lives there(My dad’s position on the issue is even more pro Brexit than mine)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »

https://www.ft.com/content/2d8aee46-e42f-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

The last time a British prime minister was dismissed was in 1834, when William IV dismissed Lord Melbourne.

Looks like I was right when I said Queen firing Boris is different from a VONC taking him down.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »

https://www.ft.com/content/2d8aee46-e42f-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

The last time a British prime minister was dismissed was in 1834, when William IV dismissed Lord Melbourne.

Looks like I was right when I said Queen firing Boris is different from a VONC taking him down.

This article is paywalled.

To dismiss a prime minister and his or her government on the monarch's own authority. This was last done in Britain in 1834 by King William IV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_power
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 12:54:49 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/boris-johnson-close-to-brexit-deal-after-border-concessions

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/the-votes-are-now-there-for-brexit-deal-says-jacob-rees-mogg
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »

If he gets this passed then I think it will only reflect how bad a PM May was.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

I know posters on here hate my opinion but I think I have been validated by this entire process. A presidential system is far better than a parliamentary one . A President would not have been handcuffed by parliament throughout negotiations and trash laws like the Benn act would never have been signed into law without a 2/3 vote.

If their really was a firm threat of No-Deal Brexit, I can bet you the UK gets a much better deal from the EU then they will ever get .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:50 PM »

I know posters on here hate my opinion but I think I have been validated by this entire process. A presidential system is far better than a parliamentary one . A President would not have been handcuffed by parliament throughout negotiations and trash laws like the Benn act would never have been signed into law without a 2/3 vote.

The only thing that has been validated by this entire process is the principle of checks & balances. And the only thing that's trash about the Benn Act (the sole purpose of which has been to prevent a no-deal exit) is your opinion about it.

If their really was a firm threat of No-Deal Brexit, I can bet you the UK gets a much better deal from the EU then they will ever get .

As much as BoJo has already made it, the threat of a no-deal Brexit would've been infinitely worse had Parliament not been there to take it off the table.

Well yeah it was immensely idiotic to take no deal off the table. It was their best bargaining chip

"Please Mr. EU, give me the deal to end all deals! Or else I'll be forced to shoot myself in the head!"

Quite the bargaining chip indeed.

Removing leverage is a terrible way to negotiate
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies