UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:24:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2019. Blackadder goes Brexit.  (Read 71127 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 23, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »

Corbyn says he'll bring up a no confidence vote after sh**t hits the fan.

Which will be a failure. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:19:49 PM »

The talk is:
Sajid Javid     -Chancellor of the Exchequer
Priti Patel        -Interior Minister (Home Sec.)
Domenic Raab -Foreign Secretary

Edit: All 4 have been confirmed. The four most important positions in government are now held by a Muslim, a Hindu, a Jew and a Christian.

Not to mention a PM whose great grandfather was a Turk and a great great great grandfather was the King of Wurttemburg.  Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »

The EU should refuse to negotiate until Parliament is reopened.

Then the UK will just pull out.

The will of the people was expressed in the referendum, like it or not. 

(I am sure that Trump is asking if he can prorogue Congress.)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

No deal is pretty much locked in at this point, even if there is a successful no confidence motion immediately upon parliament coming back into session a new election would take place after 10/31 and all plans of a caretaker government have fallen through

Parliament can vote to force the government to go for an extension I think. Its a constitutional deadlock if Johnson refuses, but I think there's still time.

But yeah no chance of a GE now which is a shame as I think its the only way out of this. May's crazy GE was not explicitly about Brexit, this one would be.
The problem is that an election explicitly about Brexit would be one that Johnson would win by taking much of the Brexit party support as polling has suggested. With a majority (and much of the Tory mutineers in the current Caucus being forced to stand down or being de-selected) Johnson would have a much easier time dealing with the fallout of a no-deal Brexit

That does make sense.  If Boris is brought down on a vote of no confidence but retains leadership, it goes to the country.  The country puts the now Brexit Tories back it, you probably get a no deal Brexit. 

Only the question on if the UK really wants Bexit will remain; I would expect a Brexit majority to get elected.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »

The EU should refuse to negotiate until Parliament is reopened.

Then the UK will just pull out.

The will of the people was expressed in the referendum, like it or not. 

(I am sure that Trump is asking if he can prorogue Congress.)

The will of the people was expressed once multiple Years Ago by a razor-thin margin. If we are truly concerned about the will of the people, hold another referendum, as polling indicates brexit would probably be repealed.

It always astounds me that the people who just want brexit for its own sake go on about the will of the people and democracy, and yet at the same time our Foursquare of against allowing the people to express what appears to be a majority in favor of second thoughts and regrets.

Oh no, they cry. We can't go back and forth and have a referendum on leaving every couple years. Who will think of the stability? Yeah, sure. Where's your Devotion to democracy in the will of the people now? With that kind of the will of the people binding Nation forevermore, we would still have prohibition in effect.

Just drop it pretense of caring about democracy. Supporters want brexit for brexit sake, and will fight to keep it anyway possible no matter how much of a klusterfuk it is turning into

If a society chooses to use a referendum, it better abide by the results.  It is not a pretense.   

The people made the decision, live with it. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »

Genuinely confused at why I’m seeing so many “Boris has won” takes out there (not necessarily here).

Doesn’t everything kind of hinge on the vote tomorrow?

Obviously, if Johnson wins, he’s shown that he has a majority in the Parliament and Corbyn would have to take a serious look at his options.

If Johnson loses the vote, Corbyn could go back on his call for an election. Boris then decides whether he’ll comply with the request to Brussels for a delay. If he does, Corbyn has succeeded in the short term.

If he does not comply, Corbyn has good reason and strong standing to call a No Confidence vote.

Am I getting anything wrong?

It seems to be the case, except that Johnson will likely face a vote of no confidence, and call for a new election.  It is a gamble, be he will likely win it. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »

I take it that, if necessary, Johnson can arrange a vote of no confidence and get a dissolution? 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »

Or sit as "independent Tories."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »

I take it that, if necessary, Johnson can arrange a vote of no confidence and get a dissolution? 

Boris Johnson: "My crowning achievement was that I was able to force through a voice of no confidence in myself. Please vote for me."

He cannot dissolve Parliament anymore, but it would have the same effect.

"A vote for Boris is a vote for Brexit," would be the main slogan. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 06:23:39 PM »

The 21 includes the father of the House, kicked out after 49 years, some who were in cabinet just a couple of months ago like Philip Hammond, and Churchill's grandson, Nicholas Soames.

Clark also was a minister through both the Thacher and Major premiership. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies